Decal PDF's: What the heck do you do with them?

Bill Epstein

Decal PDF's: What the heck do you do with them?
« on: 31 Aug 2009, 02:34 pm »
I'm finally finishing my Clarinet and replacement  Cornet and have elected to use the Lansing boxes. I would like to use the Hagerman decals but am clueless how to use the PDF file to have them made. A search here turned up little but Ecir making his own and someone else getting them with a ready made Clarinet.

Anybody know what to do? Jim? Toobs?

pretzel_logic

Re: Decal PDF's: What the heck do you do with them?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2009, 03:08 pm »
I would imagine using a decent type label is the way to go. I wouldn't use a standard label, they would most likely curl off but I'm wanting to do the same thing.

You could actually create your own fonts in word and print to a label, finding the right label is the key.

Brian

Bill Epstein

« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2009, 03:37 pm »
I've got a label-maker with clear background tape that I've used for everything up 'til now:

Isn't there something like a transparency you can put in the printer to make a decal from the PDF? If not, why not :scratch:

pretzel_logic

« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2009, 03:44 pm »
I'm sure there is some type of transparent label out there and that's what I'd like to do also, black background with gold or brass colored print.

What is that Sylvania rectifier you're using?

If I find some transparent labels I'll be sure to post, will do some searching.

Brian

Bill Epstein

« Reply #4 on: 1 Sep 2009, 01:36 am »
Found this decal inkjet paper looks interesting and not expensive, Free software, too. It's not clear but seems that you can make a decal of whatever image or text you have on the computer.

Papilio.com  http://texascraft.com/hps/home.php

Anyone familiar with this?

BobM

« Reply #5 on: 1 Sep 2009, 12:40 pm »
I think the real problem is that ideally you would want some transparent material and white print, so it shows up properly on a black chassis. Printers just don't do white print, they can do black background and leave the lettering white, but that's not what I'm talking about. The best you can hope for is some kind of yellow.

I wound up getting a really fine white paint marker from an art supply store. Then I very carefully drew out the letters I wanted. It's not quite as crisp as I would like, but it's not aweful either. I tried using a stencil at first but the paint ran underneath the lettering and smeared, so free-hand was necessary.

pretzel_logic

« Reply #6 on: 1 Sep 2009, 01:16 pm »
I was also thinking about stenciling. Using a plastic stick on type material would work better than a paper product as far as bleed through.

As far as printing in white you're correct, it doesn't work too well and basically on white paper there is no ink used, only background color. That's why I was thinking gold or bronze color, even silver would work well against the black background. Finding the right material is the tough part, don't want the decal to stick out like a sore thumb.

analog97

« Reply #7 on: 1 Sep 2009, 02:35 pm »
All these difficulties loom and the end result is....NOT SILKSCREEN!!  That is why I was fortunate to get directly from the Hawaii manufacturer a couple beautiful chassis for the Clarinet and Cornet2.  It was well worth the extra $$.  For me, I like the "1/2 kit plus chassis" option.  Maybe I'm a rare bird and not representative of the market. 

schwarcw

« Reply #8 on: 3 Sep 2009, 04:20 am »
Somebody must make white decals, you see them all the time.  They sell in hobby stores for almost nothing.  I think more research is needed.

Carl

schwarcw

« Reply #9 on: 3 Sep 2009, 04:29 am »
This method may be a little time consuming, but it could work.  A couple of practice runs would be needed to perfect the technique.  Look Here

BobM

« Reply #10 on: 3 Sep 2009, 12:34 pm »
Hey, that's cool and looks like something that can be done at home without too much fuss. Anyone here going to give it a shot and report back on the quality and ease of use?

pretzel_logic

« Reply #11 on: 3 Sep 2009, 12:39 pm »
I clicked the link and it was bad. I did find his original source, Micro-Format, but haven't located the exact method with the powder he used. It's something I'm going to try if I find the right material.

Brian

jameshuls

« Reply #12 on: 5 Sep 2009, 02:09 am »
I guess my question is why do you need to have lettering on the chassis? Unless it is professionally done it always looks a bit dodgy.