Anyone have experience with SPL Phonitor?

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Anyone have experience with SPL Phonitor?
« on: 12 Aug 2019, 05:53 pm »
As the title describes.

Looking for my last headphone setup.
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2019, 07:29 pm by Bob2 »

adydula

• Restricted
Re: Anyone have experience with SPL Phonitor?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2019, 12:43 pm »
Hey Bob2...

I have never had the opportunity of using this poece of gear but I have run into some folks in the past that have and like it very much.

I do know that there are a few version of the box, with and without a dac etc..

The crossfeed and angle controls do present many variables that one can play with.

I did build a crossfeed circuit in a DIY amp to play with the crossfeed but IMO it did not add to the experience and it was indeed
very hard to discern a difference good or bad, so I took it out of the circuit and replaced it for a multi-gain circuit.

That said it looks well built and I am sure it will work well..as far as the end game ???

Be interesting to hear your experience if you get one and tell us how it works compared to what your using now etc..

All the best
Alex

Canman

« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2019, 07:43 pm »
HI

I had a Phonitor E version (no DAC).  I thought it was an excellent amp.  pretty neutral and enough drive for any headphone including the Susvara.  these amps have DIP switches for gain settings which is very nice if you own HPs of varying efficiency.

hope that is helpful

Canman

« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2019, 08:27 pm »
PS if you want more of a "tube" sound in a solid state amp I would look elsewhere. 

If you are not adverse to building an easy kit the Pass Amp camp amp from DIY audio store ($327) sounds fantastic with headphones (as good as some very expensive headamps) from the speaker taps.  It can drive all but the most inefficient headphones. Downside is it gets extremely hot and does take a little while to heat up and sound its best - similar to a tube amp.

vonnie123

« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2019, 09:24 pm »
The folks at headphones.com have done a review on it as well as sell it.  I checked one out at Can JAM LA this year and its a nice unit.  I ended up buying a different headphone amp (I have several) but it sounds quite nice.

Urassner

« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2019, 11:19 pm »
Hello,

I have a Phonitor X. I am very happy with it. I have listened to a variety of headphones with it including the hard to drive Abyss Phi and greatly like what I am hearing (I am not very good with decriptions, but do not perceive it as cold). It has plenty of power. I got the built in DAC version, which I think is the least impressive part of it. I am currently using a iFi iDSD which has a better DAC (in my opinion).
I am using it as a headphone amp and preamp. I very much like that it has 2 inputs, and also a balance (laterality) adjustment, since the way my desk is arranged, I cannot sit centered between the speakers. The crossed function is a nice touch and I use it at times (it takes a way a little bass). In my mind, the crossed implementation on the Chord Hugo 2 is better.
One word of caution. There have been some reports that if you unplug the 6.3 mm headphone plug without muting the amp, it can cause damage. I have not had that happen myself, so I cannot verify it, but I try to mute the amp before unplugging unbalanced headphone cables from the amp.

Hope that helps.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 15 Aug 2019, 11:30 pm »
Hey Just a warning here...if you try to use a set of headphones with a stereo amp, with lots of watts....please be VERY CAREFUL guys..

If you dont understand how to do this, you can easily ruin your hp's...most headphones do not need mega-watts of power.

There are so many, much safer options out there....

You need to be able to control the power going to the hps, and the impedance is at issue.

Take a look here if you ever decide to go that route:
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/driving-headphones-with-speaker-outputs.351994/

There are devices out there that will do some of the matching and allow for control of the power out so you wont harm you cans!

Buyer beware!!

Alex

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #7 on: 16 Aug 2019, 12:32 am »
Thanks to all of you that have responded to this request.

I'm at a point where I have a great setup for listening but at some point I may move into a smaller place or even (Good Grief!) assisted living. Having a way to listen to music is important no matter where I end up so a decent headphone setup would allow me to enjoy music without bothering others.
Your input has been helpful. Will see how this develops.....

Thanks!

Bob.

Canman

« Reply #8 on: 16 Aug 2019, 12:57 am »
If you ever have a chance to hear the Pass HPA-1 I recommend it.  It does not get much press over on headfi.org possibly b/c it's $$$$ and perhaps b/c its a no frills amp. 

They do pop up used now and then.  It's maybe the most engaging amp I've heard w/ relatively efficient headphones like the Utopia, Grados or even Abyss Diana. 

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 16 Aug 2019, 12:08 pm »
Bob,

I just turned 70 in June, and I thank God my ears still function really well!!

Getting on in years is a pain at times, but at this age we know what we like and our budget is most likely defined rather well!!

There are so many great choices out there in this pastime, and finding something that you really like is half the fun.

Enjoy your search and let us know what you decide to do!!

All the best
Alex