Super Cheap sale going on at Madisound on Aurasound drivers and subwoofer kits

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Sales on the Aurasound drivers right here. Some deals for diy'ers.

Two subwoofer kits:

Aurasound Sub-4A -good for a small system, especially computer system, think of a pair of Audioengine A5's and this sub together! Original price was $93, new price is $49.

Aurasound WE-Sub - another small sub, a little more expensive with an 8 inch driver instead. Original price $375, new price is $129.

If this thread belongs somewhere else, please move it there!

Anand.

srb

I had to smile when I saw a bullet point in the features list for the WE-SUB that I had never seen before:

• There is a warranty card, but the warranty has expired

Although these are under the heading 'Subwoofer Kits', both subwoofers appear to be assembled units.

Steve

mhconley

I had to smile when I saw a bullet point in the features list for the WE-SUB that I had never seen before:

Steve

I had to smile when I saw this... https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=35_41&products_id=9010

Those just scream WHITE VAN don't they?  :D

Martin

srb

I had to smile when I saw this... https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=35_41&products_id=9010

Those just scream WHITE VAN don't they?  :D

Not really.  Aurasound does manufacture (or contract manufactures) drivers.  The small satellite speakers have lacquer finished wood cabinets, multi-element passive crossovers between the (2" ?) drivers and metal 5-way binding posts.  Minus the cost of the subwoofer, the cost of each speaker is less than $40.

Not my cup of tea for home theatre speaker systems, but as the listing says, "you have to admit, they are adorable".

However, the same bullet applies to this system as well:

Steve

flintstone

Not really.  Aurasound does manufacture (or contract manufactures) drivers.  The small satellite speakers have lacquer finished wood cabinets, multi-element passive crossovers between the (2" ?) drivers and metal 5-way binding posts.  Minus the cost of the subwoofer, the cost of each speaker is less than $40.

Not my cup of tea for home theatre speaker systems, but as the listing says, "you have to admit, they are adorable".

However, the same bullet applies to this system as well:

Steve

Aurasound is a big company thats been around for years. They also own the "Linaeum" speaker technology.... (I just wish they would do something with it  :duh:)

Dave

JohnR

Those 2" drivers sell for $20 each and are used in the Linkwitz Pluto... so they're not junk by any means. Using them full-range seems a bit dubious, but no more than any other speaker of that size. If you can DIY though I'd suggest the NS3-193-8A or NS3-193-4A drivers on sale there instead for small (and cheap) satellites.

srb

Those 2" drivers sell for $20 each and are used in the Linkwitz Pluto... so they're not junk by any means. Using them full-range seems a bit dubious, but no more than any other speaker of that size.

One would think that they would just parallel a pair of those drivers, but they indicate they contain a 9-element passive crossover, so they are making an attempt to optimize their total response by not running them "full range".

But mating a 2" driver with a subwoofer (ala Bose) usually either results in a "hole in the middle", or the sub needs to be crossed over too high.  Amazing the difference though, when one steps up to a much larger 3" driver!

Steve

alphaiii

Noticed there is no frequency response specified for the WE-Sub.

It appears to be sealed...  Isn't 80W more than a little low for a sealed sub?

I wouldn't expect to see much output from this thing.

JohnR

Well, it's an 8" driver, not a true sub. Madisound have the same driver on sale for $20 (well it looks the same) http://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=8991 - looks like it works well in a 1/2 cu ft ported box.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Noticed there is no frequency response specified for the WE-Sub.

It appears to be sealed...  Isn't 80W more than a little low for a sealed sub?

I wouldn't expect to see much output from this thing.

A little off topic but still a nice cheap deal. If you want something cheap and something that will dig deep, look here (as far as drivers are concerned). At $59 there is very little to fault. It reminds me of the old NHT 1259. You'll need a large enclosure though but it can work sealed. Low fs of 15Hz. A sealed enclosure of 3 cubic feet fully stuffed will give a Qtc of about 0.8, an F3 of 33 Hz which when augmented by room gain (throw it in the corner) can reach into the mid 20's. Going to a bigger box only drops your Qtc, it does little to your F3, but you will gain more efficiency and extension in the low end.

No cheap thrills, sorry, it's the law of physics.

Best,
Anand.

JDUBS

Well, it's an 8" driver, not a true sub. Madisound have the same driver on sale for $20 (well it looks the same) http://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=8991 - looks like it works well in a 1/2 cu ft ported box.

What size = subwoofer?  My 15" drivers don't go down much below 50hz, but I have some 8" tapped horns that go below 30hz.

-Jim

JohnR

:scratch:

Oops I mean, yes that is technically correct.