Berkeley Alpha DAC

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Berkeley Alpha DAC
« Reply #20 on: 19 Oct 2009, 09:41 pm »
Barry, so as to keep this thread on topic I've started a new one about the ULN-8 and it's mch capabilities.  Could you respond?  I'd love to know how to use something like a ULN-8 in a home multichannel music setup. 

K Shep

« Reply #21 on: 19 Oct 2009, 11:43 pm »
I would be happy to hear the views of others who own or have heard this awesome DAC.

I had a short listening session with the Alpha DAC.  Great product.  IMO when you get to that level of quality the magic is expected and for me usually is delivered.  I am not going to go on about sound stage and imaging.  The Berkeley DAC is 2nd on my list of DACs after my current DAC. 

srb

« Reply #22 on: 19 Oct 2009, 11:53 pm »
In fact, the Metric Halo 2882 and ULN-8 can both do multichannel work with their Firewire 400 ports, the former at 24/96 and the latter at 24/192.  No glitches. Quite the opposite in fact: especially on the ULN-8, sonic and musical Heaven.

I'm sure this has a lot to do with implementation within the device and its associated software but I'm happy to report FW400 has zero issues on these devices, at least in my experience anyway, over the several years I've been using them. 

That wasn't from personal experience, but heresay.  I know a few people with home studios and that's what they report, but their equipment is much less costly "pro-sumer" type, and I wouldn't be surprised if the FW implementation is not as good as professional studio gear.

I do know that most of the current Apple Macs have a FW800 port.

Steve

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #23 on: 20 Oct 2009, 12:46 am »
My Macbook-to-Weiss DAC2 is FW400 and I've had no problems, all the way up to 24/192.

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
« Reply #24 on: 20 Oct 2009, 12:48 am »
Hi Ted,

Barry, so as to keep this thread on topic I've started a new one about the ULN-8 and it's mch capabilities.  Could you respond?  I'd love to know how to use something like a ULN-8 in a home multichannel music setup.

Of course.
Sorry to you and everyone else if I took this thread off topic.
I responded because of a recent comparison at my studio between the Berkeley and the DAC function in the ULN-8.

Best regards,
Barry
www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
www.barrydiamentaudio.com

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 20 Oct 2009, 12:51 am »
Barry,
No, you misunderstood my post.  It was I who didn't want to hijack, so since I wanted to know more about the ULN-8's mch capabilities i started a new thread for it.  No issues here; this thread is evolving as normal.

K Shep

« Reply #26 on: 20 Oct 2009, 01:33 am »
I responded because of a recent comparison at my studio between the Berkeley and the DAC function in the ULN-8.

I wish you would have mentioned the comparison that you heard between the two DACs.  All I heard was the benefits that you have experienced with the ULN-8.

srb

« Reply #27 on: 20 Oct 2009, 03:38 am »
My Macbook-to-Weiss DAC2 is FW400 and I've had no problems, all the way up to 24/192.

Sorry about the off-topic.  The reference was to hi-res 16 - 24 channel multi-track.

Steve

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
« Reply #28 on: 20 Oct 2009, 11:38 am »
Hi Kirk,

I wish you would have mentioned the comparison that you heard between the two DACs.  All I heard was the benefits that you have experienced with the ULN-8.

In a recent communication with someone I know, I wrote:

"An acquaintance recently brought over his Berkeley DAC (currently being very highly touted in all audio quarters and I can understand why in view of it being created by the folks who did the Pacific Microsonics - my previous favorite).  He wanted to compare it with my Metric Halo ULN-8, which I've been raving about.  And I was curious to hear the Berkeley.

One nice thing about the Berkeley DAC is the switchable filtering it offers.  Indeed, this turned out to be very nice because on the initial comparisons with the ULN-8, the Berkeley sounded constricted and airless with truncated soundstage dimensions, vague imaging and an overall "closed in" sound.  That turned out to be with the new-fangled filter. 

When we tried another filter, the Berkeley no longer sounded like a sad joke to me but took on some of the properties of a very fine DAC.  I still feel the designer of the ULN-8 can sleep quite comfortably at night in that I haven't yet heard anything to challenge it, in every area I know how to describe.  But it reinforced my feeling that none of the write-ups touting these new filters are even asking what the sonic price is.  (I find there is almost always a sonic price for anything.)"

Ultimately, for my ears, when we switched away from the "recommended" filter to one of the others, most of the issues I heard became a whole lot less significant.  I still felt the ULN-8 is more dynamic, gives a better focused soundstage with more expansive dimensions and more solid images, has more extended bandwidth (at both ends) but the differences were now more on the level of "quite audible" rather than complete "night and day".

To be clear, I think the Berkeley is a wonderful DAC, nothing less.
But the ULN-8 has made it difficult to listen to a lot of otherwise great products when it is introduced in a comparison.  If it cost twice as much, I'd think it a steal.

Just my perspective.

Best regards,
Barry

wilsynet

« Reply #29 on: 20 Oct 2009, 11:59 am »
Did your friend who brought over the Berkeley, did he feel the same way?

coops

« Reply #30 on: 20 Oct 2009, 01:23 pm »
Barry Hi, have you ever tried the MH through it's 12volt input?
Keith.

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
« Reply #31 on: 20 Oct 2009, 01:37 pm »
Hi wilsynet,

Did your friend who brought over the Berkeley, did he feel the same way?

I can't speak for him (perhaps he'll chime in here and correct me if I misinterpreted his impressions) but from our conversations, I believe we agreed completely about the initial filter setting. 

Once we switched to a better sounding filter, I got the impression he might have agreed but he did not appear to feel as strongly as I did about the ultimate differences.  (He was going to test a ULN-8 in his own system and when that happens, I look forward to hearing of his experience.)

Of the other folks I know who have compared these two units, all have ultimately favored the '8 (though I don't know which filter(s) they used on the BADA).

Best regards,
Barry

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
« Reply #32 on: 20 Oct 2009, 01:39 pm »
Hi Keith,

Barry Hi, have you ever tried the MH through it's 12volt input?
Keith.

I know folks who use it that way but I haven't tried battery power yet.
I always use my '8 via AC (albeit through a power conditioner, even on remote recording sessions).

Have you tried it the way you describe?  If so, what do you hear?

Best regards,
Barry

coops

« Reply #33 on: 20 Oct 2009, 01:43 pm »
Barry Hi, I haven't ( yet), Gordon Rankin made a linear supply for Clay, and I was just thinking that it might be better vis 12 volt DC.
I will let you know how I get on, great piece of kit though.
Keith.

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #34 on: 20 Oct 2009, 01:57 pm »
ULN-8 spec say 14-28VDC input--not 12. Will it work on 12VDC?
Chris H.

coops

« Reply #35 on: 20 Oct 2009, 09:58 pm »
Hi, it has a 12 volt DC input on the rear panel.

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
« Reply #36 on: 21 Oct 2009, 01:25 pm »
I spoke with the designer of the Metric Halo products and he told me the 2.1 barrel connector requires a minimum of 16 Volts.

A 12 Volt source *must* use the 4-pin XLR connector on the ULN-8.

The '8 uses 33 Watts with no phantom turned on and up to 37-38 Watts with phantom.

Best regards,
Barry

coops

« Reply #37 on: 21 Oct 2009, 01:38 pm »
Barry Hi, that is interesting, so even though it states '12 volt DC'' on the back panel, barrel socket connector it needs 16?
Would it be possible for me to contact the designer do you think?
 Or if  there is a circuit diagram anywhere, it would be interesting o have a linear supply made or battery just to try!
Very best,Keith.

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
« Reply #38 on: 21 Oct 2009, 04:38 pm »
Hi Keith,

Barry Hi, that is interesting, so even though it states '12 volt DC'' on the back panel, barrel socket connector it needs 16?
Would it be possible for me to contact the designer do you think?
 Or if  there is a circuit diagram anywhere, it would be interesting o have a linear supply made or battery just to try!
Very best,Keith.

You can contact Metric Halo via their website or join the MIO list at:
https://mail.music.vt.edu/mailman/listinfo/mobileio

There's also a forum at:
http://www.macosxaudio.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=34&sid=12e4d56cf8cb0d5ec33d436883affa03

Best regards,
Barry