Receptacles

xsb7244

Receptacles
« on: 5 Aug 2014, 08:25 pm »
DaveC113,

You talked about how good the Furutech receptacles are.  Any comments on the Oyaide R1 or Oyaide R-O ?
Would you ever try making your own receptacle?  That would be a future project for you.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Receptacles
« Reply #1 on: 5 Aug 2014, 10:35 pm »
Hi xsb!

The Oyaide receptacles look nice but I have not tried them out. I think a hospital grade receptacle without nickle plating is great for a lower cost option and while the Furutech receptacles are a lot more money the lengths they went in design are pretty amazing. They aren't a high production volume item, so I think the expense is worthwhile if you have the money. In AC power the quality of the connections are very important and focusing on them is worth it! Here's a nice comparison of some of the more common alternatives for audio receptacles:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0114/audiophile_ac_outlets.htm

I plan on offering either hospital grade receptacles that have no magnetic parts or platings, or the Furutech GTX receptacles in the article above.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 6 Aug 2014, 12:26 am »
I never found Oyaides notable in any way.  The GTX's are superb and worth the cash imo.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2014, 01:12 am »
Thanks BRM, now maybe I won't try them out. :lol:  While the Furutech receptacles cost more, the design and build quality are pretty amazing. Luckily my electric box is pretty close to the room my stereo is in, I am going to run 10g romex to a GTX outlet to replace the hospital grade receptacle I'm using on a 15A line.

Here's a link to some info about the GTX from partsconnexion:

http://www.partsconnexion.com/prod_pdf/ftech_74279.pdf

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2014, 02:37 am »
I have Oyaide, Shunyata and even Levitron MRI spec receptacles, with the Oyaide R1's being the most expensive - and spectacular.  Thing is : you need to choose the right version for your application - more expensive is not necessarily better - just different.  E.g the Oyaide R1 are very detailed and dynamic - not so good for a "bright" system or source.  The "black" ones are also detailed, but not as refined as the white R1's (and therefore cheaper). The red and purple are "warmer" - particularly the purple one if memory serves me well. 

Furutech GTX-D Gold is going to be "warmer", rhodium I believe brighter.

So - you need to pick the right "metal" for you application........

As for Furutech vs Oyaide and which is better.  Not sure, but I'd save $ and go with Oyaide - I think your paying bit of a premium for the Furutech name.  Oyaide has just as much of a pedigree w/out as shiny a badge. 

P.s. The Shunyata ZR1 + Levitron MRI are just ok - they do the job better than a $1 hardware one.  I'd go Levitron MRI or Oyaide.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2014, 10:54 pm »
Thanks jarcher!

On Furutech vs Oyaide receptacles, there are a couple of design points I like about the Furutechs... pure copper conductors with a nonmagnetic SS spring to provide the required tension, the damping materials incorporated into the design, and the SS plate that stiffens the assembly up. I think the Furutech is the only receptacle that uses pure copper conductors instead of brass or bronze. Furutech GTX is a bit more expensive but the FRX receptacles might be a better comparison with Oyaide as they are more similar than the GTX. The Leviton MRI are 1/10 the price of the Furutech GTX, so "ok" is acceptable for the price... they are much better than most receptacles, even the decent "spec" grade ones.

I also completely agree about choosing the plating, or lack thereof, to compliment your system and tastes. Rhodium has the rep for being "bright" but I really like the results of rhodium plating on Furutech's pure copper connectors. I don't feel it works as well with other connectors, like the RCAs with the filament style center pins... on those it's a bit too much and the gold plating sounds more balanced to me. It seems like when rhodium is used over pure copper and with a connector that incorporates damping, like the CF and some of the FT series, then it sounds very clear and natural with absolutely no glare or harshness. Of course, these are all pretty expensive.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #6 on: 8 Aug 2014, 01:52 am »
I know I'm preaching to the probably very small choir - but upgraded power receptacles along with dedicated lines are probably the greatest price to performance bargain in high end audio "tweaks".  Even at $240 for the TOTL Furutech would be worth it compared to the other non power treatment alternatives. 

I'm also surprised more audiophiles don't invest in a whole whom HOME (whoops) surge suppressor - but that's another story.  I know many rent - but I'd still talk to the landlord about it.  Receptacles can always be self installed and removed.
« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2014, 03:59 am by jarcher »

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 8 Aug 2014, 02:56 am »
I know I'm preaching to the probably very small choir - but upgraded power receptacles along with dedicated lines are probably the greatest price to performance bargain in high end audio "tweaks".  Even at $240 for the TOTL Furutech would be worth it compared to the other non power treatment alternatives. 

I'm also surprised more audiophiles don't invest in a whole whom surge suppressor - but that's another story.  I know many rent - but I'd still talk to the landlord about it.  Receptacles can always be self installed and removed.

Yup, I will start a thread on it when it's a bit closer to completion, but I plan on combining the world's best surge suppressor with the worlds best receptacles. The surge suppressor is actually a surge eliminator up to 6kV, has under and over voltage shutdown, inrush current limiting, emi/rfi filtration and even startup / shutdown sequencing. All sorts of specs and info here:

http://www.surgex.com/products/rackmount-sequencers-product-line.html

The downside is a captive power cable, and less than optimal receptacles and internal connectors. While adequate, we are after more than that  :wink:   So, I will refurb a few of them by replacing the electrolytic caps just as a preventative measure, installing a Furutech rhodium plated 20A IEC inlet, 3 Furutech GTX duplex receptacles... one in banks 1 and 2 and one in always on, and replacing the wiring with Neotech 12g upocc copper and Furutech push-connectors to replace the stock wire and steel push-connectors. For a power cable Furutech also makes a 20A IEC plug, and I will use the 11g ZenWave PL power cord with that 20 A IEC plug. Basically, a hot-rodded SurgeX with a really nice upocc copper litz power cord, upocc internal wiring and GTX receptacles.  :icon_twisted: 

I don't think there's anything on the market like it... sure there are some high end power blocks, but not with the combination of features the SurgeX offers plus top of the line wiring and receptacles. Pricing will be very, very reasonable too.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #8 on: 8 Aug 2014, 04:14 am »
Whoops - meant whole HOUSE surge suppressor. 

I.e. ideally think it would be great to have a good whole house suppressor, then just use high quality power strips ("distributors") throughout the home systems.  Currently have just a cheapo Eaton unit from home depot and Wireworld Matrix powerstrips.  But something I just read suggests 80% of surges come from INSIDE vs outside home sources (?).  I do use a Furman line conditioner / protector on the main pricey system as well, but wish I could do without it.

The Shunyata Venom PS8 just seems a bit too pricey.  Something more around $350 would be nice.

Anyway - getting pretty off topic - but as your in the trade, thought I'd give you my "wish list".  What your working on seems up my alley, so please keep me / us posted!

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 8 Aug 2014, 05:03 am »
yeah, motors can cause surges, washer and dryers starting and stopping, etc.

A unit like the SurgeX makes a lot of sense for your audio system and TV, but it would cost a lot to apply it to the whole house, and the SurgeX is a unit you can just plug in and use without professional installation, it can be moved easily, etc... And as you said, it will protect from surges and noise generated inside your house. It solves the issue of power distribution too, which should be done at a single point, meaning you want to plug a power distribution block into a single receptacle in your house, hopefully with it's own dedicated line. The reason why and discussion would be a good subject for another thread...  :green:

But I do think the (or course  :lol:) that the modded SurgeX is the perfect answer to powering a high end av system.

genjamon

« Reply #10 on: 8 Aug 2014, 01:13 pm »
How would this compare to the BussStop that Dave at Pi Audio offers?

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #11 on: 8 Aug 2014, 01:52 pm »
Hi genjamon. I am not familiar enough with the PI Audio products to know.

One of the things unique about the SurgeX is the type of surge protection it offers, which is patented and not MOV-based. The quality of the surge protection is the biggest reason I want to use the units. More extensive info here:

http://www.surgex.com/aboutus.html

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #12 on: 8 Aug 2014, 06:51 pm »
Hi genjamon. I am not familiar enough with the PI Audio products to know.

One of the things unique about the SurgeX is the type of surge protection it offers, which is patented and not MOV-based. The quality of the surge protection is the biggest reason I want to use the units. More extensive info here:

http://www.surgex.com/aboutus.html
The BUSS-Stop is a local surge protector.  It houses a progressive surge catridge comprised of multiple devices arrayed in 3-stages.   It does have MOVs in the last stage as a failsafe for BIG hits.  99+% of surges will never see the MOV section.  The ultimate clamping abilitity is ~ 40KA.. I developed it because I wanted to be in control of my destiny and not have to depend as much on specialty vendors as possible.  If a cartridge ever needs to be replaced I replace it for free as part of my lifetime warranty.

If I were not building my own, Surge-X is the one I would use and recommend for local suppression.  The standard ROTM commercial suppressors like Furman, Tripplite and other forms of semi-pro (?) gear doesn't impress me as sonically neutral.  That is why I came up with the cascaded array of devices.... to essentially take the MOVs out of the equation unless the apocalypse arrives.

I am a believer in whole house protection here in NM.  It is thunderstorm season and my wife would rather we save the range, fridge and TV's I think.  After 46 years with the woman, "yes, dear" works for me.   :)

As far as upmarket receptacles go I uncategorically recommend are Furutech.  Tremendous quality and performance.  When I got my first Oyaide receptacles I found I could disassemble them by hand using no tools.  This was years ago, perhaps they have changed.  I was relatively unimpressed with the build and plating quality.  Plating on the Furutech products is flawless.

Looks like more quality from Zenwave to me  :thumb:

Dave

genjamon

« Reply #13 on: 9 Aug 2014, 12:51 am »
So, I realized after I posted that I was introducing a potentially competing product onto an industry circle. Three cheers to both Dave's for being the awesome, transparent, and ethical businessmen that they are. As a happy customer of both of their products, I was honestly just curious about the technical differences between homegrown AC business men's products that seemed designed for similar needs and to fill similar niches. After some PM's, it sounds like these will be products in different price brackets, so likely not to be direct competition. However, I want to hand it to both of them for being complimentary of each others products, and acknowledging differences, positives, and strengths of the other's products without the need to get defensive or evasive/protective about details, both in my PM's as well as Dave's response on this thread. Just awesome guys.  :thumb:

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #14 on: 9 Aug 2014, 01:07 am »
Hi Dave, thanks for the info and it sounds like you did your homework and testing to make sure the Buss-Stop is transparent. Great name too.  :thumb:  I took the easy way and am simply modifying an existing product to suit home-based high end audio systems better.   :green:

genjamon, I think it's ok to ask about different products. As I mentioned in the forum guidelines, most audio business owners have a real passion for the hobby and since there is a large subjective element in audio, there is plenty of room for various products at different price points. I think we realize this and have respect for each others' efforts, which is great and in the end simply allows for more choice to best suit different systems and budgets. I also like the growth of direct-marketed businesses, and not only in audio. It's great to be able to communicate and buy gear direct from the manufacturer. Since the ummm...  "economic downturn"... folks are more concerned about maximizing value and direct marketed products allow for a much larger bang for the buck vs traditionally marketed products.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #15 on: 9 Aug 2014, 10:07 pm »
Hi Dave, thanks for the info and it sounds like you did your homework and testing to make sure the Buss-Stop is transparent. Great name too.  :thumb:  I took the easy way and am simply modifying an existing product to suit home-based high end audio systems better.   :green:
Thanks, Dave too. 

I appreciate people that think.  Obviously you are one cuz' you went where I would go  :lol:  The Surge-X products are exemplary.  I just have a "I did that" kind of bent and try to come up with new ideas, or at best, my ideas on how to do things.

I have hyperfocus ADD and am a stickler.  My wife Gayle, calls it the "control freak" in me.  OK: I am OCD, ADD, CF, LSMFT, WXYzzzzzzzzzzz.  What this drives me to do is find THE BEST parts to do a job and then sell the products too cheap.  Such is my lot in this industry.

Seems to me that you are in kind of the same boat, but without the mental ilness...... maybe :thumb:

Seriously, those of us that care..... and there are a bunch of us here at AC....... just want to do it right and to spread our love for the medium, the fellowship and to make a modest income for what we do, eh?

Have a great weekend,

<><

D2 

mg8

• Roll Away the Dew
« Reply #16 on: 10 Aug 2014, 01:57 am »
I never found Oyaides notable in any way.  The GTX's are superb and worth the cash imo.

Wow?

I have used Oyaide duplexes R-1, GX and R-0 (favorite) as well as their A/C terminations.  They are excellent quality, great technology, outstanding manufacturing tolerances.  At one time, I would easily say they were top of the market (edge over the Furutech FI-28 and pre GTX duplexes).  I do think the Furutech GTX is a step up as are the FI-50 plugs.

I am not a Rhodium fan but matching metallurgy with the duplexes and plugs offers some performance benefit. The R-1 takes a long, long time to break-in.  I'd recommend a cable cooker break-in for 5 days.

If you don't spring for the GTX the Oyaide is the next best thing with more metallurgic "flavors" than Furutech.

IMO

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #17 on: 10 Aug 2014, 04:01 am »
Hi Dave,  I think you do have to have a certain "something" to be into audio, nevermind wanting to do it all yourself! ...so we probably all have some "uniqueness".  :wink:    I like audio because it's a unique combination of engineering and art. The subjective and artistic side has a fairly wide range of preferences and also price points so there is room for a lot of good audio companies to coexist. It's a niche and most won't get rich, but it's most important to enjoy what you're doing, and I do. Have a great weekend yourself!  Also, let me know if you're going to RMAF this year, I'm a local.

mg8,  I have heard good things about Oyaide receptacles and AC connectors and was planning on trying them. Maybe I will try them, but the GTX is not much more money. I have a finite budget and time for doing experiments so I want to use them as wisely as possible and I'm not sure testing an Oyaide receptacle is making the list right now. If you're spending money on an "audiophile" receptacle you're going way past the $30 or so for a hospital grade unit and it would be best to just get the GTX.

In general, good connectors are expensive. But I have found people are happier and more satisfied spending a little extra money on nice connectors.

imassarano

« Reply #18 on: 10 Aug 2014, 06:46 am »
Dave, what about the Maestro? it's a lot cheaper, and in the right set-up could do the trick.

Isaac

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #19 on: 10 Aug 2014, 11:05 pm »
Hi Isaac, I agree that one looks good... I was also thinking about the Furutech FPX(Cu), which is unplated phosphor bronze and goes for $70. This would offer the option of a receptacle with no plating and a price in between hospital grade and GTX. Furutech's phosphor bronze sounds really good, and is used in the FP-101 RCA plug I use. 

Here's an info sheet and pics of the FPX. The quote on plating sonics is perfect:

http://www.partsconnexion.com/prod_pdf/ftech_75940.pdf