richidoo

Re: Damaged speakers - what to do?
« Reply #40 on: 29 Aug 2013, 09:25 am »
Sounds like a good solution!

Saturn94

« Reply #41 on: 29 Aug 2013, 07:53 pm »
Hi,

Just thought I'd give you an update on what I've decided to do with the HT2 speakers.  I've totally changed my plans and have now sold the speakers.  I got a decent offer that I can live with and I've decided to upgrade to a pair of HT3's.  This is the speaker that I originally wanted to purchase and in preparation, some years ago, I bought a Spread Spectrum Technologies Ampzilla 2000 (second edition) that pumps out 300watts per channel conservatively.   The Ampzilla 2000's really are just idling when they power the HT2 speakers and they'll have plenty of power for my uses.  I can't pony up for a pair of Soundscape 8's and the HT3's will be my retirement speakers.

I'm currently working with Jim to order a pair.

Cheers Rod

Sweet!  :thumb:

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #42 on: 29 Aug 2013, 09:39 pm »
Rod

are you holding on to the HT2s until the HT3s arrive or are you parting with them now

If I recall you were our Aussie contingent, that's a slow ship

best of luck in the transition

Rocket

« Reply #43 on: 30 Aug 2013, 12:14 am »
Hi,

The speakers are sold and being collected Saturday.  Yes I know I'll be without speakers for a couple of months but I need to take advantage that I have a confirmed sale.  Salk Sound isn't well known here in Australia.  I have another pair of speakers I can use if I'm desperate.

Cheers Rod

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #44 on: 30 Aug 2013, 01:02 am »
I've totally changed my plans and have now sold the speakers.

You should've listened to me back when:
Why not sell them as is and buy new ones?!?!?!?   :thumb:

WIN-WIN

Rocket

« Reply #45 on: 30 Aug 2013, 03:42 am »
Hi,

I was looking for the cheapest option at the time when I ignored your advice  :duh:.  I've already bought a new turntable and salk sound subwoofer which was to be used as part of this system this year.  With a bit of luck I'll get a pair of HT3's and I'm just working out the fine details from Jim.

Regards Rod

PMAT

« Reply #46 on: 30 Aug 2013, 04:05 am »
Well, well well. You must know what is coming, right ?  :D  Ah-hem, cough cough. The HT3 ah ha moment when the goosebumps rise and the Ampzilla is breathing for you. Then you are gonna have to thank the freaking cats!!!! Hahahahaha dats funny man!

Rocket

« Reply #47 on: 12 Sep 2013, 11:41 am »
Hi,

Just paid for my new Salk Sound HT3 speakers.  Jim had a spare cabinet in red gum which uses the old Aurum Cantus G2 and I've paid a bit less for this speaker than the version which uses the Raal ribbon tweeter.  Whilst it would have been ideal to have the Raal ribbon tweeter in the new speaker I decided to take the cheaper option.  I'm going to have them finished in rose/red dye and hopefully they will look spectacular.

This has been an unexpected cost and I'm glad that I can save a few dollars but also get the speaker that I always wanted.  The Ampzilla 2000's are rated at 300 watts per channel so they should have enough power to drive them easily.

Cheers Rod

martyo

« Reply #48 on: 12 Sep 2013, 01:32 pm »
Hi Rod,

I own the 3's with the G2 and my brother has the 2's with the RAAL. The RAAL is sweet and a superior driver to the G2 and I love listening to it at my brothers but I never sit at home being bummed with the G2. What I do notice at home is the superior midrange of the 3's. I prefer the bass of the 3's too but their positioning requirements are more critical.
I'm also driving mine with 300 watts per channel.
I've also seen some really pretty red gum cabinets.

Congrats and happy listening. :thumb:

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #49 on: 19 Sep 2013, 11:17 pm »
I like cats....

they taste like chicken...!

Rocket

« Reply #50 on: 1 Oct 2013, 10:11 am »
Hi, 

Jim just sent me a photograph of the new speakers.

martyo

« Reply #51 on: 1 Oct 2013, 02:43 pm »
Nice!  :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #52 on: 1 Oct 2013, 02:45 pm »
Nice Rod. Good to see all has worked out well, if not entirely as desired. Maybe you can get Jim to ship them on one of the America's Cup cats returning to your area and you'll have 'em in no time.  :D
« Last Edit: 2 Oct 2013, 12:25 pm by ArthurDent »

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #53 on: 1 Oct 2013, 03:18 pm »

Beautiful

Austin08

« Reply #54 on: 1 Oct 2013, 03:26 pm »
Nice!!!!!

Rocket

« Reply #55 on: 2 Oct 2013, 08:50 am »
Hi,

I'm really quite delighted by the finish of these speakers.  Jim had a left over cabinet which used the aurum cants g2 tweeter and he had one spare xover.  The speakers were originally redgum but whilst they looked nice they wouldn't fit with the decor in my room.  Jim suggested dying them and they have come out much better than what I anticipated.

Apparently they are all packed up and ready for shipping to Australia.  These speakers have to be my last pair that I will every buy.

Cheers Rod

charmerci

« Reply #56 on: 3 Oct 2013, 12:30 am »
These speakers have to be my last pair that I will ever buy.

Cheers Rod

:lol: Ah, ha, ha, ha!!!!  Famous last words......

Rocket

« Reply #57 on: 3 Oct 2013, 09:57 am »
Hi,

No, I'm adamant that my statement is true  :duh:.

These are the speakers that I wanted originally when I ordered my HT2's way back in 2008 but I couldn't afford them at the time.  In anticipation of this purchase a couple of years ago I bought  Ampzilla 2000 mono blocks which are rated at 300 watts per channel and should drive these well.

Anyway thanks for your post.

Regards Rod

Rocket

« Reply #58 on: 4 Oct 2013, 11:04 am »
Hi,

I've really gone overboard and just ordered an eastern electric minimax dac plus and new tubes for my preamplifier and one extra for the new dac.  My perpetual technologies p3a dac is getting long in the tooth and I decided I needed an upgrade and it will be interesting whether I hear any difference with the new dac. 

The tubes in my N.E.W. P3 preamplifier were well over 10 years old but the preamp still sounded great.  I bought the tubes from Jim McShane and they should be here in a week or two.

Wish me luck.

Regards Rod

Rocket

« Reply #59 on: 17 Oct 2013, 08:11 pm »
Hi Guys,

My speakers get delivered today.  Its taken 2 weeks to get here from the US which is a bit slower than normal and it looks like there were flight delays and a hold up with US Customs.  Luckily the speakers cleared Australian customs in half a day and they are due for delivery tomorrow and I can't wait to hear them.

Its cost about $2000AU including shipping door to door, taxes and customs fees.  This time around I was able to avoid quarantine fees due to Jim's thorough paperwork.  Its still worth having the speakers shipped to Australia because there is no product available in Australia that looks and sounds as good as the Salk Sound speakers.

I'll let you know what I think when they are up and running.

Cheers Rod