Expensive power cables?

werd

Re: Expensive power cables?
« Reply #40 on: 28 Jul 2010, 09:31 pm »
I've taken the advise of some posters here and tested some Power Cables.  I spent hours swapping power cables and I can't hear any difference.

well there is your answer, dont buy them. Just so long as you have tried.

RonCH

« Reply #41 on: 28 Jul 2010, 09:32 pm »
If Bryston was so confident in their stock cables they would be hardwired but they are not. They provide gear that uses detachable cords. The cables provided are by  necessity and really don't represent their attitude on the subject.
How would it work?  In Europe alone Bryston would have to make 3 versions of each Amp ( UK, Switzerland, and elsewhere in Europe all have different plugs).  Not to mention Australia and Asian countries having different plugs again.  It's bad enough Bryston have to make two versions for the different voltages.  Can you image one version for each plug?

werd

« Reply #42 on: 28 Jul 2010, 09:42 pm »
How would it work?  In Europe alone Bryston would have to make 3 versions of each Amp ( UK, Switzerland, and elsewhere in Europe all have different plugs).  Not to mention Australia and Asian countries having different plugs again.  It's bad enough Bryston have to make two versions for the different voltages.  Can you image one version for each plug?

Well they put the appropriate regional stock cable in the box, i can't imagine how hard it would to just attach it.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #43 on: 28 Jul 2010, 09:43 pm »
well there is your answer, dont buy them. Just so long as you have tried.

Agreed. Spend the money on more cds and lps.

KnowTalent

• ...stuck in the middle with you
« Reply #44 on: 28 Jul 2010, 09:51 pm »
:lol: no....nice try though.

care to elaborate more?

werd

« Reply #45 on: 28 Jul 2010, 09:58 pm »
care to elaborate more?

you are just throwing it out there. Just like Mfsoa said people like different flavors. They are detachable because the market demands it, no other reason, you will never hear from Bryston what their personal outlook on this since they basically stay out of the topic.  They stay neutral. But nonetheless there is a big enough
market in the believers camp in PC's that they detach or else they would just hardwire it.

vegasdave

« Reply #46 on: 28 Jul 2010, 10:20 pm »
These power cords and fancy cables are nothing more but glorified tone controls, imo.

RonCH

« Reply #47 on: 29 Jul 2010, 07:16 am »
Well they put the appropriate regional stock cable in the box, i can't imagine how hard it would to just attach it.
Ok, I see where you're coming from now.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #48 on: 30 Jul 2010, 03:14 pm »

Attaching the cords takes more time, and thus money.  The more times the case is opened, the more risk for damage. 

I'd imagine the companies make two versions to accommodate the voltages.  Then they determine how many are going to which region based on demand.  That's probably when the packing people include the cable.

Removable power cords isn't due to audio nuts.  I highly doubt my cable box manufacturer used a removable power cord so I can experiment with different one.  Same for my TV, Apple TV, XBox, et al. 

I don't know the exact reason, but there's probably several good ones, otherwise they'd all be hard wired.

werd

« Reply #49 on: 30 Jul 2010, 03:26 pm »
No Stu, they do it so people can put their own PC's on if they choose to. If they are too cheap to buy a decent cord while they give them one compliments. They end up in the landfill anyways so may as well be on the back of their stereo.....  :icon_lol:

nikon

« Reply #50 on: 30 Jul 2010, 04:49 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_cord

'Worldwide, more than a dozen different types of connectors are used for fixed building wiring. Products sold in many different markets can use a standardized IEC connector and then use a detachable power cord to match the local electrical outlets. This simplifies safety approvals, factory testing, and production since the power cord is a low-cost item available as a commodity.'  :o

Napalm

« Reply #51 on: 30 Jul 2010, 08:43 pm »
No Stu, they do it so people can put their own PC's on if they choose to. If they are too cheap to buy a decent cord while they give them one compliments. They end up in the landfill anyways so may as well be on the back of their stereo.....  :icon_lol:

BS.... I'll give you the example of a laptop AC adapter. The power cord is detachable so that they can manufacture just one adapter for the whole world and include the appropriate cable for the destination country. "Upgrading" the cord with a boutique one won't make the laptop compute any better. But yes you will look cool in the classroom with the glowing LED cable.

Nap.

vegasdave

« Reply #52 on: 30 Jul 2010, 10:25 pm »
Good point.

brucek

« Reply #53 on: 30 Jul 2010, 10:41 pm »
The power cables are detachable so an amplifier can be removed from the front of a rack by simply removing all the cables on the rear. No cables need to be unsnaked from their source when an amp requires removal.

brucek

werd

« Reply #54 on: 30 Jul 2010, 10:44 pm »
lousy point, we are talking audio gear not computer laptops. laptop manufacturers buy these adapters and cords by the bulk. Its cheapest way to do it. Bryston isnt going charge 8k for a 14B than give you a landfill cord and expect you to use it because its the cheapest way to do it, because thats what you are saying here. IF they were so confident in their landfill cords they would hardwire it and make it sonically superior then by detaching it. AVA gear hardwires all PC to their gear. Only because they don't believe in aftermarket cords and they want to offer the best alternative and they do that by hardwiring their stock cables.

Its pretty straightforward.

Napalm

« Reply #55 on: 30 Jul 2010, 10:58 pm »
lousy point, we are talking audio gear not computer laptops. laptop manufacturers buy these adapters and cords by the bulk. Its cheapest way to do it. Bryston isnt going charge 8k for a 14B than give you a landfill cord and expect you to use it because its the cheapest way to do it, because thats what you are saying here. IF they were so confident in their landfill cords they would hardwire it and make it sonically superior then by detaching it. AVA gear hardwires all PC to their gear. Only because they don't believe in aftermarket cords and they want to offer the best alternative and they do that by hardwiring their stock cables.

Its pretty straightforward.

Last time I checked Bryston was selling all over the world. They too have to handle 110/220V and a large variety of plugs.

As for quality. I normally go compare gear in its default configuration - i.e. with manufacturer's supplied cables. I know extremely well the difference between "8 GB of RAM" and "upgradeable to 8 GB of RAM".

Nap.

Napalm

« Reply #56 on: 30 Jul 2010, 11:11 pm »
BTW Werd. Did you solder your speaker cables directly inside the amp?

Nap.

werd

« Reply #57 on: 30 Jul 2010, 11:44 pm »
No way would i screw with my liquid cooled transistors.....

Ryanz

« Reply #58 on: 30 Jul 2010, 11:51 pm »
These power cords and fancy cables are nothing more but glorified tone controls, imo.
:thumb:

werd

« Reply #59 on: 30 Jul 2010, 11:59 pm »

hehe, thats a funny statement since napalm is just so gun ho on tone controls. I wonder if there is any relationship between his cabling choices and his demand for tone controls....

If he took time and cabled he might not feel lacking.