LGK Wedge and Bass Unit Build

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: LGK Wedge and Bass Unit Build
« Reply #40 on: 22 Aug 2015, 12:52 am »
That first coat of primer wasn't anywhere near enough to keep the seams from showing through the white color coat. In the end it took 5 coats of primer to keep the seams from showing. Here are some pics of the Wedge bases after the five coats of primer and one coat of color. The color coat is called snow white.

A couple more coats of the snow white and they will be ready for the poly topcoat

Mike

Ron

« Reply #41 on: 22 Aug 2015, 12:51 pm »
  They are looking great Mike !  :thumb:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #42 on: 9 Sep 2015, 09:53 pm »
Everything is done except for the amp boxes.  I used the amps, a DAC and the computer music server from my system upstairs to set the new Wedgies and 3x8 Wedge basses up in the living room and check them out.  Here are some pics (no they aren't drunk or tilting sideways, that's my camera work):

Ron built the crossovers

Here's a system setup shot

Now to let them burn in some then I will discuss my observations, especially of the 3x8 Wedge design vs a 3x8 H-frame

Mike

jeffh

« Reply #43 on: 9 Sep 2015, 10:16 pm »
Very nice build. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on how everything sounds.

nickd

« Reply #44 on: 9 Sep 2015, 10:20 pm »
I'm Interested too. :thumb:

ebag4

« Reply #45 on: 9 Sep 2015, 10:49 pm »
Looking great Mike, nice job!  I too am anxious to read your thoughts, specifically on the bass units.

Best,
Ed

prokennex

« Reply #46 on: 10 Sep 2015, 12:01 am »
Really nice work; also look forward to your impressions on the wedges with the base units.

Captainhemo

« Reply #47 on: 10 Sep 2015, 01:38 am »
(no they aren't drunk or tilting sideways, that's my camera work)

Mike

How bout' the operator ?   :lol:
Just  rassing you man,   all my photos  turn out the same  way

They  look great , I'm sure your client is going to be thrilled   :thumb:

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #48 on: 10 Sep 2015, 02:03 am »
How bout' the operator ?   :lol:
Just  rassing you man,   all my photos  turn out the same  way

They  look great , I'm sure your client is going to be thrilled   :thumb:

jay

:wine:

Ron

« Reply #49 on: 10 Sep 2015, 02:35 pm »
    Good job Mike. They look great !  :thumb:  Anxious to read your review on how they sound.

Danny Richie

« Reply #50 on: 10 Sep 2015, 04:15 pm »
Good looking speakers.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #51 on: 10 Sep 2015, 04:43 pm »
Good looking speakers.
+1

nrenter

« Reply #52 on: 10 Sep 2015, 06:04 pm »
This form factor really speaks to me. I'm not a big fan of the "penguin feet" but that's just personal preference. I'd prefer a base that replicated the shape of the bass module (just a bit larger) and visually mimicked the gap between the bass and mid/tweeter module. An automotive metallic deep red would be hot, too.  :wink:

How would the performance of the bass module change if it increased in height just enough to house the plate amp in the back of the middle section (or even bottom section)?

Danny Richie

« Reply #53 on: 10 Sep 2015, 06:55 pm »
This form factor really speaks to me. I'm not a big fan of the "penguin feet" but that's just personal preference. I'd prefer a base that replicated the shape of the bass module (just a bit larger) and visually mimicked the gap between the bass and mid/tweeter module. An automotive metallic deep red would be hot, too.  :wink:

How would the performance of the bass module change if it increased in height just enough to house the plate amp in the back of the middle section (or even bottom section)?

A wide base is really necessary to stabilize it. Mine has floor spikes as well.

The tweeter level is already a little bit to the high side. I'd opt to not make it any taller if at all possible. And the plate amp can't really be placed in the back side of the V. It needs to be kept as open as possible.

persisting1

« Reply #54 on: 10 Sep 2015, 07:32 pm »
The base really ties into the Wedgies well. I'm really liking this speaker  :thumb:

Captainhemo

« Reply #55 on: 10 Sep 2015, 07:54 pm »
What is the tweeter heigh now with the  wedgie sitting on the new bass design ?

-jay

ebag4

« Reply #56 on: 10 Sep 2015, 08:11 pm »
Mike, what are you using between the Wedgie and the base?

Thanks,
Ed

brother love

« Reply #57 on: 10 Sep 2015, 10:29 pm »
I must confess that I was skeptical at first, but the snow white cabinets contrast very nicely with the black speakers. The black flared feet add a nice touch as well.  I dig it!   :thumb:

Folsom

« Reply #58 on: 11 Sep 2015, 12:35 am »
Would it really cause any problems to move the single sub foward/back and the other vice/versa, lengthening the cabinet a little bit and then moving the subs closer together? It seems like you could lower two inches really easily, maybe 3.

Danny Richie

« Reply #59 on: 11 Sep 2015, 12:50 am »
Would it really cause any problems to move the single sub foward/back and the other vice/versa, lengthening the cabinet a little bit and then moving the subs closer together? It seems like you could lower two inches really easily, maybe 3.

The woofer frames actually overlap one another already. And the braces are right behind the frames above and below.