Danny and the Super 7's featured in Stereomojo Show report.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
Re: Danny and the Super 7's featured in Stereomojo Show report.
« Reply #20 on: 24 Oct 2012, 05:38 pm »
Wow! That is an amazing looking speaker! Is the sealed version the same shape but with two towers? How about a smaller "kinda sorta like" version as a GR Research Kit? :D

Danny Richie

« Reply #21 on: 24 Oct 2012, 06:06 pm »
Wow! That is an amazing looking speaker! Is the sealed version the same shape but with two towers? How about a smaller "kinda sorta like" version as a GR Research Kit? :D

The sealed version will look a little different with its twin mirrored towers mounted up about an inch apart. And sorry, no kit versions.

jparkhur

« Reply #22 on: 24 Oct 2012, 06:15 pm »
They remind me of the Genisis speakers ... not sure why.. but i like.  i can sell my house and i'll be good for one pair... :P  Or sell my kids...

jn316

« Reply #23 on: 24 Oct 2012, 06:29 pm »
I think you are going to have a lot of visitors to your house, Danny! Not many of us can buy them, but we all would love to sit and listen.  8)

Incredible design!  :thumb:

jn316

« Reply #24 on: 24 Oct 2012, 06:32 pm »
And yes, they will be over $100,000 a pair.

Make's the Super-7s look super-inexpensive! Can't wait to hear them, Danny.

mykyll2727

« Reply #25 on: 24 Oct 2012, 06:55 pm »
Awesome!!!!  :thumb:  I've never seen or heard of anything quite like them.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #26 on: 24 Oct 2012, 06:56 pm »
Make's the Super-7s look super-inexpensive! Can't wait to hear them, Danny.
maybe RMAF next year........

....... too early??? :icon_twisted:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #27 on: 24 Oct 2012, 08:25 pm »
Ahhh...  The elusive OBLS has finally seen the light of day.  They are beautiful!

Hmmm..  I just happen to have a supercomputer digital crossover project and multi-channel DAC that might just fit the bill!  All driven by a MS-2 prototype Music Server! :)

Now to get them in my audio room for experimentation!  BWAHAH,  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  :)

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #28 on: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43 pm »
Okay, Danny, now that you've given us a taste of the bigger ones coming down the line. . .

. . . you did mention that the Super-7 is in the MIDDLE of the line.

Any info on the smaller models?  I thought I remembered somewhere reading Neo3/Neo10/Servo8x3 OB and Neo3/Neo10/Servo8x2 sealed?  Ballpark pricing?

Also, maybe a suggestion, but if you could figure on how to build a stand alone open baffle six servo woofer bass tower with the custom integrated amp out of the big guys, it might be a good product to market to all the really big planar/electrostat crowd.  Heck, even a three (or two) driver tower with a custom integrated amp in a nice package fully assembled could do well for something like the mid-tier Magnepan or the high end single driver crowd?  The stand alone new maggie bass panels are really nice and all, but flat output to 20Hz and useable into the teens in a package that can still fit into a medium sized room AND not give up anything to the panels in sound quality or speed. . . get the price point right and you have them cold.

cab

« Reply #29 on: 24 Oct 2012, 11:02 pm »
Given that the seven has one neo3 tweeter and would seem to be a world class speaker, what is the benefit of having a gazzillion neo3 tweeters?

Skiman

« Reply #30 on: 24 Oct 2012, 11:41 pm »
maybe RMAF next year........

....... too early??? :icon_twisted:

I remember Danny telling me how difficult it was to get the LS9s to fit in the elevator at the RMAF a few years ago.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #31 on: 24 Oct 2012, 11:58 pm »
Where on earth or elsewhere could people hope to go with something like this?  Size isn't everything.  Some units make it rather moot.  With the difference in what my speakers cost and that do a fine job for me, I could take a trip around the world, a cheap one on freighters and stuff like that, and, maybe, build a SOTA listening room.  Of course, some folks could do all three.   Maybe that's Danny's target market.  Well, good luck with that.

rjbond3rd

« Reply #32 on: 24 Oct 2012, 11:59 pm »
Given that the seven has one neo3 tweeter and would seem to be a world class speaker, what is the benefit of having a gazzillion neo3 tweeters?

In general, more drivers means increased sensitivity, which means higher possible SPL's (headroom, dynamics) but also lower distortion at normal SPL's.  Presumably much better vertical power response (i.e., not sensitive to a narrow vertical sweet spot).

But specifically, a line source launches a cylindrical wavefront, rather than a spherical wavefront.  It energizes the room differently, and can sound phenomenally huge.  It can be further refined by tapering the amount of power each driver sees.

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #33 on: 25 Oct 2012, 12:10 am »
Wow, spectacular.

Danny's going big time and I think it's awesome.

He's a smart guy and wouldn't be doing this if he didn't know there was a market for them, and I'm sure the market for speakers like these is bigger than we would guess.

Even I know guys with massive rooms that would require speakers like this to fill them with concert level SPLs on full scale orchestral pieces with headroom to spare, and plenty of people have the disposable income to cover the cost of these with no problem at all.

Rock and Roll Danny!

Any drawings of the sealed version?

cab

« Reply #34 on: 25 Oct 2012, 12:14 am »
I guess if you are using it in a gymnasium it would make sense....

After all the superlatives used to describe the seven, it seems hard to comprehend how these larger models could be seen as a major  improvement in performance; at over $100,000 they certainly can't compete on a performance/cost metric. I suppose there must be a market for them among the 1%.....

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #35 on: 25 Oct 2012, 12:20 am »
Take a look at the Genesis 1.1 speakers for a comparison to the Serenity line arrays.   They are not designed for a gymnasium. 

Heard the original Infinity IRS Reference III's, the father of the Genesis 1.1's in 1979 at an audio show.  Still my defining listening experience for home audio.

Rclark

« Reply #36 on: 25 Oct 2012, 01:16 am »
Alright Danny You just got on my list of I-won-the-lottery speakers.

cleestedwood

« Reply #37 on: 25 Oct 2012, 03:26 am »
Let's just hope the shipping cost doesn't screw up the demo tour! :D

Rclark

« Reply #38 on: 25 Oct 2012, 03:35 am »
^ awesome

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #39 on: 25 Oct 2012, 03:49 am »
And I will continue to lurk,,, so long as it's not costing me 6 figures.  :wink: