North East Ohio

kernelbob

Re: North East Ohio
« Reply #120 on: 4 Feb 2014, 06:09 pm »
With Ray's XC event scheduled for 2/21, how does a Saturday 3/1 get together of the North East Ohio audio group sound at my place?  An earlier date is fine also.  PM me with your thoughts.  Thanks

raysracing

« Reply #121 on: 7 Feb 2014, 02:06 am »
I am in.

raysracing

« Reply #122 on: 8 Feb 2014, 02:48 am »
Need help:

I sold my Dacmagic so I could get something that plays DSD as well as 24/192 high res files via USB (from my recent built msuci server).  But I got thinking about it and to be honest it is expensive enough buying the occasional HD Tracks recordings. I can only imagine the cost of a new DSD library.  My PS3 is not a model that can be used to rip DSD's too. CD Rips sound darn good too as long as you don't listen to a high res right before!

That is one thing.

Next thing is the iDSD is only $189 and the iDac is $299. Ultimately the iDac is supposed to sound better than the iDSD, but of course won't play a DSD file.  So there is that.

Now the last thing.

For about $400 new I can buy a SET amp that is supposed to transform my already quite nice Omega loudspeaker system (I am now running two old subs). This means I may have this good sounding system, but cannot play my digital music for awhile.  Well I have a possible work around. My Sony N100 (which I bought for like a $1) on One Sale a Day plays high res files (PCM 24/192). I could rig it for a few weeks as my DAC, but not using my server, just a thumb drive stuck in the front USB input (AAC and convert my FLAC to .WAV). PITA! Means I will need to make playlist to a thumb drive. Sounds boring.

So really I suppose it comes down to DAC vs SET AMP then if DAC: iDSD vs iDAC.  With a budget of between $200-$400 MAX for one or the either I am torn what to get first. HELP!

EDIT:Just bought a MP 301 MK3 used locally. Yay! Hope to pick it up this week.
« Last Edit: 9 Feb 2014, 09:59 pm by raysracing »

buckeyefanandy

« Reply #123 on: 9 Feb 2014, 11:14 pm »
I too am a Cleveland based audio nut.  Mostly like to listen to music as a way to relax, have fun tracking down new stuff every now and again.  There is a group in NEO called ears and beers that gets together every now and again. 

I would be down for something.

I am in Ohio City.

buckeyefanandy

« Reply #124 on: 9 Feb 2014, 11:16 pm »
I have an scott nixon dac that is super portable I could bring along.  It is nothing to look at, but it has got me by for a few years.

raysracing

« Reply #125 on: 14 Feb 2014, 03:04 am »
Welcome buckeyefanandy. We had fun the two get togethers.

I sold my DAC  as stated now I have this gorgeous used toy from another local AC member. It sounds amazing. So much so that I haven't turned on my subs yet. 4" single drivers producing nice mid bass (finally).
Craziest part, listening to my music server sans DAC through non audiophile 3.5mm output from motherboard! It is just Direct Sound-WASAPI driver. Wait till I get a new DAC!

kernelbob

« Reply #126 on: 14 Feb 2014, 12:41 pm »
Hi all,

I'd like to change the date for the get together of the North East Ohio Audio Group from March 1st to Saturday, March 15th.  Is that Ok with folks?  If you can let me know if the date's OK, I'll send directions for the meet.  Thanks

Bob

kernelbob

« Reply #127 on: 14 Feb 2014, 12:49 pm »
Hey Ray, that's one sweet looking tube amp!  I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Hi Buckeyefanandy, sure, bring the Nixon DAC.  Easy enough to swap DACs in the system.

Anyone else that wants to bring hardware (and music of course), please do.  A Saturday meet will give us lots of time to check stuff out.

raysracing

« Reply #128 on: 14 Feb 2014, 01:53 pm »
Hi all,

I'd like to change the date for the get together of the North East Ohio Audio Group from March 1st to Saturday, March 15th.  Is that Ok with folks?  If you can let me know if the date's OK, I'll send directions for the meet.  Thanks

Bob

Ive got the date down. The guy who sold me this amp is interested in coming too. I cannot wait to hear the VS speakers, cables, etc.

Should I burn some WAV and flac files to disc of what we listened to at my house?  Could be a fun comparo.  Assuming your transport can read a CD-R.

Jonathan

« Reply #129 on: 14 Feb 2014, 02:22 pm »
Ray, congrat's on the new toy(I was at a gig last night, thus the brief reply to your text). Bob, I will be out of town on the 15th. Will have to make it another time. Thanks.

raysracing

« Reply #130 on: 14 Feb 2014, 02:32 pm »
Ray, congrat's on the new toy(I was at a gig last night, thus the brief reply to your text). Bob, I will be out of town on the 15th. Will have to make it another time. Thanks.

Come on over if you have an hour. Well discuss a time. I'm racing Sunday in Allegheny NY, but Saturday I should be home.  Want some ideas on drumming too.

fiveoclockfriday

« Reply #131 on: 14 Feb 2014, 02:35 pm »
Hey guys, I'm Eric - I'm the guy who sold Ray his new tube amp. I've seen your past meetings but couldn't make it. I'd very much like to come to the March event. I don't have much in the way of shareable/moveable gear, but I can bring some music, and beer.

kernelbob

« Reply #132 on: 14 Feb 2014, 06:13 pm »
Johnathan, sorry you can't make it.  We could use your great sounding DAC in a second "DACathalon" along with buckeyefanandy's DAC.

My transport should be able to handle CD-R's if anyone wants to burn some up to 24/192.  Of course any tunes anyone wants are fine also on CD, DVD, BluRay, etc.  Sorry, I still don't have a music server and my turntable needs a phono amp.  I feel like an 8-track user.

I'll post a list so folks can make sure I've got everyone.

bbaxter

« Reply #133 on: 15 Feb 2014, 03:31 pm »
Hi Guys,

I'm in for March 15th!  I will bring music & beer!

bbaxter

« Reply #134 on: 20 Feb 2014, 01:54 am »

Just picked up one of these:

Got great reviews on 6moons & Enjoy the Music.  Haven't hooked it up yet, but I can bring it on the 15th if anyone's interested.

kernelbob

« Reply #135 on: 20 Feb 2014, 05:47 pm »
Regarding bringing the amp to the next NEOhio audio group meet.  Let's see-- linear power supply; class AB (not D) ; 1 to 200k bandwidth; S/N better than 100 dB...  I think you get a unanimous yes!

It looks like we'll have several interesting pieces of equipment to check out at our 3/15 get together.  Looks like a busy Saturday!

Robert

raysracing

« Reply #136 on: 24 Feb 2014, 03:11 am »
Just picked up one of these:

Got great reviews on 6moons & Enjoy the Music.  Haven't hooked it up yet, but I can bring it on the 15th if anyone's interested.

I'll bring your amp on that date. American Birkiebeiner was so awesome and so hard!  I finished 690/1900+ in classic 54k out of the very far back 8th wave oof 9 waves.  I literally passed over a thousand skiers.

Jonathan

« Reply #137 on: 24 Feb 2014, 03:31 am »
I finished 690/1900+ in classic 54k out of the very far back 8th wave oof 9 waves.  I literally passed over a thousand skiers.

I'm tired just hearing about it. Nice job.

Jonathan

« Reply #138 on: 24 Feb 2014, 08:34 pm »
On an unrelated note, I had the pleasure of hearing Don Better's digital "big rig" yesterday. A pair of Vandersteen 7s, top of the line Naim server and DAC, driven by huge ARC monoblocks into a Shindo preamp. Big, fancy cabling galore, too, of course (not sure what it was). It really was fantastic. Huge dynamics, clarity, and fantastic tonal evenness up and down the whole range, including amazing DEEP and clean bottom end (on source material that had it on the recording). Every nuance in the recording was evident, and every recording was a unique experience. Also VERY cool was the Naim proprietary software that loaded onto the iPad detailed information about each recording. Definitely made me wish I had a spare $125,000 sitting around. Went home to my Parasound ZDAC feeling a bit humbled. That said, my system still sounded good, which is a testament how much can be achieved for a fraction of the price of a reference system.

raysracing

« Reply #139 on: 26 Feb 2014, 11:49 pm »
On an unrelated note, I had the pleasure of hearing Don Better's digital "big rig" yesterday. A pair of Vandersteen 7s, top of the line Naim server and DAC, driven by huge ARC monoblocks into a Shindo preamp. Big, fancy cabling galore, too, of course (not sure what it was). It really was fantastic. Huge dynamics, clarity, and fantastic tonal evenness up and down the whole range, including amazing DEEP and clean bottom end (on source material that had it on the recording). Every nuance in the recording was evident, and every recording was a unique experience. Also VERY cool was the Naim proprietary software that loaded onto the iPad detailed information about each recording. Definitely made me wish I had a spare $125,000 sitting around. Went home to my Parasound ZDAC feeling a bit humbled. That said, my system still sounded good, which is a testament how much can be achieved for a fraction of the price of a reference system.
I am sure it was amazing to hear. Did you go shopping there or did he have an open demo?