Chassis & Parts Sources

srb

Re: Chassis & Parts Sources
« Reply #80 on: 15 Nov 2014, 04:57 pm »
As discussed elsewhere, even if the hypex modules are very efficient compared to AB class amps, they do generate some heat, and especially the smps600 seems to suffer from operation in high temperatures.

There is a 11 x 10 matrix of small holes for the top vent, and 10 small slots directly under the power supply for intake (as well as a few extra unused holes for the 'other' module models).

It may or may not be optimum airflow, but certainly better than a sealed case.  Don't know if temperature measurements would be forthcoming as it might open a can of worms as far as what temperatures would be experienced with the non-specific cases, what are the temperatures for ICEPower assembled amps, etc.

Steve

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #81 on: 15 Nov 2014, 05:31 pm »
There is a 11 x 10 matrix of small holes for the top vent, and 10 small slots directly under the power supply for intake (as well as a few extra unused holes for the 'other' module models).

And I guess one could always drill extra holes if so desired. It would be nice if someone who goes for one of these enclosures would measure the interior temperature after a few hours of use.

Old_School

« Reply #82 on: 18 Nov 2014, 10:00 pm »
I'm eyeing the Ghent cases with interest. The module layout looks more like what I originally plotted, but abandoned simply because the Silicon Ray cases were readily available (and cheaper, I might add). I'm also uncomfortable with the possible long term effects of heat in the SR cases, so something with vents is good - looks like the Ghent case has the vents in the top, as well as under the PS, plus the extra holes in the bottom plate for fitting other modules, and it looks like some holes in the back plate.

I wonder if the LED switch could be modified as a standby switch for the nAMPON?

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #83 on: 19 Nov 2014, 07:26 am »
I wonder if the LED switch could be modified as a standby switch for the nAMPON?

I don't see any specs of the switch on their web site, but I assume the actual switch is just a standard switch, and the led light needs a voltage that is probably easy to derive from the smps. Gets a bit trickier if it is designed for direct mains voltage.

clpetersen

« Reply #84 on: 19 Nov 2014, 03:53 pm »
I don't see any specs of the switch on their web site, but I assume the actual switch is just a standard switch, and the led light needs a voltage that is probably easy to derive from the smps. Gets a bit trickier if it is designed for direct mains voltage.

I have had a couple of email exchanges with Ghent re: these cases. I am about to buy them; was planning to build a stereo case, but monoblocks have a certain 'coolness' and appeal.
 These look like well-built cases.

The switch on the bottom only adjusts the LED brightness (changes the value of the series resistor). Not clear if the off position can pull nAmpon low.

I am planning to add a stand-by circuit within the case; I would like the existing LED to become a two color device. Will have to look at this more carefully; perhaps adding a led in the corner for standby indicator would be enough. Not really required.

occamsrazor

« Reply #85 on: 19 Nov 2014, 04:18 pm »
The switch on the bottom only adjusts the LED brightness (changes the value of the series resistor). Not clear if the off position can pull nAmpon low.

I am planning to add a stand-by circuit within the case; I would like the existing LED to become a two color device. Will have to look at this more carefully; perhaps adding a led in the corner for standby indicator would be enough. Not really required.

I'll be very interested to hear what you can figure out about the LED and other aspects.... I have a pair ordered too.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #86 on: 25 Nov 2014, 08:58 pm »
Just received Ghent cases. If you're on the fence about these, I can tell you they look very nicely done. The appearance, fit and finish exceeded expectations.
Unfortunately I won't get a chance to do much with them till we return from a Thanksgiving visit with friends.

I must say I don't understand customs charges. On the Hypex order I had to cough up an additional $65, was expecting to have some similar add-on with these, but nada...a happy surprise.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #87 on: 25 Nov 2014, 09:19 pm »
I must say I don't understand customs charges. On the Hypex order I had to cough up an additional $65, was expecting to have some similar add-on with these, but nada...a happy surprise.
I believe that is based on the governments deal with China.

greenkiwi

« Reply #88 on: 26 Nov 2014, 06:05 am »
Just received Ghent cases. If you're on the fence about these, I can tell you they look very nicely done. The appearance, fit and finish exceeded expectations.
Unfortunately I won't get a chance to do much with them till we return from a Thanksgiving visit with friends.

Those cases look like some really nice cases for the nCores.

lowtech

« Reply #89 on: 26 Nov 2014, 06:52 am »
Those cases look like some really nice cases for the nCores.

+1.  Affordable and doesn't look ostentatious.

dan1502

Re: Show Us Your Core-NCore!
« Reply #90 on: 7 Apr 2015, 07:26 pm »
I've had quite a few enquiries about these on various forums.  Adam has started a thread in his company name, ProtoCNC, here where you can register interest/get in touch if you would like a pair:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/272652-cnc-machined-hypex-ncore-cases-sale.html