Brewing Beer in the Boston area

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Brewing Beer in the Boston area
« on: 18 Apr 2009, 06:35 pm »
We recently had a small work gathering at Deja Brew (http://www.deja-brew.com/) in Shrewsbury and I wanted to let you all know that it was a very cool experience.

As a former home brewer, it was a better experience having professional grade equipment and having all the ingredients available instead of trying to do this at one's house.  The people who run the place are very knowledgeable and friendly and it is a very relaxed atmosphere.  Besides having fun brewing the beer, you can sample whatever they have on tap, plus whatever people donate from their brewing.   

They have over 60 recipes across all the major beer types and you can also go with one of your own if you like.  Depending on the ingredients required for your recipe, a batch of 70 22oz bottles runs between $125-300.

While it is not cheap, I think the prices are very fair and will gladly go back again.

We brewed six different recipes for this outing and so far, the two I have tried have been very good.   :beer:

Highly recommended.

George

stereocilia

Re: Brewing Beer in the Boston area
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2009, 08:37 pm »
Thanks, George.  My own beer-brewing experience several years ago was made easier by the help of a veteran who had already made all the common mistakes so I could avoid them.  It's incredibly rewarding, both in terms of the sense of satisfaction which comes from doing anything yourself, and in terms of fresh tasty beer you get to drink and (possibly) share.  Just thinking about it makes me want to fire up the kettle!

sts9fan

« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2009, 02:14 pm »
I am planting 4 types of hops this season.  Won't get much production this year as the root stock develops.  Next year though look out.  I have a few friends that brew and one guy here at work has a homebrew gathering at his house every summer.  Last year they had over twenty different homebrews.  Good times. 

TF1216

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2009, 02:23 pm »
Did anyone go to Sunset Grill & Tap yesterday (or lately)?  I missed out on Stone Brew last night.  My co-workers keep ranting and raving about their offerings.

sts9fan

« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2009, 02:35 pm »
I think Stone is a great brewery.  Their IPA is good and the Smoked Porter is very good.  Honestly their best offering and one of my very favorite beers is the Ruination IPA

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/4083/

On a side note if you want to go to a real beer bar in Boston skip Sunset and head over to The Publick House.  less selection but honestly far better.  It was ranked the number one beer bar in america by Beer advocate a few years back. 

stereocilia

« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2009, 01:01 am »
I am planting 4 types of hops this season.  Won't get much production this year as the root stock develops.  Next year though look out.  I have a few friends that brew and one guy here at work has a homebrew gathering at his house every summer.  Last year they had over twenty different homebrews.  Good times. 

Planting your own hops.  wow.  That's hardcore.  I remember liking beer with "East Kent Golding" hops, for some reason.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2009, 01:13 am »
I am drinking one of the Porters we made and it is delicious! 

Great roasted and chocolate flavors with a nice strong finish.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2009, 01:23 am »
MMMMMMM...Porter!  My favorite style!

sfox50

« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2009, 01:52 am »
I'm down the road a ways(Mid- Atlantic) & haven't home brewed in a while. I did start working at a local craft brewery last Fall, and it has been very educational! One of the first things I found out was I never got the potential of hops I used, my product was usually under fermented, and that I really know squat about the business of brewing! Good thing I'm in the maintenance department! Beer really is one of life's pleasures. Support your local brewery!!