Tale of a Setup

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
Tale of a Setup
« on: 20 Sep 2008, 03:41 pm »
A customer from the early days of VMPS called me last week.  He had moved into a condo and of necessity had found a home for his 27 year old STIIa/R's in a music store, swapping speakers, turntable and amp for a restored 1901 Henry H Miller upright.  He had been using some highly regarded, expensive compact standmounts (brand shall not be mentioned) with an equally expensive 15" servo sub and was not happy.  He thought the RM2 might serve better but wanted an inhome demo.

This man is a multiple Grammy-winning producer with credits including Howlin Wolf and Clapton, so I decided to give his setup personal attention.  As a bonus, he lives about half an hour from our factory, so the trip would not be too strenuous.  Associated gear was high end but at the reasonable level--a pair of $2000 power amps and a $2500 CD player.  Since he could biamp I decided on the SDE version of the RM2 which offers a lot of flexibility.

The existing system stood between a large LCD TV in a completely bare room, devoid even carpets or drapes.  Subwoofer stood in the front lefthand corner and the standmounts were about 6ft out into the room.  The sound was smooth, well balanced, but bass heavy and rather opaque.  Still, given the lively acoustic it was a good sound and did well by his classical-and-blues program material.

It took an hour to hook up everything biamped through the DCX2496, which I had preprogrammed for my home environment, a highly treated LEDE.  This "standard" program included 6dB of bass channel boost (since the RM2 woofers are considerably less sensitive than the 96dB/1W/1m FST), 4dB of cut at 63Hz to eliminate the floor-to-ceiling (9ft) room mode, 2.9 dB of cut between 1 and 3kHz (Q=2.6 centered at 1.9 kHz) to tame the ribbon mid panel "presence" peak its designer was so fond of (curse you, Dragoslav!), a 220Hz xover at 24dB lowpass and 12dB highpass, and another proprietary EQ which I use to reduce IM distortion.  I also ended up cutting the FST treble level 1dB with the speaker level controls which shelved the top octaves down a bit (this turned out easier to do with the Lpads rather than with the active EQ). 

My customer favors a very strong bottom end so we left his subwoofer in place with a 50Hz/24dB rollin and a low overall level.  Some fiddling with the phase control also helped the blend.

I made many microadjustments of woofer level and EQ settings, but the end result was stunning: a completely natural frequency balance from 20Hz to 20kHz with outstanding tonal quality and a transparenency that allowed extraordinary listening through the music right back into the hall.  Both customer and designer were very pleased.

Goes to show: the small adjustments available with our digital crossover and EQ (which sounded very non-electronic when we were done) can overcome the problems of an undamped environment and give listening pleasure beyond that available from the flattest, low-distortion speakers (which he already had) because the room can be "dialed out" with a just good ear and a few clicks.  No, we used no test equipment.

Go SDE, young man.  It's a recipe for success. 

audiochef

Re: Tale of a Setup
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2008, 04:23 pm »
Along the same lines here. I still own tower2 SEs (tweaked out) .Although I can't accomodate them in my dwellings they do wonderfully at my mom- step dads. driven by a modded p3 tt,AT440mla Yaqin tubed phono stage and a big Harmon Kardon avr receiver.
This system is supremely musical and detailed with excelent tonal balance throughout . I enjoy this almost as much as my reference 40s system. KISS and alittle tenacity will yield oustanding results via VMPS.
Stan

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2008, 04:43 pm »
Great customer service.  Would you please stop by when you are next in East Coast and tune my set up?  I will treat you to a nice dinner.  :wink:

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2008, 05:15 pm »
Great customer service.  Would you please stop by when you are next in East Coast and tune my set up?  I will treat you to a nice dinner.  :wink:

I believe B's trip can be included in your next RM v60 SDE order  aa

Brian Cheney

« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2008, 08:42 pm »
Hey, I even interrupted a Florida vacation once to visit an RM40 owner and tune his system.  I've done 500+ home visits over the years--the owners were usually quite surprised to see me, I might add.

Zheeeem

« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2008, 09:26 pm »
I've done 500+ home visits over the years--the owners were usually quite surprised to see me, I might add.

Next time, try the front door instead of sneaking in the window wearing a ski mask.

Brian Cheney

« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2008, 10:10 pm »
I like the Mystery Magician look for all my housecalls.