Quad ESLs at Record Exchange

Batsong

Quad ESLs at Record Exchange
« on: 10 Aug 2015, 09:43 pm »
Was just at Record Exchange on Hampton.  They have a pair of Quad electrostatic speakers for sale.  They look like 63's.  Cords missing and untested, but RE says they will honor a full-refund if they don't work.  $600.
-Gabe

steve f

Re: Quad ESLs at Record Exchange
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2015, 10:41 pm »
May be a good deal. How long is the warranty? I can just about guarantee that the speakers will fail, as Quads are notorious for having panels assembled with poor adhesives. They are certainly old enough for issues. The cords are just IEC types. They are only there to charge the diaphragms, and are not in the signal system. Do NOT use a class D amp with them.

steve

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2015, 03:02 pm »
Hi Gabe,
I was in the store a couple of weeks ago and they had a pair of Quad 57.  I agree with Steve f, you will need to do some repair and I would call Kent at http://estatsolution.com/   He's in Kansas City and can refurbish/repair any Quad.  The purchase price is cheap and I would grab them.  Then spend the $$$$ to get them back to original condition and you have a piece of history.  If you have them totally refurbished, you won't make any money on them when you sell, but what a great speaker for voice, small jazz and chamber classical.  If those music choices don't appeal, then just pass on them and let the next guy get them fixed. 

steve f

« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2015, 06:04 pm »
Agreeing with Blackmore. If you buy them, and apparently live within driving distance of a great repair facility, you just about can't go wrong. The Quad 63 and newer versions are wonderful speakers. A refurb with modern adhesives etc will last another 15 years, easily.

steve

Batsong

« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2015, 12:18 am »
My mistake.  They are 57's.  Not looking to buy them myself.  Though they look nice.  Putting the word out there, in case anyone else is interested.
-Gabe