fajimr

Re: Latest Live Shows You've Been To...
« Reply #240 on: 21 Jun 2007, 08:28 pm »
jazz fest is coming, jazz fest is coming  :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

http://www.montrealjazzfest.com/Fijm2007/splash.aspx

yippeeee
jim

mjosef

Jazz Fest is here...Jazz Fest is here...Feast NOW!
« Reply #241 on: 24 Jun 2007, 08:27 pm »
Vision Jazz Festival is currently happening...Friday night was my first night, 5 hours of music just $35. (an increase of $10. over last year but still a bargain).
1. Roy Campbell's Ahkenaten Suite. Roy on trumpet, Billy Bang on violin, Bryan Carrott on vibraharp, Hilliard Greene on bass and Zen Matsuura on drums.
2. Matthew SHipp, solo piano...wicked.
3. Patricia Nicholson's "State of mind" multimedia featuring dance, music and art.
4. Fred Anderson Trio. Fred on tenor sax, Harrison Bankhead on bass and Hamid Drake on drums. The most inspired performance of the night for me.
5. Myra Melford's 'Spindrift for Leroy Jenkins'. A dedication to the late violinist LEroy Jenkins.

Wonderful night of music.
Last night is today, Sunday 24th. I am going back for more...yum yum.

MAC - SteveH

• Industry Participant
    • My Audio Cables
« Reply #242 on: 24 Jun 2007, 09:22 pm »
Jefferson StarShip  - last night

David Sanborn last month

mjosef

Vision Festival...Part deux
« Reply #243 on: 25 Jun 2007, 04:29 am »
Missed the first act...but heard the rest:

Hamid Drake's NOW; Drake on drums, Paolo Angeli on prepared guitar, Sabir Marteen on various reeds and dance by Patricia Nicholson. Paolo plays a very strange looking guitar, looks like a regular guitar but also looks like a small cello, using a bow and regular finger plucking.

Jerome Bourdellon- flute, Thomas Buckner- voice, and Roscoe Mitchell on various reeds. Completely improvised music for wind and voice.

Daniel Levin Quartet. Daniel on cello, Nate Wooley on trumpet, Joe Morris on bass and Matt Moran on vibraphone. Being a big lover of the cello I really enjoyed this group...and what sealed the performance was the use of bows on the vibraphone...very unique, and very effective "echo" of the cello parts. Nice, have to see if they got any recordings out.

And to close the Festival... Louis Moholo and Friends. Louis on drums, Kidd Jordan on tenor sax, Dave Burrel on piano and William Parker on bass. Dynamite performance, totally blew the place up...the Kidd and Dave Burrel stole the show, they were cooking and smokin'. Perfect way to end the XII Vision Festival...as the revolution continues...next year.

sts9fan

« Reply #244 on: 25 Jun 2007, 12:37 pm »
WILCO!!!  At The Pines in Northhampton MA.  Un-F'n believeable !  Honestly this venue is absolutly one of the best I have ever been too.  The weather was perfect also so that did not hurt.  MTV and VH1 were filming so the sound was wonderful.  Nothing like a venure where you can stroll up to about 15' of Tweedy and watch the show. 

Charles Calkins

« Reply #245 on: 25 Jun 2007, 01:28 pm »
Jazz attack with Rick Braun. Peter White. Richard Elliott and Jonathon Butler at the Rodney Strong winery in Healdsburg Ca. Show was last Saturday. Started at 5pm and was over about 8pm. Great fun afternoon of wonderful music and artists.

Cheers
                                                           Charlie

nefertem

« Reply #246 on: 26 Jun 2007, 01:00 am »
Hi every one i just saw America on june 13
with Chicago
the great thing about the show is after america finished there set chicago came on and played a few songs
and then america came back out and they played four songs together two america and two chicago songs
the only bad thing it was so cold that night in Boston

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #247 on: 26 Jun 2007, 03:26 am »
6/16/07 Carl Tosten at Crum Bros bakery/coffee shop in Logan.  Very intimate, about 15 in the audience.  $5 ticket included free coffee & cookies & macaroons (too bad nothing I eat now except the coffee, but the stuff sure looked great!)  I'm telling you I feel guilty having this much fun for $5!  Oh, the hard life living in north Utah...Fantastic solo guitarist/songwriter, almost all open cords, tons of percussive & harmonic effects.  Great storyteller too.  Goosebump performance.  Carl's from WA state.   

Venue was intimate, new all-wood exposed frame, cedar walls, gorgeous architecture & garden outside.       

Bought all four CD's for sale at the show.  Unfortunately the 1st one I listened to was recorded so bad it sounded like one channel was out of phase ("American Dream").  Too bad, great music.  The CD "A Road Less Traveled" has better sound quality but still a bit overly diffuse, great all instrumental CD, kinda new-agey kinda like John Tesh on acoustic guitar but less syrupy, more introspective & more poignant, almost sad sometimes but still enjoyable, great car CD or just while sitting here on the 'puter...

Hey, how 'bout the AMA Superbike Race yesterday at the best road track in No. America (well one of the best anyway), Miller Motorsports Park in Toole (Tu-EL-ah, 30 mins west of Salt Lake City).  Ben Spies, Matt Mladin, Jake Zemke...does THAT count?

Bwanagreg

« Reply #248 on: 30 Jun 2007, 02:00 pm »
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones at the Chicago Symphony Center 6/28. Row G baby! Great show. It's the first time I've seen them and they are all amazing players with HUGE ears for improvisation. The surprise guest: Hoard Levy joined his old band for several songs in the second half. The five of them sounded great together.

TONEPUB

« Reply #249 on: 30 Jun 2007, 03:12 pm »
Going to see the Tubes in Portland tonight!
Can't wait!

mjosef

Celebrate Brooklyn...Prospect Park...6/29
« Reply #250 on: 30 Jun 2007, 06:15 pm »
Cool weather, cloudy skies...but no rain.
Craig Harris & the Nation of Imagination...???...that might be a typo, I saw and heard no imagination in his music last night. Dunno what it is with some musicians, but not everybody can be like George Benson...and it would surely help if he had better lyrics. The real vocalist in the band was the saving factor, Carla Cook is good...Craig Harris should stick to his trombone.
Now Ravi Coltrane was excellent, he has truly come into his own these past few years. His Quartet included Drew Gress on bass, Luis Perdomo on piano and EJ Strickland on drums. 60 minutes of excellent music and insight...at one brief moment, Ravi entered that stream of consciousness his father was known for...for just a brief quiet moment.
Groove Collective closed out the night. Been a big fan of this group since they came unto the scene in the early 90's. They have always been able to mix elements from all over the musical world into a unique blend...the band has changed personnel throughout the decade+ ...sounded good, but something was missing...I miss the one armed trumpet guy  :lol:
I had to leave in the middle of their set, and as I walked away...I realized what was missing from the Groove Collective...the freshness, the newness of giving birth to a new sound...its getting harder to find that freshness, that newness to the sound of music.

GregC

« Reply #251 on: 3 Jul 2007, 12:16 am »
My wife and I drove from south of Denver to Omaha Nebraska this weekend to see Roger Waters play at the Quest Center, and we were blown away.  I have seen hundreds of live performances in my more than 26 years of going to concerts, and I cannot honestly think of a single performance that surpassed this one (between the music, production, and crowd energy).  The only concerts that I can remember that came close were:
  • David Grisman at the Sunset Theater in Carmel, CA.
  • The Bridge School Benefit where Dave Mattews, Tracy Chapman, REM, Pearl Jam, Neil Young, and Billy Idol played in a single day with all-acoustic music.
  • A couple special performances by the Grateful Dead and Jerry Garcia Band.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #252 on: 3 Jul 2007, 01:09 am »
Saturday night at USU saw local pianists Ben Salisbury & Brandon Lee, both fantasic.  CD's of the performance should arrive in 3-4 weeks.

Both are very young.  Lee won the USA national competition for best 20-year old pianist & sounds like it, incredible emotion, feel & touch for the keys.  Frankly he was better than the main attraction Salisbury (wife & I agreed) but Salisbury can play & is a great composer too.  They did a duet of Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue that was absolutely phenomenal, brought the house down, goosebumps most of the way through, took us away.  Salisbury's Steinway sounded great, the Baldwin poor Lee was stuck on not great by comparison, unfortunately.  But Lee's rare talent still shown through from the first note he played.       

In typical north Utah fashion, arrived 2 mins before scheduled start time, parked 100' away for free, sat middle 8th row.  Get used to me stating these little trivialities because that's the way it is here all the time.  Show was free but we donated to Salisbury's eduction at USC. 

Saturday w/ daughter & son-in-law visiting we will see another guitarist, John Danley, at the Crumb Bros bakery/coffee shop, intimate & good acoustics, $10ea.  Maybe free coffee & deserts like last show...too bad I don't eat deserts any more...

I spent two hours today w/ the Technical Director of the new USU Performance Hall, best acoustics of any space I have encounterd by a huge margin, makes SF Davie's sound like a carboard box, will start a new thread about it.
« Last Edit: 3 Jul 2007, 01:59 am by RibbonSpeakers.net »

mjosef

Central Park Summerstage 7.1.7
« Reply #253 on: 4 Jul 2007, 04:46 am »
Rodrigo y Gabriela...caught this "free" concert, was curious since I saw someone here (on AC) played their album, which has a cool cover...their sound is huge, very dynamic...
The sound system had some solid bass, I was sitting about 90 feet from the stage and the bass still rocked my stomach. Couldn't help wondering just how many watts the system was running to produce that impact in an open outdoor area.
The opening act of Vietnam reminded me of the rock of the 70's...

Captain Humble

« Reply #254 on: 4 Jul 2007, 12:55 pm »

TOMMY EMMANUAL

Tuesday, June 19th, Bass Hall, Fortworth, TX we saw Tommy Emmanuel above and Doc Watson below on the same bill. Each took the stage independently then did a set together.
This was our second time seeing Tommy and what a treat it is! :thumb:
I agree with Eric Clapton and Chet Atkins, Tommy is the most amazing guitar player I've ever seen.

This is a very old photo of Doc.
If my memory serves me correctly he said he's 84 years old.
The voice is still in fine form and he is still an amazing flatpicker.

Captain Humble

« Reply #255 on: 4 Jul 2007, 12:59 pm »

Wednesday, June 27, American Airlines Center, Dallas, TX

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #256 on: 4 Jul 2007, 02:34 pm »
I've seen Doc Watson maybe six or seven times, last was a few years ago in Sebastopol if memory serves.  Once maybe 30 years ago in San Francisco the hearts of the entire audience about froze out of sheer disbelief in witnessing his fingers fly across the worn fretboard of his Martin Dreadnaught.  Stevie Ray on an acoustic, so to speak...which reminds me of the following: 

Non-players may be interested to note that acoustic guitars have a higher "action" than electric guitars, which have a lower "action".  "Action" is the distance between the frets & the strings above them.  It is not difficult to imagine that the taller the action the greater amount of strength, dexterity & accuracy is required to get a proper sound for every "fretted" note. 

Acoustic guitars require a higher action because they rely solely on acoustic/mechical properties of the instrument to generate sound, whereas electric instruments employ the benefit of one or more electronic "pickup(s)" a fraction of in inch from the strings & an amplifier to generate sound.  (An unamplified electric guitar generates very minimal acoustic output compared to any "acoustic" guitar.  Pickups are often installed on/in acoustic guitars &/or microphones are employed, but the "acoustic" use & nature of the instrument still remains.  Ovation acoustic/electric guitars have a cuved one-piece synthetic resin resonator & generally have a very flat response & controlled output; probably more than any other brand Ovation tend less toward classic "acoustic" guitar sound in favor of electric properties.  They tend to be easier to control feedback & other properties more commonly associated w/ mic'd acoustic guitars.)

For the same reasons as above, acoustic guitars tend toward a thicker string gauge vs. electric.  You can similarly imagine that the thicker the string the more labor etc. is required for each fretted note.

Think about that the next time you listen to Doc flying up & down the fretboard.   

Scott F.

« Reply #257 on: 4 Jul 2007, 04:42 pm »
Hey Cap'n,

My buddy Joe Terry usually plays keyboard for Tommy. Was he with him this tour?

We saw these guys too the night before, up here in St Louis

A couple of weeks ago we saw a terrific show put on by Michael Martin Murphy out at a place called Wildwood Springs Resort. This is a lodge built out in mid-Missouri in the middle of the woods. Bob (the owner) books all kinds of great acts and holds the concerts in the lobby. It seats about 150 people.

Heres a couple of pics I took while we were there.

His voice is still as great as it was back in the 70's. It was just him and his guitar singing Cowboy songs.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #258 on: 2 Aug 2007, 11:20 pm »
Went and saw Dave Matthews Band last night at the Tweeter Center for the Performing Arts in Mass.

Here is the setlist:

Crush *
You Might Die Trying *
Dancing Nancies *
When The World Ends *
Dream Girl *
The Idea Of You *
Grey Street *
Sister +
#27 [new song] *
Still Water *~
Don’t Drink the Water *~
The Maker *
Jimi Thing *Ä
Crash Into Me *
Louisiana Bayou *Ä
Stay (Wasting Time) *

Corn Bread +
Two Step *

Show Notes:
* Rashawn Ross
+ Dave Solo
~ Xavier Rudd
Ä Sam Kininger

I thought the show was only ok.

As a longtime DMB fan (I have seen them 15-20 times), I found the set list lacking and not hitting enough of the "old" DMB I know and love.

I also thought that they never really hit their groove and were able to just flow.

While the band was tight on some of their extended jams (15-23 minutes each - Crush, Dancing Nancies, Jimi Thing, Two Step), they just didn't have the magic from song to song.

I would rate this show a C+ to a B-

George

stereocilia

« Reply #259 on: 3 Aug 2007, 01:05 am »
I seem to have as much or more fun at the $6 cover charge kinds of places rather than the $40 ticketmaster kind of shows.  That doesn't mean I don't go, I just find the cost and audience size disparity interesting.  Like, at "The Cake Shop" in Manhattan last Saturday:

Dr. Horsemachine and the Moneytones
Okay Paddy
Steve Shiffman & The Land of No

I thought all these bands were great.  I mean, even if somebody didn't care for the music it would be hard to find fault with the performances in terms of energy and the sheer "dang this is fun" factor.  By the way I hadn't heard of these bands until searching all the "what's playing" listings.