Latest Live Shows You've Been To...

chadh

Re: Latest Live Shows You've Been To...
« Reply #200 on: 15 Feb 2007, 04:31 am »

Man...it was a week ago already?  My wife and I went to hear Tommy Emmanuel play at The Ark, in Ann Arbor, MI.

Wow.

I heard him live a few times YEARS ago, in Australia.  Once he was supporting Clapton (on a world tour sometime after the Journeyman album).  I remembered him being good, but not this good.  And he's such a natural performer.  The last time I heard guitar playing that could rival this was when I heard John McLaughlin, Al DiMeola and Paco di Lucia on their reunion tour in about 1997.

Anyway, I had a blast.  And I heartily recommend ANYBODY to catch Tommy Emmanuel.  He can (and does) play just about every type of music immaginable, and does it brilliantly while making it all look easy.

I also picked up his laest CD, "The Mystery."  I've heard some of his other discs, and been quite disappointed.  None of them captured any of the energy of his live performances, and often seemed littered with easy listening kind of material.  I'm thrilled to report that "The Mystery" doesn't suffer from these shortcomings.

Chad

mjosef

« Reply #201 on: 28 Feb 2007, 06:26 am »
Rubin Museum of Art: last Friday 23rd attended a concert at this museum's concert hall where all acoustic performances are held. This concert hall must be the best kept secret in NYC. I got friends just a block away and hadn't a clue they held concerts here. Its a small hall, very spacious seating for about 120(?). The space seem to have been constructed with acoustic perfection in mind.
I saw/heard the Frank Carlberg Quintet performing his composition, "The American Dream". I had heard this piece before in a small club with amplification, so I was eager to hear it without amplification. It was so different in an acoustic space...just one negative, the drummer sometimes overpowered the singer and bassist, but only when he was using his sticks, otherwise it was very refreshing to hear the individual instruments, undistorted and naked, as they inter-tangled with each other to make some beautiful music. I think I have found a reference point for live music, this is my new place for concerts.  :thumb:

Brad

« Reply #202 on: 28 Feb 2007, 05:43 pm »
Madeleine Peyroux, last Sunday in Houston.
This was at the Verizon Wireless theater that usually holds about 3000 people.
It was set up cabaret style with tables and probably seated 500-600 people.
I was lucky enough to buy tickets right when they went on sale - so we were in the 1st row of tables just to the left of center.  Very laid back crowd.

Opening act was Richard Julian - solo guy with just a guitar.
Good sound, pretty good singing, funny lyrics. 

Madeleine played with a larger group than the last time I saw her.  Drums, standup acoustic bass, guitar, and keyboards.
The sound was excellent - very balanced.  The guitar player (John ?) was REALLY good.  Only about a 75 minute show, but she has come a long way in stage presence and performance in the two years since we saw her.
Highly recommended.

mjosef

March 3, 2007
« Reply #203 on: 4 Mar 2007, 05:23 am »
Buster Williams Quartet at the Brooklyn Conservatory of Music. Buster Williams on bass, George Colligan on piano, Stefon Harris on vibraphone and Lenny White on drums. Excellent group play, with solos by every player, and occasional duo and trio format as one or two player stand down.
Sound was muddled in parts, especially when the drums was playing full tilt and the vibraphone amplified notes collided. For such a small space they could have dropped the volume on the system  down a notch or two. Didn't see any significant acoustic treatments besides the drapes behind the players across the width of the stage.
The players certainly seem to enjoying playing together, and they had precise timing with relationship to each other's contribution.  :thumb:

martinr

« Reply #204 on: 4 Mar 2007, 11:51 am »
Lyle Lovett, John Hiatt, Joe Ely, and Guy Clark - Acoustic show in Colorado Springs - each player did a song and the next player followed - the guys played real well off of each other, humorous also - no special effects just guitars and vocals - John Hiatt was outstanding.  Highly recommended if your a fan.

Also Steely Dan at Red Rocks last summer 5th row just rt. of center stage - Donald Fagen is a great entertainer, Michael McDonald opened and then sat in with the band.  Music was real and sound was awesome!

ipy

« Reply #205 on: 8 Mar 2007, 09:11 pm »
Went to watch Mariza (World Music-Portugal/Fado) 2 evenings ago at the Sydney Opera house & the performance was mesmerising.  Never knew I could enjoy a concert when 90+% of time I don't understand the lyrics or what was sung!
http://www.mariza.com/index.html
Luckily the musician ensemble was 1st rate as well: Violin, Cello, Portuguese guitar, acoustic guitar, bass guitar & percussion.
And as a added bonus, the acoustic of the Opera house concert hall that evening was well balance between the frequencies with clear vocals & instruments :thumb:.

honesthoff

« Reply #206 on: 8 Mar 2007, 09:32 pm »
Lyle Lovett, John Hiatt, Joe Ely, and Guy Clark - Acoustic show in Colorado Springs - each player did a song and the next player followed - the guys played real well off of each other, humorous also - no special effects just guitars and vocals - John Hiatt was outstanding.  Highly recommended if your a fan.

Also Steely Dan at Red Rocks last summer 5th row just rt. of center stage - Donald Fagen is a great entertainer, Michael McDonald opened and then sat in with the band.  Music was real and sound was awesome!
Would have loved to seen that one.  Check out Guy Clark's "LA Freeway" on the Heartworn Highways CD.  Awesome.

RichardS

« Reply #207 on: 10 Mar 2007, 03:47 pm »
Saw (and listened to) Madeleine Peyroux last night. Wonderful, silky smooth voice. Really tight band. You could tell they really enjoyed playing.  Opening by Ron Sexsmith was also quite good. Had a good time.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #208 on: 23 Mar 2007, 05:11 pm »
My wife and I were at the Barns at Wolftrap last night for good old Tom Paxton who now lives in Alexandria, Va.  His music is like old jeans -- nothing fancy but so comfortable and to be treasured while they last. Even with cold and all, he can still put on a show. 

During the intermission I check the ticket office just to kill time while waiting for my wife (you know how it is with ladies in the powder room) and, lo and behold, they had 2 tickets in the middle of the front row for Vienna Teng in 10 days.  I snatched them up in a heart beat.  I didn't even know she was coming as she wasn't on the card at the beginning of the season.  The Barns should be a perfect acoustic venue for her musical style. :dance:

pjchappy

« Reply #209 on: 23 Mar 2007, 07:02 pm »
I saw Junior Brown last night.  One of the best, most exciting live performances I have EVER seen!

HIGHLY recommended!!!! 

p

honesthoff

« Reply #210 on: 29 Mar 2007, 02:52 pm »
Just got my tix for the May 27th KEANE show at Tower Theater in Upper Darby, Pa.  Saw them about two years ago at Radio City and was very impressed.  Will be interesting to see how the rehab went, and if the kid can still sing. :rock:

CE2

« Reply #211 on: 15 Apr 2007, 12:01 pm »
Local favorite.   Incredible musicans.   www.mattoree.com      SRV, Hendrix, Robin Trower, Leslie West, Buddy Guy, all and more

Berndt

« Reply #212 on: 16 Apr 2007, 03:04 am »
just saw jue yao play a 3 million $ 1713 stradivarius
the instrument was very impressive, I believe she plays well enough to justify it, fwiw.

Didn't make a bad sound...
http://www.sfstation.com/jue-yao-violinist-e25253

Berndt

« Reply #213 on: 16 Apr 2007, 03:07 am »
I saw Junior Brown last night.  One of the best, most exciting live performances I have EVER seen!

HIGHLY recommended!!!! 

p
I've seen him 3times.
 :D

If you like junior I'd suggest the Del McCoury band, as they provide a great live performance as well.
http://www.delmccouryband.com/

Berndt

« Reply #214 on: 16 Apr 2007, 03:11 am »
Oh yeah, while I am at it I just got tickets for Johny Mathis on my birthday in Vegas.
Was really hoping for Wayne Newton but it was not to be this year.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #215 on: 16 Apr 2007, 03:20 am »
Went to Dalliamontes restaurant in P.H. Ca. last Friday. Lot's of Cocktails. (Lost count) 2 bottles of Vino. Tasty dinner. And last but not the least KARAOKE!!!. Man we had a blast!!! Started at 7 and we bailed out about one 1am. Just fun-fun-fun!!!.
Off to Yoshi's in Oakland to see Keiko Matsui this Sat. Sushi-Sake- And a great jazz artist. I don't have to do the driving next Sat. So my lady and I can be "The designated drinkers" this time.

Cheers
                                    Charlie

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Two Johns: Williams and Etheridge
« Reply #216 on: 27 Apr 2007, 02:06 pm »

http://www.bcgs.org/index.php

I just got roped into this one.  My wife calls and ask me out because her date is sick.  She and her guitar teacher were suppose to go and I was really looking forward to playing with my new silent dedicated music PC.   I had even arranged for our little girl's sleepover.  Gosh darn it.  I suppose I have to take her out to dinner as well.  Oh, the price we pay to stay married.  :roll:  Now, I just gotta make sure I get husband points out of this deal.... 8)

steve k

« Reply #217 on: 27 Apr 2007, 03:47 pm »
We saw Pat Metheny and Brad Mehldau with Mehldau's trio in St. Louis earlier this month. It was at the Sheldon which is a wonderful old venue with excellent acoustics and an intimate size. They burned the house down. I counted at least 6 standing O's. They couldn't get out of the place, the crowd kept wanting more. Metheny joked that he took the Amtrak out from Lee's Summit, his hometown outside Kansas City. The drummer, Jeff Ballard wore us out just watching him. They played a lot of music from their new disc, "Metheny Mehldau Quartet". Metheny played his 42 string "Picasso" guitar on one track, The Sound of Water, from the new album. Great time.
steve

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
« Reply #218 on: 29 Apr 2007, 11:45 pm »
This weekend at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival,
Just a few that we were able to take in, Van Morrison, Rod Steward, Dr John, Johnny Rivers, Rockin Dopsie, and many others,
On the food end Soft Shell Po-boys, Cochon-Delate Po-boy, crawfish a tu fay, crawfish beignets, oyster pattys, meat pies, white chocolate bread pudding, ice cream sno balls, and too many others to mention,
"Laisse le bon temps rouler"  let the good times roll

tvyankee

« Reply #219 on: 30 Apr 2007, 12:00 am »
hey

just saw dave & tim last week at radio city music hall and they kicked ass.they played two acoustic geetars and the sound was perfect.

radio city is one of the best sounding if not the best sounding place in new york city.i have seen concerts in just about every place in the city and their is something about this place since it has be re-done that just sounds right.

couple of months back i saw david gilmore and it was one of the best sounding concerts i have every seen and i have seen alot of shows.

if you ever get a chance go see a show there