Latest Live Shows You've Been To...

ajzepp

Re: Latest Live Shows You've Been To...
« Reply #180 on: 15 Oct 2006, 10:34 pm »
Just saw Amos Lee at the Variety Playhouse in Atlanta....what an awesome show. You guys should check him out while he's on tour!  He played for over 2 hrs straight and had the whole place rockin'!

sts9fan

« Reply #181 on: 17 Oct 2006, 03:50 pm »
Last Thursday I saw Club D'elf with John Medeski sitting in for their cd release party. Great show. The venue holds 80 people. John let me share his stool. :thumb:

Up Coming Shows:
My Morning Jacket
moe.
The Disco Biscuits
Primus

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #182 on: 27 Oct 2006, 02:12 pm »
Last night a good friend and I drove down to Kent, OH and experienced a wonderful concert that harkens back to the days of seeing great acts in great informal small venues.  Cowboy Junkies were playing at The Kent Stage, a renovated 800 person theater in downtown Kent.  Margo, her brothers, and the rest of the gang sounded absolutely incredible.  Their 2 hours of intricate details, warm soothing vocals and perfectly skewed alternative sounds went by like it was 5 minutes.  They played a number of songs from the ground breaking Trinity Sessions, a lot of stuff from their new cover album, Early 21st Century Blues, and mixed in a lot of other classic Junkies stuff.  Even two songs from anew unfinished album due in Spring 07.  Margo was as sensual and perfectly pitched as always, and she really talked a lot with the standing room only crowd.  In fact, at the end of the show she commented that she loved to talk ("and the boys clearly don't") and said to give her a few minutes to change and that she'd join us in the lobby to informally chat about anything.  Wow.  We didn't stay (it was after 11 before the music stopped, and we had a drive back to Westlake for work in the am) but would have loved to.  It conveyed the overall open and familiar feeling of the night.  The band clearly appreciates their support and their performance was warm, genuine and intimate.  Nothing flashy; heck, most of them are seated during the show, acquesicing the stage to Margo.

All in all, a great night of music.  The tour continues for a couple more dates.  Go find them on the website.  You will be rewarded.

PeteG

« Reply #183 on: 27 Oct 2006, 04:37 pm »
This month I will see:

Disney’s “Lion King” (great show :thumb:)

Blue Man Group : How to be a Megastar Tour 2.0 (w/ Tracy Bonham)

Australian Pink Floyd Show (this is how I introduced Floyd music to my son, he whats to go back every year now!)

Pete

TIC

« Reply #184 on: 28 Oct 2006, 03:10 am »
PeteG,

Have you seen the Blue Man Group show before? If not, you are in for a real treat. It's an awesome show, but nearly identical to the 2003 version. Only significant difference was that Tracy Bonham was the opening act in 2003, then Venus Hum came out. The female singer from Venus Hum was the female singer for BMG. This year Tracy Bonham was the singer for BMG in Cincinnati.

The Blue Man Group traveling show, How to be a Megastar v2.0 is a friggin' awesome rock show. I recommend it to anyone. If you go to this show and don't have fun, you're dead.......

Enjoy,

TIC

PeteG

« Reply #185 on: 28 Oct 2006, 03:58 am »
PeteG,

Have you seen the Blue Man Group show before? If not, you are in for a real treat. It's an awesome show, but nearly identical to the 2003 version. Only significant difference was that Tracy Bonham was the opening act in 2003, then Venus Hum came out. The female singer from Venus Hum was the female singer for BMG. This year Tracy Bonham was the singer for BMG in Cincinnati.

The Blue Man Group traveling show, How to be a Megastar v2.0 is a friggin' awesome rock show. I recommend it to anyone. If you go to this show and don't have fun, you're dead.......

Enjoy,

TIC

This will be the first time, I bought their DVD (complex rock tour) and since than always what’d to see them.  I was going to see them in Vegas when I go to my son’s wedding and I still might.

Pete

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #186 on: 19 Nov 2006, 05:23 am »
Saw Chris Thile and  How to Grow a Band at the Visualite Theater in Charlotte. Great show even though we had to stand in this small venue. We got here after dinner and there were no tables left but we had a good view near the stage. Thank God it was a no smoking night. I am hoping this will become standard for this venue.

If you are not familiar with him here is an article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Thile
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2006, 09:52 pm by jqp »

robert1325

« Reply #187 on: 19 Nov 2006, 10:55 am »
yo la tengo :D     

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #188 on: 19 Nov 2006, 10:02 pm »
A few more notes on the Chris Thile show. This was a five pice string band with some sound reinforcement. They used two mikes on the stage for vocals and instruments, kind of a "crowd around the mic" scenario which was really neat. There were also mics for these acoustic instruments that were mounted in some way on each instrument.

They did 5-part harmony on some old timey songs, Jimmy Martin and Bill Monroe stuff, as well as some of the bands original songs. This was fantastic!

The style was progressive acoustic/jazz/bluegrass. Chris Thiele has a vocal/songwriting style similar to John Mayers. Not sure who influenced who as they seem to be the same age. Chris dances around while picking the mandolin like the Irishman that he is.

He is very good, blew his bandmates away, and so were the other players. The banjo player plays like Bela Fleck, i.e. he has versitile finger picking styles that are not just the "standard" bluegrass styles.

toobluvr

« Reply #189 on: 20 Nov 2006, 12:39 am »
The Wood Brothers
Joe's Pub
NYC

Upcoming:  the "American Beauty Project"

http://www.myspace.com/americanbeautyproject

Interesting concept, and check out the great lineup!
I love the music and I'll be there mainly to hear Jorma, The Holmes Brothers, Dar Williams, Jay Farrar, and Mark Eitzel.

I used to work in the building. 
Beautiful setting...especially if the Christmas decorations are still up.
And you can't beat the price!     :thumb:

King of NJ

« Reply #190 on: 24 Dec 2006, 05:50 pm »
Sheryl Crow this past summer in Atlantic City at the Taj.  Small theater, God awful opening act, but she was amazing.

The_KiD

« Reply #191 on: 25 Dec 2006, 03:29 pm »
Saw lots of shows this year mainly at the 930 club here in Washington DC.. Latest inlude Social Distortion, DaDa, Mike Doughty, Foo Fighters, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, and Twilight Singers..

KiD

bcretty

« Reply #192 on: 25 Dec 2006, 04:42 pm »
I saw Neuvelle Vague with the Submarines at the World Cafe in Philly. Just before that is saw M.Ward at the TLA, also in Philly.

Enjoy.

mjosef

« Reply #193 on: 15 Jan 2007, 07:52 am »
Steve Coleman & Five Elements...live at The Stone, NYC.
Last time I caught his performance was mid 90's @ the Knitting Factory. Same band/new members, and the playing was top notch. Sound was good, a little too hot at times, but good overall.
I hope to catch them again this month...hey, its cheap only $10. No services though, just music.

Brad

« Reply #194 on: 29 Jan 2007, 07:41 pm »
busy coupla weeks for live music

Feb 3     Chris Tomlin
Feb 11   Rik Emmett   at a 125 seat club in Houston
Feb 14   Willie Nelson at the 1894 Galveston Opera House
Feb 25   Madeline Peyroux   Lucked out ordering tix the first day on sale   FRONT ROW in a 3000 seat hall.

ctviggen

« Reply #195 on: 29 Jan 2007, 08:36 pm »
How was Madeline?

Brad

« Reply #196 on: 29 Jan 2007, 09:06 pm »
How was Madeline?

I'll tell ya in a few weeks  :D

Levi

« Reply #197 on: 30 Jan 2007, 02:18 am »
BLUE MAN GROUP      ...they were awesome!! 

Porter

« Reply #198 on: 30 Jan 2007, 10:13 pm »
Saw Gomez last week at Starr Hill in Charlottesville, VA.

Great show, excellent band.

sts9fan

« Reply #199 on: 10 Feb 2007, 04:26 pm »
moe.

02/09/07 Orpheum Theatre, Boston, MA
Set I: Recreational Chemistry1> Blue Jeans Pizza, It, She Sends Me, Another One Gone2, Not Coming Down> Wormwood> Wind it up
Set II: Rise> Recreational Chemistry> Seat Of My Pants, Biblical, Timmy Tucker> Tailspin
Encore: Sensory Deprivation Bank> Recreational Chemistry, Mexico3

1 w/ Rob's son Zach on keytar and "vocal" jam
2 w/ Rob on upright bass, Al on acoustic
3 2nd encore