« on: 18 Oct 2011, 09:39 pm »
We had a GREAT RMAF this year.

The "WE" this year was:

GR Research
Dodd Audio
dB Audio Labs
Mach2 Music
PI audio group

The room sounded quite good.  Danny Richie set up his gray absorbent material and I went in and added the diffusers: Mr. T's on the sides and just slightly behind the speakers.  Centered between the speakers were ABB2 pairs with 2x2 Mr. T's on top.  Of course, being the dumbass that I am, I didn't take a single picture during the show.  Nothing to see here.... DUH!!!.... oh, well... sigh...  :duh:......

On to the boys:

The Super V's were stellar this year.  Danny has seriously refined the design. The immediacy of the presentation of music by the Super V is simply stunning.  The highs were crystal clear and very, very sweet.  The bass from the servo controlled subs was powerful and was assisted by a pair of servo subs at the rear of the room in a swarm configuration.  The mids were to die for and the attack of the system was pretty amazing.

Gary Dodd was there, thank God, with his Dodd Buffer driving his EL84 stereo amp on Friday and Saturday and his Preamp was driving Eric Hider's Master Reference amplifier on Sunday.  Gary's gear always sounds great.  Tube sound from a 12V AGM battery! Punchy and tight sound, all from a 15/WPC stereo amp.  Good Dodd!!! what a sound.

Eric Hider from dB Audio Labs was there and raised the bar with his new 32/192 Hi-Rez Tranquility DAC.  I don't quite know what to say about this DAC.  Everyone on AC knows that I am a Tranquility SE guy.  This thing is everything the SE is and more - much, much more.  This new hi-rez DAC is battery powered and will be available at a very good price point in the near future.  His development team has done a helluva job on this badboy.  He also had a new Split Power USB cable that was used to do the data transfer.  It was the best match for this system - more air, soundstage and texture than other cables that were tried.     

All of the bits were supplied by the battery powered Mach2 Music Server reading a 1TB Oyen MiniPro, also on battery power.  The work that Darrell and Kevin do to the Mac Mini has defined that platform as the one to top.  The software mods that they do makes soundstage magic, especially when coupled with a DAC like the Tranquility Hi-Rez.

It was my pleasure to scrub power for this room with my UberBUSS and BatteryBUSS.

Ya'll, pile on.  If you were there and have anything to add, please do so.  Especially if you have pictures.  I am such a moron........... :sad:   Even morons have fun.  This last weekend was WAAAAYYYYYY FUN!!!!!!! :thumb:

That is my story and I am stickin' to it.  I may add to it, too.

Later,

Dave

highfilter

Re: RMAF 2011 - What a great time!!!
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2011, 10:08 pm »
Haha, sounds like you had a blast. And that's probably an understatement.

Very excited to hear there's a new high resolution dB beast DAC coming down the pipe as well.

Glad you had a good time.  :D

Also, here's some good coverage of the room with some pictures, by John Darko: http://www.digitalaudionews.net.au/2011/10/18/rmaf-2011-day-2-db-audio-labs/

TrungT

« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2011, 10:15 pm »
Dave
Missed you guys.
Sound like you had a blast.  :thumb:
Thanks SoCalWJS pictures

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2011, 11:01 pm »
And another thing:  we could not have had a room without the help of Rich, Chris and Scott.  You guys totally rocked.

EDIT***  I am completely mortified that I didn't mention Ruben, too.  He is so quiet that I guess I just missed mentioning him.  Without his help on many many levels we would have been sucking wind.

Ruben, my friend: I am so sorry that I didn't mention you in the lines above.  I am a baaaaad man  :oops:

"How long are we going to have to hold this!??!"   :lol:

Dave
« Last Edit: 21 Oct 2011, 09:26 pm by dBe »

ltr317

« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2011, 06:01 am »
And another thing:  we could not have had a room without the help of Rich, Chris and Scott.  You guys totally rocked.

"How long are we going to have to hold this!??!"   :lol:

Dave

Hi Dave,

Very nice sounding room.  It was a pleasure to meet you.

Cheers,
Paul Mah
for Stereotimes

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2011, 03:22 pm »
Hi Dave,

Very nice sounding room.  It was a pleasure to meet you.

Cheers,
Paul Mah
for Stereotimes
Paul, thank you and likewise.  I think the best part of RMAF is all of the great people that we meet  :D

I read The Stereo Times and enjoy it very much - Good work.

Dave

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2011, 05:46 pm »
Dave,
Glad to help.  My arms still feel longer after the installation on Friday evening.  :o

Had a blast listening to the setup that you guy's did!  It was better than last year!

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #7 on: 20 Oct 2011, 05:55 pm »
Dave,
Glad to help.  My arms still feel longer after the installation on Friday evening.  :o

Had a blast listening to the setup that you guy's did!  It was better than last year!
Yeah, I think the "Burp and Fart Construction" crew did a helluva job getting the hole closed up.  Just remember when I say "It'll only take 15-20 minutes" that I can't tell time.

BTW, did I mention that I'm Burp?   :lol:

Dave

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #8 on: 20 Oct 2011, 06:05 pm »

Yeah, I think the "Burp and Fart Construction" crew did a helluva job getting the hole closed up.  Just remember when I say "It'll only take 15-20 minutes" that I can't tell time.

BTW, did I mention that I'm Burp?   :lol:

Dave
Well, I didn't think that anyone had noticed.  I guess that was the refried beans at dinner. :oops:

Scott

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 20 Oct 2011, 06:06 pm »
 :roll:

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #10 on: 20 Oct 2011, 06:41 pm »
Paul, thank you and likewise.  I think the best part of RMAF is all of the great people that we meet  :D

I read The Stereo Times and enjoy it very much - Good work.

Dave

Hey Dave,
A little inside info on Paul Mah... he also our "Recording Secretary" for our Audio Syndrome audiophile club based in NYC & LI... We're having our monthly meeting Friday Night and our featured product tonight will be the one & only PI Audio Group Uber Buss. The Uber will be brought over by Charles Rollo (rollo), President of Audio Syndrome & proprietor of Swap Meet Audio...

Figured I'd share a bit...

Cheers,
Pete
(Executive Board Member of The Audio Syndrome (TAS))

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #11 on: 20 Oct 2011, 06:45 pm »
 Dave glad to hear you had a great time. Next year I will join the fun God willing. You forget to mention that the system was powered by an Uberbuss.
  Kudos to all the associated gear but but that clean power helped quite a bit as it has done in the many systems we demonstrated the Uberbuss with.
  Yes the bear takes some break in time [ 200 hrs] but well worth the wait.

charles
SMA

StereoNut

« Reply #12 on: 20 Oct 2011, 06:57 pm »
Hey Dave, A little inside info on Paul Mah... he also our "Recording Secretary" for our Audio Syndrome audiophile club based in NYC & LI... We're having our monthly meeting tonight and our featured product tonight will be the one & only PI Audio Group Uber Buss. The Uber will be brought over by Charles Rollo (rollo), President of Audio Syndrome & proprietor of Swap Meet Audio...

Cheers,
Pete

Pete - I share your enthusiasm in being a fellow Syndrome member (and Executive Board Member) but the meeting is TOMORROW night!  :lol:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #13 on: 20 Oct 2011, 07:10 pm »
Hey Dave,
A little inside info on Paul Mah... he also our "Recording Secretary" for our Audio Syndrome audiophile club based in NYC & LI... We're having our monthly meeting tonight and our featured product tonight will be the one & only PI Audio Group Uber Buss. The Uber will be brought over by Charles Rollo (rollo), President of Audio Syndrome & proprietor of Swap Meet Audio...

Cheers,
Pete
Cool!  I told Paul how much I appreciate all of you right-coasters and how I wish we all could get together.  Can you imagine just how much fun could be had???  Boggles me wee little mind.

You guys are way too much fun over there   8)

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #14 on: 20 Oct 2011, 07:14 pm »
Dave glad to hear you had a great time. Next year I will join the fun God willing. You forget to mention that the system was powered by an Uberbuss.
  Kudos to all the associated gear but but that clean power helped quite a bit as it has done in the many systems we demonstrated the Uberbuss with.
  Yes the bear takes some break in time [ 200 hrs] but well worth the wait.

charles
SMA
OK, Charles: here is the deal - we have to make a pact to stay healthy so we can hang out and geek out, eh?  I'm in.  :thumb:  Hope the eyes are better.  8)

Have a good time at the get together and bon chance.

Dave

SoCalWJS

« Reply #15 on: 2 Nov 2011, 08:41 pm »
Awwwright Dave, when's the website going to be back up??? Want to find out more about the room treatments you used as I'm getting closer to commiting to purchases. Need to find out all I can, especially shipping costs. :dunno:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #16 on: 3 Nov 2011, 02:14 am »
Awwwright Dave, when's the website going to be back up??? Want to find out more about the room treatments you used as I'm getting closer to commiting to purchases. Need to find out all I can, especially shipping costs. :dunno:
I'm working on how to build a website for the unique things that I (we counting Greg, aka Igor) do that makes sense.  Since most of what is made is custom, it is hard to have a site with hard numbers.  You can alwya PM me or Greg (ADD) here for quotes on diffusers.

I know, it is a pain in the butt.   :roll:

Hard to pidgeon hole what we do, you see.......

Dave

SoCalWJS

« Reply #17 on: 16 Nov 2011, 11:53 pm »
From Sunday at the show....

Looks like my lens was getting dirty. :duh:

Positioning of diffuser.

Back of room.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #18 on: 17 Nov 2011, 12:45 am »
From Sunday at the show....

Looks like my lens was getting dirty. :duh:

Positioning of diffuser.

Back of room.

Greg got some pictures to me yesterday and I am trying to complie what we have into something that makes sense in my spare time.   :o

I am in process of reconfiguring the ABB1 diffusers into a package the will cut more cleanly.  Bare in mind that we are not millionaires that can go out and get this done in a heartbeat.  It IS coming as quickly as we can make a living and get things done.

I'll put up some images ASAP along with some pricing.

Dave
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2011, 02:13 pm by dBe »

OzarkTom

« Reply #19 on: 22 Nov 2011, 05:00 am »
Dave, the macsandwich you sold me at the show made a big improvement in my system. Thanks for selling that to me.

Tom