Describing What The UberBuss Does For My System

ZLS

Describing What The UberBuss Does For My System
« on: 19 May 2011, 11:13 pm »
I keep searching for the word that best describes what the UberBuss does for my system,

and the word I have come up with is confidence.  The UberBuss allows my system to communicate

with confidence.  My system's voice is more inspired, and as a result it communicates with

me in a much more satisfying way. 

That is all I ask of any component that I insert into my system, and the UberBuss from the start

leads the way. 

Big Red Machine

Re: Describing What The UberBuss Does For My System
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2011, 11:28 pm »
Please describe how it is hooked into your system.  What feeds what.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2011, 12:00 am »

+1

ZLS

« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2011, 01:48 am »

The UB is plugged into the wall using a PI Power Cord.  I have a Shuntaya )sic) outlet that I had put in. 
I have a Virtue Sensation being used a a preamp with a Siemens NOS Tube. 
Right now I am using the Virtue Ice Blocks and alternate that with a highly modified Edge SS Amp. 
The front end consists of a Mach2 Mac system with a PI Mac Sandwich. 
I am using a Neko DAC, and am using Triode Power Cords. 
The Speakers are Omega Sticks (a single 4 1/2" Hemp Driver per side. 
    I would describe my system as being both articulate and emotionally involving. 
    When I inserted the UberBuss into my system (I previously had the MajikBuss, my system spoke to me in a way that allowed me to further understand and appreciate the Music that I love. 
    I have no idea of the how or why; I just appreciate the what the UberBuss Does. 

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2011, 05:04 am »
I keep searching for the word that best describes what the UberBuss does for my system,

and the word I have come up with is confidence.  The UberBuss allows my system to communicate

with confidence.  My system's voice is more inspired, and as a result it communicates with

That is all I ask of any component that I insert into my system, and the UberBuss from the start

leads the way.
Zack, your description says much with few words.  Thank you.  It is for people like you that I do what I do.

Dave

tasar

« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2011, 08:46 pm »
Hi Dave......I PM'd you several days ago

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2011, 01:17 am »
Hi Dave......I PM'd you several days ago

Dave
I shot you an email, Dave...

Dave, again

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #7 on: 9 Mar 2012, 02:15 am »

leads the way.

I'd like to add my thoughts & continue this discussion...
I was on a  long quest (> 10 years) to get the finest sounding gear for my super sensitive 104 dB horn speakers. I had several types & brands of amplifiers, likewise with pre-amps & sources. In between that, I experimented with several power conditioners that promised the "best sound". Every type of power conditioner I tried robbed my system of dynamics; it was easy to hear... less "jump factor" on each conditioner tried!

Along came a Rev.B buss that I tried... wow! It did "no harm", was quiet & no loss of dynamics... actually, my sound system improved to my enjoyment.

This past August, my friend Dave Elledge shipped me one of his "super-duper" UberBuss's with the full Furutech upgrades. With my flea power gear (2A3 SET monoblocks, dual mono tube regulated preamp power supplies & two digital sources) plugged into it, it has lifted my system to higher level, once again, "without any harm".

Dynamics are better with it, every audiophile attribute improved to my ears. Quiet as can be...dead silence through 104 dB efficient horns - not an easy thing to do considering my system is all tube-based! Also, possibly through the Power Factor Correction circuitry, there is a gain in power output as noticed through my preamp volume controls...

Take the UberBuss out of my system and everything becomes less enjoyable...much less...

Thank you Dave for a phenomenal product at a great price!  :thumb:

(Sorry it took so long to write my impressions but it did take awhile for the UberBuss to "break-in / burn-in", probably since my system power requirements are very low compared to other UberBuss users... Dave thought it would take 250 hours; I'd probably guesstimate 500 hours on my system)

Cheers,
Pete

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2012, 05:12 pm »
I'd like to add my thoughts & continue this discussion...
I was on a  long quest (> 10 years) to get the finest sounding gear for my super sensitive 104 dB horn speakers. I had several types & brands of amplifiers, likewise with pre-amps & sources. In between that, I experimented with several power conditioners that promised the "best sound". Every type of power conditioner I tried robbed my system of dynamics; it was easy to hear... less "jump factor" on each conditioner tried!

Along came a Rev.B buss that I tried... wow! It did "no harm", was quiet & no loss of dynamics... actually, my sound system improved to my enjoyment.

This past August, my friend Dave Elledge shipped me one of his "super-duper" UberBuss's with the full Furutech upgrades. With my flea power gear (2A3 SET monoblocks, dual mono tube regulated preamp power supplies & two digital sources) plugged into it, it has lifted my system to higher level, once again, "without any harm".

Dynamics are better with it, every audiophile attribute improved to my ears. Quiet as can be...dead silence through 104 dB efficient horns - not an easy thing to do considering my system is all tube-based! Also, possibly through the Power Factor Correction circuitry, there is a gain in power output as noticed through my preamp volume controls...

Take the UberBuss out of my system and everything becomes less enjoyable...much less...

Thank you Dave for a phenomenal product at a great price!  :thumb:

(Sorry it took so long to write my impressions but it did take awhile for the UberBuss to "break-in / burn-in", probably since my system power requirements are very low compared to other UberBuss users... Dave thought it would take 250 hours; I'd probably guesstimate 500 hours on my system)

Cheers,
Pete
Thanks, Pete.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the time required for full break-in.  Flea power amps like you and I love are just not drawing a lot of current even in class A.  Even so, some conditioners just don't do the instantaneous current thing very well.  That's what the BUSSes are all about.

Cool.....

Dave

Lissnr

« Reply #9 on: 8 Apr 2012, 04:45 pm »
I too am an Uber fan and I too started with a Rev B that quickly antiquated my former line conditioners. I've been through Power wedges, Furmans and MIT conditioners over almost thirty years of system developments and each one seemed to 'change" and often "help" in certain parameters of my [then] systems but as my listening became more keen...my wallet became more visited...and my system became much more resolving and sophisticated, the shortcomings of each of the aforementioned units became more obvious and their limitations more evident.
I have been very fortunate that, after waiting most of my adult lifetime, I have finally been able to construct a dedicated listening room which includes countless acoustic treatments (WAF = NOT a factor) as well as several dedicated lines and a "whole house" line conditioner/stabilizer capable of maintaining clean and consistent voltage to the room. Who needs conditioners anymore??? Not that simple. Regardless of what you would think, the sophistication of today's systems and the intricacies of component interaction(s)...(especially with the inclusion of digital into the lines...)  can STILL benefit from enhanced power isolation /"massage"...
Enter the Pi Audio group. I was fortunate to borrow a Rev B. and noticed immediately that (a bit to my chagrin because I had first hoped that after all the above power supply upgrades I wouldn't notice any improvements in line conditioning anymore...) low and behold, it was indeed "better".
Really?? Yes... better. How so? How could it be? Don't know...doesn't make a lot of sense considering...
But yes: Better.
In what ways?   Well, I like how both the previous posts mentioned "confidence" and a certain "purity factor"...I agree with both of these...I would add the words "Bottomless well of [power] resource" as an apt descriptor...it just seems like there is virtually no strain to transients... no hesitation to provide 'jump factor' and simply an endless 'open-ness' that belies verbal description until you actually hear it in your own system...
Quite uncanny. All of this was begun with the Rev B. but really came to full expression when I bought the Uber. It is "hands down" the best conditioner I have ever experienced and has brought my system to a level which is so beyond what 99.99999% of those outside of the audiophile community could ever believe (nor would have I BEING shoulder deep IN the audiophile community..)... that I am simply both amazed and grateful, in the same sentence. All I can say is "Thanks Dave, keep up the great work...you hit a homer with this one".

Big Red Machine

« Reply #10 on: 8 Apr 2012, 05:25 pm »
Well I'll have one soon to give a go.  Not sure how I will try it out first since I already have an Audience Adept unit for all the gear.  I was thinking maybe the amps first through the Uber via the wall, then the amps through the Uber via the Adept, then feeding the Adept, then replacing the Adept.  That's a lot of on and off and re-wiring! :lol:

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #11 on: 8 Apr 2012, 07:47 pm »
Well I'll have one soon to give a go.  Not sure how I will try it out first since I already have an Audience Adept unit for all the gear.  I was thinking maybe the amps first through the Uber via the wall, then the amps through the Uber via the Adept, then feeding the Adept, then replacing the Adept.  That's a lot of on and off and re-wiring! :lol:

You beat me to it! But I'll have one of Dave's gems in the future...

Best,
Anand.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #12 on: 22 Apr 2012, 02:21 pm »

Dave really wanted this one to stick this time around!

I have everything running through this unit.  I had the Audience Adept aR12-TS unit here and really liked it.  Twelve outlets - only needed 8.  It was quiet and well mannered and reduced overall hiss very nicely.

Little did I know that the Uber was so much more organic.  It was just as quiet.  Had 8 outlets for me.  But this thing really added so much more depth and flesh to the sound.  The Adept is well known and beaucoup bucks (to the tune of $9k - yeah, lists for more than my speakers) and they are really fine people there who make a great performing product.  The Uber did everything the Adept did noise-wise AND then it lifted an-ever-so-light veil from the sound.  Like you had a sheet of silk over each speaker that just held them back from that last 5% you wanted and needed to get out of them.

I took the Adept out one day and replaced it with the Uber and went - wow!  Then I decided not to be too hasty and put the Adept back in a few days later and the sound revereted to clean but slightly lifeless as compared to the Uber.  So I went back to the Uber, again, 8 plugs, power down, yadda yadda.  And the organic texture of the music returned.  It now seems I can get more out of my speakers than I thought possible.

Putting the discrete opamps into the system now after the Uber is just ridiculously good.  I was excited just getting the new speakers and now I'm over the top.

I won't send this one back Dave. :banana piano:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #13 on: 22 Apr 2012, 02:55 pm »
Pete,

About time you gave the Uber its due and realized it is an important part of making a system realize its full potential.    :wink:

Your description is spot on and mirrors my own findings.

It has been a fixture in my system and will remain so.

Just curious, did you try having the Uber feed the Audience?

In my system, while the Uber was very good, it provides the most magic feeding a Furman IT Ref-20i.

George

roscoeiii

« Reply #14 on: 22 Apr 2012, 02:57 pm »
I had the same question as George. My power is so bad that I need protection in addition to conditioning. But maybe an Uber, RevB or the MiniBuss (which hasn't gotten much mention that I've seen) feeding the Running Springs Haley...

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #15 on: 22 Apr 2012, 03:01 pm »
I had the same question as George. My power is so bad that I need protection in addition to conditioning. But maybe an Uber, RevB or the MiniBuss (which hasn't gotten much mention that I've seen) feeding the Running Springs Haley...

The Haley is a good product and Dan at RSA is a great guy; but I think the Uber is a better overall product.

George

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #16 on: 22 Apr 2012, 03:08 pm »

Dave really wanted this one to stick this time around!

I have everything running through this unit.  I had the Audience Adept aR12-TS unit here and really liked it.  Twelve outlets - only needed 8.  It was quiet and well mannered and reduced overall hiss very nicely.

Little did I know that the Uber was so much more organic.  It was just as quiet.  Had 8 outlets for me.  But this thing really added so much more depth and flesh to the sound.  The Adept is well known and beaucoup bucks (to the tune of $9k - yeah, lists for more than my speakers) and they are really fine people there who make a great performing product.  The Uber did everything the Adept did noise-wise AND then it lifted an-ever-so-light veil from the sound.  Like you had a sheet of silk over each speaker that just held them back from that last 5% you wanted and needed to get out of them.

I took the Adept out one day and replaced it with the Uber and went - wow!  Then I decided not to be too hasty and put the Adept back in a few days later and the sound revereted to clean but slightly lifeless as compared to the Uber.  So I went back to the Uber, again, 8 plugs, power down, yadda yadda.  And the organic texture of the music returned.  It now seems I can get more out of my speakers than I thought possible.

Putting the discrete opamps into the system now after the Uber is just ridiculously good.  I was excited just getting the new speakers and now I'm over the top.

I won't send this one back Dave. :banana piano:
It is life's subtle ironies that give one pause, so I will...........................

Pete was one of my first customers for a Majik when I first rolled them out a few years ago.  Not only that, but he helped me jump some of the PayPal hoops learning their system.  Not only that, he was/is one of the people in the 0.5% that have ever returned one of my products to me.  Kinda ticked me off: here was a guy that I took an immediate liking to, that was very helpful to me and I didn't have a product for him.  Bummed me out because Pete is a heck of a nice person that I truly enjoy talking to at RMAF and online.

I've kept Pete in the loop somewhat over the last year or so and I kept telling him I thought he should revisit the BUSS-Line.  That was cool because he kept threatening to do so. 8)  I am happy and proud to say that I can check you off of my list of "I wonders?".  I couldn't be happier for both of us.  I work very hard at putting performance inside those ugly black boxes that I build.

Pete, I am pleased that you FINALLY got to hear what a BUSS does and just as importantly, what it doesn't do.  I knew that you would love the S/N, too.

Enjoy,

<><

Dave

roscoeiii

« Reply #17 on: 22 Apr 2012, 03:15 pm »
The Haley is a good product and Dan at RSA is a great guy; but I think the Uber is a better overall product.

George

Yeah George, I wouldn't be surprised to find that the Uber is a better overall product. But my power here is junk  and I couldn't sleep at night with a power conditioner that doesn't also offer surge protection, etc. That's why I would want to double up a Buss with something else.

jriggy

« Reply #18 on: 22 Apr 2012, 04:10 pm »
  I work very hard at putting performance inside those ugly black boxes that I build.

<><

Dave

Not ugly Dave, more like 'unassuming.'  Blending in to a corner or next to a rack, without calling attention to itself is fine and dandy!

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #19 on: 22 Apr 2012, 06:10 pm »
Not ugly Dave, more like 'unassuming.'  Blending in to a corner or next to a rack, without calling attention to itself is fine and dandy!
  Jason, I normally sit in semi-darkened room anyway.  That way I don't scare the grandchildren.   :o

Dave