Cryo'd Outlet - break-in and tweaking

mamba315

Cryo'd Outlet - break-in and tweaking
« on: 20 Apr 2011, 08:44 am »
Just put one of Daves cryo'd P&S outlets into my system.  If you still have the standard cheapo outlets, you owe it to yourself to give these things a try.  At $10 a piece, not a big stretch for most people.  Biggest hurdle was learning how to install one, and not kill myself in the process.  Well I'm still here and my stereo sounds better than ever!

System
Mac Mini -- Tranquility SE DAC -- Virtue Sensation M901 on Dodd batteries -- Gallo Stradas

Initial impressions are of lower noise and improved micro resolution.  Background sounds that are usually smeared or lost are popping through with newfound spunk, body, and definition.  Lots of fun so far.

Couple questions:

* Do people experience "break in" with these?  I did see one opinion that it can take a month for full effects.  True/False?

* Also Dave, you mentioned that you disassemble the outlets and polish the contacts for that last little bit.  You have any pictures of this?

P.S. Dave's customer service has been flawless so far.  I think he sent me the outlets before he'd even gotten my check?!  5 stars all the way.  :thumb:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Cryo'd Outlet - break-in and tweaking
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2011, 02:20 pm »
I haven't noticed a break-in effect. Where I have used them, the improvement was immediate and significant.  Bass, imaging, and soundstage all changed for the better.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2011, 03:15 pm »
I haven't noticed a break-in effect.

+1

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2011, 03:48 pm »
Just put one of Daves cryo'd P&S outlets into my system.  If you still have the standard cheapo outlets, you owe it to yourself to give these things a try.  At $10 a piece, not a big stretch for most people.  Biggest hurdle was learning how to install one, and not kill myself in the process.  Well I'm still here and my stereo sounds better than ever!

System
Mac Mini -- Tranquility SE DAC -- Virtue Sensation M901 on Dodd batteries -- Gallo Stradas

Initial impressions are of lower noise and improved micro resolution.  Background sounds that are usually smeared or lost are popping through with newfound spunk, body, and definition.  Lots of fun so far.

Couple questions:

* Do people experience "break in" with these?  I did see one opinion that it can take a month for full effects.  True/False?

* Also Dave, you mentioned that you disassemble the outlets and polish the contacts for that last little bit.  You have any pictures of this?

P.S. Dave's customer service has been flawless so far.  I think he sent me the outlets before he'd even gotten my check?!  5 stars all the way.  :thumb:
Matt, thanks for the post.  Let me tell you my experiences.  No, there isn't really a break-in process with them.  This is due to the fact that they are cryoed and have very little in the form of permeable dielectric in their construction.  The body of these puppies has an incredibly low effective dielectric constant (close to glass) and just don't saturate the way PVC, PE,PP or TFE does.  Keep them sounding good by occasionally (every few months) giving the shortest blast possible of Caig DeOxit to keep them primo.
 (mostly)
I am a huge fan of polishing electrical contacts.  Not only does this create a more regular contact surface, it provides less surface area for oxidation to form.  Here is a picture of a polished Wattgate Edison plug that comes on my power cables:

The oxide on copper and brass used as electrical conductors is a combination of cuprous (red) and cupric (black) oxides which varies (mostly) according to the amount of humidity where you live.  Here in the dry southwest it is primarily cupric oxide which has heat as a major contributor of formation.  Copper oxides are semiconductors (read that as crappy) and can cause dangerous heating at the contact points.  Whenever you read about "faulty wiring" causing a house fire this is usually caused by loose connections on constantly used wiring that has not been regularly cleaned and or tightened.  Do not become a statistic.  Besides, dirty wire on audio gear sounds bad because of noise and RF created by micro-arcing at the connection.  Electrical contacts MUST be kept tight to form a gas tight seal between the mating surfaces or oxides  not doing this because "people are stupid and an improper reassembly could be dangerous or fatal!"  :roll:  Sheesh, the stoopid police are everywhere, I guess.  In preparation,to properly polish the surfaces of a receptacle the way I do it you will need the following items: 600-200 grit sandpaper; electrical spray contact cleaner; popsicle sticks or hard, stiff cardboard 1/16" thick; DeOxit or ProGold; 2 gallons of patience and ordinary hand tools.  I'll try to shoot all of the pics tonight.

Here is a general dislcaimer (not pointed at you, Matt - you are still breating  :D  )  With all things electrical, PLEASE do not undertake anything involved with power delivery, other plan plugging in a piece of gear, if you have ANY doubts as to your ability to do so.  Even if you have worked around electrical power all of your life: PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!  I can't sell anything to a dead customer  8)

Dave

mjosef

« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2011, 03:09 am »
Here is what I experienced when I replaced a 20A hubbell Which I was sold as  being cryoed(at an audio flea market), with a higher quality Hubbell which I know was Cryoed...
After replacement, I thought my sound was a little better, but couldn't swear by it...then about 3 weeks later as I was listening to music and surfing the net, suddenly my system just 'burst' forth into my consciousness, and I ran into the other room and was amazed at just how beautiful the radiant sound from my system was flowing over my being.
So I concluded that it may take about 3 weeks to blossom, or if its an early arrival, 2 weeks.  :thumb:

YMWV

jimdgoulding

« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2011, 03:19 am »
When I was in military school- lucky me- we used to polish our brass with a cloth made for that.  That work, ya think, for cleaning and polishing prongs?  Suggestions?  Ok, David, how do I pay you for a cryoed outlet?  Thanks