Mach2 Music, MBS and PI audio group have teamed up for a new product...

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
This new development will be shown at AXPONA.  We are not telling anyone what it is, but it will cause quite a stir, we are sure.  Mach2 will be using preproduction prototypes in 4 rooms at the show.  I guarantee it will be worth your while to give it a listen.    :thumb:

One of the rooms is the Carnegie Acoustics room with GR Research and Mach2.

Have fun, ya'll.  Wish I was going to be there  :cry:

Dave

mamba315

So now that the show has started, what is the product?  I've seen no mentions of it anywhere.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
So now that the show has started, what is the product?  I've seen no mentions of it anywhere.
The Mach2 MacMinis' being used at the show are all running on 12VDC provided by my new BatteryBUSS.  The BatteryBUSS is 12VDC input (production versions will have a PowerCon for the input connector) with 2 different voltage outputs.  12VDC will be available with 2 different output levels: one high current and two low current outputs (HDD or whatever).  There will be two 5VDC @1.5A outputs for powering HDD, too.

The BatteryBUSS has an extremely low output impedance - vastly different from the ~ 1ohm battery impedance.  It has a current dump capablility of ~60A instantaneously with an output impedance measured in milliohms.  The result is an incredibiy dynamic, dead silent sound presentation with a HUGE soundstage.  Of the PS configurations that we tried this is by far the best and not by a small amount.

More info (availability and pricing ) will be presented after the show.

It is an unbelieveable advance in digital audio reproduction... even if I do say so myself.  We done good  :D

Dave

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
What about a picture for now?

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?

It is an unbelieveable advance in digital audio reproduction... even if I do say so myself.  We done good  :D

Dave

Sweet! Congrats to all of you, Dave!  :thumb:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
What about a picture for now?
Jason, they are 3.5" x 3.5" x 10" ugly black boxes with wires coming out of both ends right now.  I am sourcing enclosures and I/O's.  Then they will be better looking black boxes.  Perhaps someone at the show will take some pictures and post them - Rich: are you listening?

The production versions will use standard and mini-XLR outputs with the PowerCon power inlet with an Off-On switch.

Dave

Audioclyde

I got the chance to attend Axpona yesterday afternoon; my first audio show, so of course overwhelmed and didn't get to see nearly everything. My first stop was the Carnegie Acoutics room, with Danny hosting, and a Mach2 Mac mini powered by Dave's née gizmo feeding a Tranquility SE DAC. Sound was magnificent some of the best at the show for me, and the noise floor was mucho lower than any other room I sat in!  The mad scientist has another winner :icon_lol:,

Randy

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
A few questions, if you don't mind. Are you using sealed lead acid, Lithium-ion polymer, or some other chemistry? Is this designed to be left plugged into the wall at all times? MSRP?

morganc

Hi Dave,
    Hold production on my UberBuss!  This sounds even better......we can talk when you get a chance, but no rush at all as I know you're very busy!
Have fun in Hotlanta....
Cheers,
Morgan

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
A few questions, if you don't mind. Are you using sealed lead acid, Lithium-ion polymer, or some other chemistry? Is this designed to be left plugged into the wall at all times? MSRP?
We are using and recommend AGM (activated glass mat) sealed lead acids as they are the only battery that is affordable as well as safe in the house in large AH sizes.  The most common size is 26AH.  I have a 100AH that I use with my Dodd gear.  Chargers that we recommendare the Ctek smart chargers.  The bottom line is that you can use any battery combo that you wish.  We do not and will not deal in battery sales or chargers.  Too many other people sell them at great prices and I have no desire to be lugging around batteries getting them prepared for shipment.

We are dealing in what happens AFTER the battery.  I have designed and built the BatteryBUSS and the guys at Mach2 are doing the conversion on the Mac Mini (2010 ONLY).  The earlier Macs do not lend themselves to battery conversion because they require 18.5V to make them happy.  I will supply the BatteryBUSS and the cable to the battery with options for the outputs with different size DC power plugs for differing applications.

We do not have a firm selling price as of yet as I stated in my earlier post. It is TBD when all of the quotes that we have out get back to us.

Be advised: this is a very serious conversion for brave souls.  You ain't lived until you have seen a high capacity battery in a short circuit!  :o That is also one of the reasons that we are not supplying the batteries.  The end user gets to share that potential liability with his dog or spouse.  :lol:

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Hi Dave,
    Hold production on my UberBuss!  This sounds even better......we can talk when you get a chance, but no rush at all as I know you're very busy!
Have fun in Hotlanta....
Cheers,
Morgan
You got it, Morgan.

No problem.  I got an order for another one like the one that I was working on for you, so it is not an issue.

Later, Dude.

Dave

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Dave,
Just spotted about the BatteryBUSS picture and will get one tomorrow.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Dave,
Just spotted about the BatteryBUSS picture and will get one tomorrow.
Awesome, Rich.  I appreciate it.  It'll give people a kinda sorta picture of what is going on.

Most of the wiring on the prototypes is done with umbilicles not connector sets.  I seldom take pictures of prototypes except for my own use.  It can be very misleading to a potential customer to see butt ugly.  A bit of a buzzkill.

Dave

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Awesome, Rich.  I appreciate it.  It'll give people a kinda sorta picture of what is going on.

Most of the wiring on the prototypes is done with umbilicles not connector sets.  I seldom take pictures of prototypes except for my own use.  It can be very misleading to a potential customer to see butt ugly.  A bit of a buzzkill.

Dave

I would simply close my eyes and listen. That'll get my buzz back ASAP!  :lol:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC

I would simply close my eyes and listen. That'll get my buzz back ASAP!  :lol:
Robin, that is one of the reasons I like dark rooms  :thumb:

morganc

You got it, Morgan.

No problem.  I got an order for another one like the one that I was working on for you, so it is not an issue.

Later, Dude.

Dave

Thanks Dave......let me know when you are free to chat next week.
Be well,
Morgan

HAL

• Industry Contributor
With Danny's help here are two pictures of the BatteryBUSS prototype at Axpona 2011.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
OK.  So the battery isn't in the box...the box is the "Buss" part.  Got it.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
OK.  So the battery isn't in the box...the box is the "Buss" part.  Got it.
Sorry, man.  I thought that i made myself clear about the BatteryBUSS being a separate bit of gear from the battery.  My bad.

Another thing to note is that this basic unit can be used for ANY 12V piece of battery powered gear to increase headroom and dynamics in the target component.  Dodd battery power owners take note:  the BatteryBUSS will provide increased dynamic contrast, soundstage and flesh out the harmonic texture just a bit more.  The output impedance of the battery is a wee bit too high to deal with instantaneous current demands.  With the tube gear it is not as big of a difference as it is with SS gear, but it is there to be sure.

I guess that you didn't make it to AXPONA, either, huh?

Thanks for the pictures, Rich.  You are a good man.

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Thanks Dave......let me know when you are free to chat next week.
Be well,
Morgan
Morgan, I'll hit you with an email a bit later.

Thanks,

Dave