Ready to plug in my Majik Buss

Alexdad54

Ready to plug in my Majik Buss
« on: 15 Oct 2010, 01:55 pm »
Thanks to those on AC who provided key advice I'm now ready to get on the Majik Buss. I do have a couple of questions though that I hope can be answered here. I was planning to plug my Apollo CDP. my Havana DAC and my Oppo 983 DVD player into the Buss but keep my Butler 2250 amp plugged straight into the wall outlet.
Can I plug it straight into the Majik as well or is that too much of a load?
Being a noob at this I want to make sure I'm not making any potentially damaging errors. I have  VH Audio Flavour 4 to use as a power cable for the Buss (with a MAC HC oas an alternative).
All advice greatly appreciated!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Ready to plug in my Majik Buss
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2010, 02:11 pm »
Dave (dbe) says that his products are non current limiting.  As for the amp, you'll have to decide how you choose to plug it in.  I suggest trying it both ways.  I think you'll find it better with ALL equipment going through the Majik.

Have fun and let us know what you think. :thumb:

highfilter

« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2010, 04:26 pm »
Try plugging in your amp into the Buss and without. Whether one sounds better than the other depends on the design of the amp (especially the power supply) but it will not damage anything if you plug it through the Buss.

I have a DAC Cherry Jr. amplifier and it definitely sounds better going through the Buss. Much more natural sounding, dynamic and the soundstage is huge.

I also found that the power cable you use to power the Buss greatly affects the sound, so it's a good place to experiment in the future.

Happy listening.  :)

Alexdad54

« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2010, 05:00 pm »
Thanks highfilter and JT. Here's a (slightly edited) blurb from the Butler website, does that tell you anything about the type of amp it is?
"No output transformer. Without the phase shift and induction generation caused by hundreds of turns of wire and massive core iron to overcome, BK Butler's  newly patented current multiplying DC coupled circuitry allows the 6SL7GT output driver tubes to directly operate into the constant ratio-reduced speaker load. This novel design allows the tubes to safely produce authentic power vacuum tube dynamic characteristics hundreds of times greater than their original design capabilities. "

I will try both, as they say here in Philly: "wit and witout"

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2010, 02:28 pm »
Thanks highfilter and JT. Here's a (slightly edited) blurb from the Butler website, does that tell you anything about the type of amp it is?
"No output transformer. Without the phase shift and induction generation caused by hundreds of turns of wire and massive core iron to overcome, BK Butler's  newly patented current multiplying DC coupled circuitry allows the 6SL7GT output driver tubes to directly operate into the constant ratio-reduced speaker load. This novel design allows the tubes to safely produce authentic power vacuum tube dynamic characteristics hundreds of times greater than their original design capabilities. "

I will try both, as they say here in Philly: "wit and witout"
David, thislooks like a very cool power amp.  I'll have to read a little more about it to fully grasp what is going on with it, though.

Go wit, not witout.  You will find that the poweramp will ove the BUSS.  The unit can pass 40A all day long through the filter network and it is limited only by the 15A IEC input on the back.  Just make sure that you have a power cable up to the task.  Use a 14ga power cable so that it doesn't strangle the input current.

ENJOY!   :thumb:

Dave
« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2010, 11:11 pm by dBe »

Alexdad54

« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2010, 05:26 pm »
Dave,
I have a 7g Pangea cable on the Butler amp, is that too much to hook up to the Majik Buss?
Also, any news on your anti-hum product I saw mentioned earlier this year? I have a low hum issue with my preamp (see the thread on The Starting Block) and was just curious.....
cheers,
Dave

srb

« Reply #6 on: 27 Nov 2010, 05:41 pm »
The Butler 2250 will draw 1200 Watts/10 Amps (@120VAC) maximum with a 4 ohm load.  Whether you use a 14 gauge cord (which can handle the 10 Amps) or a 4 gauge cord, the maximum current draw is dictated by the circuit not by the attached power cord.

Steve

Alexdad54

« Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2010, 06:43 pm »
Thanks for the info Steve, every little bit i learn here increases my (very) limited knowledge! :green:

Phil

« Reply #8 on: 27 Nov 2010, 08:33 pm »
My Butler 2250 sounds great through a Majik.  No problems.

Phil

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #9 on: 27 Nov 2010, 11:17 pm »
Dave,
I have a 7g Pangea cable on the Butler amp, is that too much to hook up to the Majik Buss?
Also, any news on your anti-hum product I saw mentioned earlier this year? I have a low hum issue with my preamp (see the thread on The Starting Block) and was just curious.....
cheers,
Dave
Dave, too.

Power cable gauge has nothing to do with current draw of the unit, so you are good to go.  ANYTHING that you can plug into a Majik is safe as far as current handling of the BUSS goes (~40A).  The connectors would fail first.  It's all good.

I have about 4 projects on the back burners right now.  I have been so busy with what I'm making that development time has suffered terribly.  I hear a song: "Send in the clones..."  Oh, right...  that was "Send in the clowns" - probably the same thing :lol:

Dave, also

Alexdad54

« Reply #10 on: 1 Dec 2010, 02:32 pm »
Thanks Dave (the "Majik" one.. :lol: )
Everything is now plugged in and sounding VERY sweet!
Still have a tiny bit of speaker him but it seems that this is due to the nature of the Mapletree Audio preamp power supply (which is plugged into the Majik Buss). From what I can read,nothing will make it go away....

Dave too

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #11 on: 1 Dec 2010, 04:10 pm »
Thanks Dave (the "Majik" one.. :lol: )
Everything is now plugged in and sounding VERY sweet!
Still have a tiny bit of speaker him but it seems that this is due to the nature of the Mapletree Audio preamp power supply (which is plugged into the Majik Buss). From what I can read,nothing will make it go away....

Dave too
I will read up on the power supply and see if I can figure something out.

I'm glad that you like the Majik.

Dave

arthurs

« Reply #12 on: 1 Dec 2010, 04:17 pm »

I have about 4 projects on the back burners right now. 

:wave:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #13 on: 1 Dec 2010, 06:05 pm »
:wave:
Yep, Art: we need to talk!   :green:

Dave

Alexdad54

« Reply #14 on: 1 Dec 2010, 06:59 pm »
I will read up on the power supply and see if I can figure something out.

I'm glad that you like the Majik.

Dave
Many thanks Dave, much obliged...here's the main info I found at DIYAudio (but I'm not sure if it's the reason) : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/159874-improving-maple-tree-audio-ps-2-power-supply.html

I have the (very) low hum coming through the speakers when only the pre and the amp are on, no sources. The amp by itself is dead silent.