MAC Mini News. STOP THE PRESSES!!!

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: MAC Mini News. STOP THE PRESSES!!!
« Reply #80 on: 28 Mar 2011, 02:16 am »
That's why EVERY piece of software that I use during the day is dongle protected.
:thumb:

I bet!

Dave

mchuckp

« Reply #81 on: 28 Mar 2011, 02:19 am »
Thanks everyone for your input so far on how to spend $300.  :thumb:  This money comes from me selling my turntable that I just replaced (which by the way my new table is flippin' sweet). 

So I got a little bit of time to research some more and think about it.  Based on some of the comments, I am tempted to send my mini to the fellers at Mach2 for upgrades and then work with Dave on some of his solutions after that.  My goal is to tweak my mini for all it is worth and Dave has not steered me wrong yet.  So I'm tempted to hold on to my $300 and wait until I can add some more to it but we'll see.  I think getting the software upgrade would be easy for me.  I have basically no data on the computer other than a Fidelia download plus a bit of registration info for Apple.  I was tempted to set up a video server on it as well but honestly, just not sure I see a point in bothering with this as I just don't mess with that stuff enough.  So thinking it will just remain an audio machine.

Thanks again everyone and if you have anything else to add, please do.  Nothing is ever solidified with me until it is done.  :D

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #82 on: 28 Mar 2011, 04:00 am »
Thanks everyone for your input so far on how to spend $300.  :thumb:  This money comes from me selling my turntable that I just replaced (which by the way my new table is flippin' sweet). 

So I got a little bit of time to research some more and think about it.  Based on some of the comments, I am tempted to send my mini to the fellers at Mach2 for upgrades and then work with Dave on some of his solutions after that.  My goal is to tweak my mini for all it is worth and Dave has not steered me wrong yet.  So I'm tempted to hold on to my $300 and wait until I can add some more to it but we'll see.  I think getting the software upgrade would be easy for me.  I have basically no data on the computer other than a Fidelia download plus a bit of registration info for Apple.  I was tempted to set up a video server on it as well but honestly, just not sure I see a point in bothering with this as I just don't mess with that stuff enough.  So thinking it will just remain an audio machine.

Thanks again everyone and if you have anything else to add, please do.  Nothing is ever solidified with me until it is done.  :D
Thanks, I do my best to be a straight shooter.  Self aggrandizement is not a good thing IMO.

I think that doing the Mach2 server is the best thing that you can do.  It will be the lilly that you will gild later.

A year ago when I started thinking about all of this due to my friendship with jtwrace I had no idea where it would all end.  Jason is responsible for me thinking about going to a computer based system.  I was basically happy with my Cary 306 CD player, but was looking for greater convenience.  Hence my foray into server based music.

I started out by buying an M-audio 24/96 soundcard and thought that it didn't sound half bad on my Dell XPS that I use for my business.  I bought all of the pieces and parts to put together a dedicated, stripped barebones XP based Zotac Ion mini ITX format computer strictly for music.  Even with the onboard sound hardware/software it sounded as good, if not better than my Cary.  I sold my Cary, Darrell got interested along with Kevin and George Chronis (cabling for interconnections) and we started down the road of building great sounding computer based systems for ourselves.  One thing led to another and here we are today.

Kevin, Darrell and George along with Eric Hider convinced me that the Mac Mini, in particular the 2010 is vastly superior to a PC.  It is just so.  We've been listening to DACs, computer platforms, music players, blah, blah, blah for the better part of a year and doing our level best to work as a team - a skunkworks, if you will - to develop THE BEST digital playback that we can that is within reach of we, the people, not "them", the zillionaires out there.  I am very proud what a few very dedicated have accomplished in a short period of time.

If you go to AXPONA, look us up.  We will knock your socks off, I promise.

Thanks, jtwrace, you trouble maker, you.   :thumb:

Dave
« Last Edit: 28 Mar 2011, 01:51 pm by dBe »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #83 on: 28 Mar 2011, 11:10 am »
:thumb:

I bet!

Dave

My point is that it's very easy and inexpensive to do so I don't know why he doesn't do it. 

baumer

« Reply #84 on: 28 Mar 2011, 01:44 pm »

...Another thing that wasn't mentioned is the source drive for the data.  Make sure to use a HDD enclosure with the Oxford 934 or 936 chipset.  They sound the best, so far.  Use a good Firewire cable, too.

Dave

Not to get off topic, but what would be a good firewire cable to use? I'm using an Oyen drive with my 2010 Mini and use the FW800 cable that was provided with the unit.

Thanks,

Doug

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #85 on: 28 Mar 2011, 02:17 pm »
My point is that it's very easy and inexpensive to do so I don't know why he doesn't do it.
Dunno.  That is a good question.

Dave

dmccombs

« Reply #86 on: 28 Mar 2011, 04:00 pm »
Not to get off topic, but what would be a good firewire cable to use? I'm using an Oyen drive with my 2010 Mini and use the FW800 cable that was provided with the unit.

Thanks,

Doug

Doug,

If you power your drive from the wall, then our MBS Firewire would be an excellent choice.  It is a good cable, with good shielding, and it has the power lead cut so power does not flow through the cable with the audio signal.  See the link below for more info.
http://www.mach2music.com/order/mbs-firewire.html

Its a big sound improvement over the stock solution.    :thumb:

Darrell
www.mach2music.com

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #87 on: 28 Mar 2011, 04:02 pm »
You really think there is a difference in sonics with a FW cable coming from the external drive to the Mini?

dmccombs

« Reply #88 on: 28 Mar 2011, 04:05 pm »
You really think there is a difference in sonics with a FW cable coming from the external drive to the Mini?

Absolutely, no doubt.  We have tested various Firewire cables.  Some of the differences where slight, and some very noticeable.   The one's with the power lead cut generally sounded the best since the power signal and audio signal were seperated.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #89 on: 28 Mar 2011, 04:07 pm »
Absolutely, no doubt.  We have tested various Firewire cables.  Some of the differences where slight, and some very noticeable.   The one's with the power lead cut generally sounded the best since the power signal and audio signal were seperated.

Does this mean that the data is saved on the HD better then? 

dmccombs

« Reply #90 on: 28 Mar 2011, 04:47 pm »
Does this mean that the data is saved on the HD better then?

Some on the net think so, but I don't.  You end up with the same file and checksum.  I speculate that the firewire cables affect playback because they vary the electrical noise and the noise signature between the hard drive and the computer.

I was shocked that Firewire cable would make a difference, but the listening test results were obvious.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #91 on: 28 Mar 2011, 05:20 pm »
There is no doubt.  This is one of those places where we HAVE to let what we are hearing override our common sense and the math.

I know that you are a cable skeptic, just as Darrell and I both were (years apart in our discovery) until it became obvious that there are differences that a simple LCR construct does not allow.  Our math is just not complete in this arena.

This is one of those audio holy wars that has stirred endless debate and will continue to do so.  Difference is that the "believers" have (in general terms) taken the time to do the heavy lifting and listen instead of just "thinking" th,at cable differences are snake oil.  I know.  I was a die hard subjectivist until it finally occurred to me that all of the people couldn't be wrong, crazy, gullible or stupid.  Humility comes at a price sometimes.  Man I hated being wrong.

The USB cable is an integral part of the overall sonic signature.  Why?  All I have is theories and conjecture.  Certainly there is an LCR sweet spot that is necessary for good sound.  Thing is when you build 5 different cables all within 2 percent of the target and they sound wildly different something else is going on.  Part of it is EMI and RFI rejection.  Digital just doesn't like ANY noise for stellar reproduction. 

If I had the time to sit down and do a lot of testing, measurements and investigation, I probably would, but the fact is that this is one area that my ears are the final arbiter.  Besides I am so far behind right now that I simply don't have the time to waste precious time on something so obvious in application.

As in all things audio: YMMV...

Dave

PeteG

« Reply #92 on: 28 Mar 2011, 07:22 pm »

Darrell,

When using a MBS Firewire cable/external drive does the SQ come close or better than music coming directly off the SSD.
So far the SQ I am getting off the SSD I prefer over my MiniPro 800/400, I’m using a linear power supply on both Mac Mini/MiniPro.

-Pete

dmccombs

« Reply #93 on: 28 Mar 2011, 09:44 pm »
Pete,

The sound quality when using the MBS Firewire cable and a Hard drive using the Oxford chipset is very good.  Playing music off the internal SSD is better though.  Of course the downside is that you can only fit a small library (by today's standards) on an internal SSD.

Some of our customers use the MBS firewire cable with an External SSD drive.  This sound is almost exactly like the internal SSD (in my testing).

Darrell
www.mach2music.com

tasar

« Reply #94 on: 30 Mar 2011, 05:43 pm »
I understand we have a fire_wire "end-all" from "Signature" land

dmccombs

« Reply #95 on: 30 Mar 2011, 10:39 pm »
Has it been A/B'd against the MBS Firewire?  You can't claim its an "end all" until it beats the MBS. :thumb:
« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2011, 03:54 pm by dmccombs »

tasar

« Reply #96 on: 1 Apr 2011, 05:08 pm »
We'll have to wait.....benchmarks change all the time, it's the nature of the business.

Nels Ferre

« Reply #97 on: 1 Apr 2011, 11:28 pm »
 Another thing that wasn't mentioned is the source drive for the data.  Make sure to use a HDD enclosure with the Oxford 934 or 936 chipset.  They sound the best, so far.  Use a good Firewire cable, too.

Dave
[/quote]

Well, Dave, I gambled and won.  :thumb: I got to thinking about my hard drive situation and it started bugging me. I have been a happy Western Digital drive user for years and have recommended the Elements series USB drives unconditionally.

I tend to recycle drives into my Drobo (one of my backup solutions) when I upgrade to a bigger size drive. I didn't need to upgrade the drive size (1.5TB) so I looked around at FireWire 800 enclosures. I threw the dice on a Sans Digital Single Bay Towerstor. It arrived today, and I moved my drive from the USB enclosure to the new FireWire enclosure.  When I was doing that, I checked the chipset, as I couldn't find that info online. It has the Oxford 936.  :banana piano:  Not bad for $69.99.

Oops, looks like the price went back up to $79.99 since I ordered:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5705539&SRCCODE=WEBLET03ORDER&cm_mmc=Email-_-WebletMain-_-WEBLET03ORDER-_-Deals

I've only just started litening, but damn if its not better.

I guess I need a "good" FireWire cable now.   8)

Thanks for the heads up!

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #98 on: 2 Apr 2011, 12:30 am »
Another thing that wasn't mentioned is the source drive for the data.  Make sure to use a HDD enclosure with the Oxford 934 or 936 chipset.  They sound the best, so far.  Use a good Firewire cable, too.

Dave

Well, Dave, I gambled and won.  :thumb: I got to thinking about my hard drive situation and it started bugging me. I have been a happy Western Digital drive user for years and have recommended the Elements series USB drives unconditionally.

I tend to recycle drives into my Drobo (one of my backup solutions) when I upgrade to a bigger size drive. I didn't need to upgrade the drive size (1.5TB) so I looked around at FireWire 800 enclosures. I threw the dice on a Sans Digital Single Bay Towerstor. It arrived today, and I moved my drive from the USB enclosure to the new FireWire enclosure.  When I was doing that, I checked the chipset, as I couldn't find that info online. It has the Oxford 936.  :banana piano:  Not bad for $69.99.

Oops, looks like the price went back up to $79.99 since I ordered:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5705539&SRCCODE=WEBLET03ORDER&cm_mmc=Email-_-WebletMain-_-WEBLET03ORDER-_-Deals

I've only just started litening, but damn if its not better.

I guess I need a "good" FireWire cable now.   8)

Thanks for the heads up!
The Oxford chipset thing came from Eric Hider.  I'm just passing along good info when I can.  The Firewire cable is darned important.  The best one that I have heard is the MSB cable form Chronos Music available from Mach2.  Things are changing fast, though.  I thought things sounded really good 6 months ago, too........... :o

Dave

tasar

« Reply #99 on: 1 Nov 2011, 03:42 pm »
This thread has gone dry and I don't see anyone discussing the attributes of HD and USB sourced audio, as initiated here. I see nothing being discussed openly from Mach2 or dB Audio. Hopefully they haven't buried themselves at Facebook.  :argue: