WTL RIAA and DPS

Waynefi

WTL RIAA and DPS
« on: 2 Mar 2016, 05:57 am »
Hello, are these available in the US ? What is the current MSRP ?

Thanks

Wayne

threadkiller

Re: WTL RIAA and DPS
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2016, 03:54 pm »
$400 from any WTL dealer. I find it a necessity, just like an Auditorium mat.

glitchesbrew

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2021, 03:52 pm »
Does anybody know where to find a DPS power supply in UK or at least in Europe?

I've spoked with my dealer this morning and he said it's not listed amongst the products available from the distributor.

Thanks.

RPM123

« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2021, 10:01 pm »
Contact Well Tempered Lab...it's still listed.

https://www.welltemperedlab.net/products/dpspowersupply/

glitchesbrew

« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2021, 10:06 pm »
Ok thanks.

glitchesbrew

« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2021, 02:18 pm »
Contact Well Tempered Lab...it's still listed.

https://www.welltemperedlab.net/products/dpspowersupply/

I did that. I've been told to contact directly the UK distributor. I did that. I've been told it's not available in the UK. But also that the UK distributor replaces the cheap Chinese wall wart psu with better ones. My Versalex will be delivered next week so I can't tell right now what psu it has.

RPM123

« Reply #6 on: 20 Mar 2021, 04:51 pm »
Odd, that it's not available in the UK. Did the distributor say why? The WT website clearly shows that the DPS has a 120/240v input.

glitchesbrew

« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar 2021, 04:31 pm »
I'm not sure about the why. I think it's not very fond of them. In the meanwhile my Versalex has been delivered and it doesn't have the switching power supply but an aftermarket one (made by a company called Mascot) which is still a wall wart but it's linear.

ADiG

« Reply #8 on: 27 Mar 2021, 09:35 am »

glitchesbrew

« Reply #9 on: 27 Mar 2021, 10:31 pm »
I bought it here:

https://audio-intl.com/?page_id=3163&lang=en

Thank you!
I don't know if you live in the UK. If so what improvements did you find, if any, over the linear wall wart psu supplied in by the distributor?

ADiG

« Reply #10 on: 28 Mar 2021, 07:57 am »
Hello, I live in Italy and I have the WTL Amadeus GTA. with the dps the improvement is remarkable at a musical level: greater dynamics, speed, precision. the background noise caused by the standard adapter disappears in favor of better transparency. for me it is essential to obtain the maximum quality of our beloved "well tempered". regards

glitchesbrew

« Reply #11 on: 28 Mar 2021, 11:44 am »
Grazie  :)

G E

« Reply #12 on: 28 Mar 2021, 02:19 pm »
I built my own power supply

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=126851.0

I found the supply itself on eBay, added a case, got an old fashioned meter, and put it all together. It’s way overkill but it’s a fun retro look

glitchesbrew

« Reply #13 on: 28 Mar 2021, 02:26 pm »
I built my own power supply

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=126851.0

I found the supply itself on eBay, added a case, got an old fashioned meter, and put it all together. It’s way overkill but it’s a fun retro look

That looks really cool, but I'm no sure I have the expertise needed. Thanks for sharing though, I really like how it looks!

Kimiimacman

« Reply #14 on: 15 Apr 2021, 11:58 pm »
I bought it here:

https://audio-intl.com/?page_id=3163&lang=en
John Burns, the U.K. importer does not sell the DPS for two reasons;
1. He believes it sounds no better than the £20 Mascot transformer PS which greatly betters the SMPS supplied. (I cannot confirm this as I’ve not heard a DPS)
2. The DPS features a RCAs 12v outputs to drive a WT phonostage but a number of customers have inadvertently connected their tonearm leads to this with disastrous results (destruction of expensive cartridges) Poor design to use RCAs in his view and I agree, anything but really.

Because of both of these points he’s elected not to offer it.

ADiG

« Reply #15 on: 17 Apr 2021, 09:22 am »
Whoever makes connection mistakes and burns cartridges is not a competent audiophile!
The wall adapter is really loud, it creates an easily noticeable hum!
And then, the sound improves and a lot, as long as the listener has good ears to hear the difference.
Greetings
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2021, 02:21 pm by ADiG »

mick wolfe

« Reply #16 on: 17 Apr 2021, 06:27 pm »
A number of customers connected the tonearm leads to the DPS :scratch: The 12V inputs are clearly marked and won't accept anything but that particular type of 12V plug. Don't his customers simply read the manual or maybe they're too busy plugging their speaker cables into a wall outlet. That sounds kinda bogus even if one customer did it.....but a number of customers :roll:

RPM123

« Reply #17 on: 17 Apr 2021, 08:15 pm »
A number of customers connected the tonearm leads to the DPS :scratch: The 12V inputs are clearly marked and won't accept anything but that particular type of 12V plug. Don't his customers simply read the manual or maybe they're too busy plugging their speaker cables into a wall outlet. That sounds kinda bogus even if one customer did it.....but a number of customers :roll:

Sure does and if anyone can't figure out where to plug-in their tonearms leads, they should find a different hobby!