Console wishes

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
Console wishes
« on: 22 Sep 2007, 03:53 am »
These new consoles, so much power, such wonderful things!  Alas, the public still complains.  Here's some wishes:

General
I wish the Wii could play a DVD
I wish the 360 was quieter
I wish the PS3 had rumble
I wish the Wii was higher resolution
I wish the Wii remote had a larger range

Technical
I wish the 360 had a larger framebuffer so you didn't have to predicate tile
I wish they all streamed data of the disc faster
I wish the PS3 was easier to develop for
I wish the HD/SD switch of the 360 wasn't on the video cable!

Even with all that, what fantastic machines!  Extra hats-off to the Wii for the innovation and bringing gaming to a much larger market.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: Console wishes
« Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2007, 05:39 am »
My wishes for a console:

1)  17" wide chassis that can be racked up with my other gear.

2)  Standard component outputs in addition to HDMI (no breakout cable).

3)  Optical & coaxial digital outputs (no dongle).

4)  eSata/USB2 inputs for adding external HDs.

5)  The ability to add or change off-the-shelf HDs, without voiding the warranty.

6)  Good reliability.

7)  Extreme quietness.

Wireless controllers with a charging cradle would be nice, too.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2007, 04:45 pm »
I'm on my THIRD 360, here's my wishes in order of importance:

RELIABILITY  In this day and age.....Come on man, get it right!  :roll: Horrible.

MCE "EXTENDER" VERY VERY glitchy when wired to a MCE PC. The "Media Center" button rarely actually works. Usually tells me it can't find the PC on the network.  :evil: Since I received my third unit, I haven't gotten it to work on the network YET.

NOISE LEVEL Also in this day and age of quiet fans...come on man, WTF?!
How about some external heat sinks as well. They're cheap.
I like Rob's idea of a normal rack sized chassis. Hey....Then maybe the damn thing could get some cool air in it.  :roll:

CORDS Non-Proprietary cords would be nice.

VISUALIZATIONS That horrible "tie-died" visualisation that pops up automatically when tunes are playing needs to go.
A default of "OFF", would be nice.
OR....A visualization of a graphic EQ of the output it's producing would be super cool!!!!  aa

"LIVE" For those of us that live in an area where highspeed internet is unavailable, it would be nice to not have to be teased by all the cool features we're missing in every menu. It'd be nice to be able to turn this "OFF".

REMOTE Why they find it necessary to have the same 'action' use two different buttons depending on whether the tunes are sourced from the internal HD or via MCE is a bit 'clunky'. {Example}; The "B" button performs the 'back' function sometimes where as the actual button labeled "back" does this function on other screens? Bizarre.
Also, why is there such a delay from the time the remotes button is pressed to when the response in screen is taken? I often pass-up what I want because I think it didn't see the button press?

LED's The ability to dim the LED's on the face would be nice.

Things I like about the 360;
- I very much like the ability to stop a movie that the family is watching when it's bedtime and the kids go to sleep, remove the movie from the unit, insert a CD to hear some tunes, and then the following day reinstall the movie and it miraculously picks right back up where we left off. That's cool.
- Pretty good collection of games to chose from.
- Quality of overall gaming experience. Very nice.
- All of the buttons on the remote are large and light up very brightly. Very nice feature in a dark HT room.

With all the complaining, I really do love the unit. I just expect better out of modern day electronic equipment. Especially the first three things on my list. Those are in-exusable.

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2007, 07:39 pm »
Well, I suppose with only three of us bitching, NONE of the manufacturers will fix our complaints.  :lol:

Bob

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #4 on: 4 Oct 2007, 12:53 am »
I wish the 360 console menu did less swooshing...I would prefer to be able to get where I want to go without over-selecting.

Woodsea

« Reply #5 on: 4 Oct 2007, 01:19 am »
In this day and age, everything should be wireless...bluetooth 2 anyone. 
USB3 external HDD compatibility. 
Full downloadable games at 3/4 the cost, playable on your machine only.  With the capability to transfer to the next generation consoles. 
Media player with universal syncing with PMP.
Ability to access console over internet and download/upload content.  Be it saved games, music or cheats etc