What can replace my Logitech Squeezebox... ?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: What can replace my Logitech Squeezebox... ?
« Reply #20 on: 7 Mar 2016, 10:04 am »
I just zipped through the comments section of https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/comments and did not see comments referencing my next question.

Can I use TIDAL with the Raspberry Pi?

I'm reading more about Raspberry Pi, and about Rune, but it'll take some time before I get up to speed, I think.

JohnR

« Reply #21 on: 7 Mar 2016, 10:19 am »
You are thinking about it wrong. The RPi is (as someone said) just a computer, what is important is what software you can run on it. As a default position you can use the RPi as an Airplay endpoint and stream Tidal (or anything) to it from your Mac.

firedog

« Reply #22 on: 7 Mar 2016, 12:34 pm »
Do you want it to have a touch screen? Yes? Options limited.

No. Any computer that can Run LMS software + a tablet or phone as control point.

You can even use an inexpensive Cubox, old PC or laptop.

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #23 on: 12 Mar 2016, 05:42 pm »
I called the guys at Oppo to ask them about the "rendering" function of their 103 and 105.  He mentioned 2 different forms. I think one was DMR and the other I cannot remember what he called it. 

How would these work to replace something like the Squeezebox?

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
  • VPE Aerospace Consulting, LLC - LDW Model 1
« Reply #24 on: 13 Mar 2016, 03:44 am »
When Logitech got out of the biz, I sold my two Touch's and my Duet on eBay for a small fortune and bought a Sonos setup (Bridge+Connects+Play 1).  No complaints.

BTW, has anyone subscribed to the Berlin Philharmonic streaming live concerts using their Oppo Blu-Ray / Network player ?  Holy cats is it good.  Audio and HD Video.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #25 on: 13 Mar 2016, 04:23 am »
When Logitech got out of the biz, I sold my two Touch's and my Duet on eBay for a small fortune and bought a Sonos setup (Bridge+Connects+Play 1).  No complaints.

BTW, has anyone subscribed to the Berlin Philharmonic streaming live concerts using their Oppo Blu-Ray / Network player ?  Holy cats is it good.  Audio and HD Video.

I was not aware of this service. Thank you very much for the link. I will give it a try.

Michael

mfsoa

« Reply #26 on: 13 Mar 2016, 01:37 pm »
Michael,

A late reply to your Tidal question but I didn't see another comment-

I use Tidal on my Pi no problem, via the regular Logitech Media Server Plug-in. You don't need ickstream anymore it seems.

With piCorePlayer on the Pi, you can also upsample Tidal to whatever you want, and play with filtering etc.

Way cool and way easy.

I'm probably going to add a second Pi attached to my dac - 1 for HQPlayer via USB for the he-man listening experience and one as a Touch-substitute for internet radio and Tidal running piCorePlayer via the Hifiberry digi+ via spdif coax.

And likely add more Pis around the house to replace my duets, of which a few are already gathering dust.

-Mike

michaelhigh

« Reply #27 on: 13 Mar 2016, 10:34 pm »
Hey Willie,

I use a simple PC (Gateway, Windows 10, free JRiver 14 Media Jukebox, DAC of your choice) with 1 TB of onboard space, and an external 1 TB drive for backup. The PC doesn't have a lot of tasks running at all times, it never stutters, and it's stripped down and running as a music-first server. I bought it used and with virgin Windows 10 installed. It has Windows Defender so I can visit the web without fear of virus. I also keep CD copies of stuff I might want to leave somewhere, if perhaps someone likes my program material.

JRiver's a good basic player with lots of customizable features, always free, and it looks awesome on a 55" screen directly between the speakers from a good 12 feet away.

Wireless mouse and keyboard are your friends, as well as the remote that gives you cable or satellite. All-in-one, brother.

stereocilia

« Reply #28 on: 14 Mar 2016, 03:40 am »
When it's time to replace my squeezebox, I will look at Bluesound. If you are interested in compatibility with MQA when (if) it comes online, this might be your best bet. I don't have one myself, but I've used it and the GUI is nice on a tablet. The integration with Tidal was pretty seamless. http://www.bluesound.com/en-us/products/node-2/ http://www.bluesound.com/en-us/news-en-us/2016/bluesound-announces-mqa-partnership-at-ces-2016/

jk@home

« Reply #29 on: 14 Mar 2016, 11:30 am »
Michael,

A late reply to your Tidal question but I didn't see another comment-

I use Tidal on my Pi no problem, via the regular Logitech Media Server Plug-in. You don't need ickstream anymore it seems.

With piCorePlayer on the Pi, you can also upsample Tidal to whatever you want, and play with filtering etc.

Way cool and way easy.

I'm probably going to add a second Pi attached to my dac - 1 for HQPlayer via USB for the he-man listening experience and one as a Touch-substitute for internet radio and Tidal running piCorePlayer via the Hifiberry digi+ via spdif coax.

And likely add more Pis around the house to replace my duets, of which a few are already gathering dust.

-Mike
I have a Squeezebox Classics (3) going into an external C.I. DAC, that I have been using for  a while now. Never got around to upgrading to the Touch and then it's availability slipped away. Your setup sounds like just the ticket to upgrade the old Classic.
Edit: FYI, for the moment now, as per the developer, the new Raspberry Pi 3 doesn't work with piCore. So just get the 2 version.
« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2016, 01:59 pm by jk@home »

celo

« Reply #30 on: 13 Aug 2017, 02:53 pm »
So, if you use the SBT as a streamer only with an external DAC, Aries Mini upgrade (also used as a streamer) will not worth it? I have this in mind but not sure if selling my SBT for $150 and getting a used Mini for $400 will make any difference?

youravhandyman

« Reply #31 on: 16 Aug 2017, 12:33 pm »
In my use case, I installed a 1TB SSD containing my 24 bit music. These size of these files makes them susceptible to WiFi performance issues - no issue stored locally though. Wired ethernet introduces a slew of noisy gremlins to track down which I'm less inclined to tolerate with high resolution files.

JPM, check your network.  If streaming audio over ethernet creates noise in your system you have network issues.  Especially in light of your mentioned wifi issues.  1's and 0's at gigabit speeds shouldn't cause you any troubles.

Everything else  :thumb:

Shakeydeal

« Reply #32 on: 16 Aug 2017, 01:23 pm »
So, if you use the SBT as a streamer only with an external DAC, Aries Mini upgrade (also used as a streamer) will not worth it? I have this in mind but not sure if selling my SBT for $150 and getting a used Mini for $400 will make any difference?

I can tell you this. I recently replaced my SB Touch/Channel Islands Audio PS with a Chromecast paired with JRiver server software and bubbleupnp controller. The difference is NOT subtle. This new combination is head and shoulders above the SB. I have been using the Touch since ~2010 and I only wish I had done this sooner.

Shakey

dwk

« Reply #33 on: 16 Aug 2017, 09:13 pm »
I can tell you this. I recently replaced my SB Touch/Channel Islands Audio PS with a Chromecast paired with JRiver server software and bubbleupnp controller. The difference is NOT subtle. This new combination is head and shoulders above the SB. I have been using the Touch since ~2010 and I only wish I had done this sooner.

Shakey

Chromecast Audio, or the full Chromecast?  I set up a Chromecast Audio using the LMS software and it worked OK, but as long as my Touch is still working I didn't see any compelling reason to change. I didn't do much critical listening/comparison though.

mr_bill

« Reply #34 on: 16 Aug 2017, 09:53 pm »
Chromecast Audio, or the full Chromecast?  I set up a Chromecast Audio using the LMS software and it worked OK, but as long as my Touch is still working I didn't see any compelling reason to change. I didn't do much critical listening/comparison though.

I agree. CCA was a sideways move at best from my SBT.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #35 on: 16 Aug 2017, 10:55 pm »
It is a standard chromecast audio device. I'm not sure if the difference is the quality of the JRiver server over LMS or what? But it makes the SB sound broken (almost)........

Shakey

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #36 on: 18 Aug 2017, 01:17 am »
Anyone tried the Chromecast Audio as a streamer only, feeding an external DAC? I've read if you pair it with an awesome & cheapish DAC like the Schiit Modi Multibit, it can be awesome.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #37 on: 18 Aug 2017, 10:56 am »
Anyone tried the Chromecast Audio as a streamer only, feeding an external DAC? I've read if you pair it with an awesome & cheapish DAC like the Schiit Modi Multibit, it can be awesome.

That's the way I'm using it, into an MHDT Havana. I can't imagine using it or the SB any other way. The internal DACs pale by comparison.

Shakey