Hmmm, nothing like a slab of ribs!

PhilNYC

Re: Hmmm, nothing like a slab of ribs!
« Reply #60 on: 13 Jun 2008, 11:27 pm »
Nice looking bark Phil.  :thumb: Where did you purchase the stand-up rack?

Thanks!  The rib rack is from Weber:

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-3601-Rib-Rack/dp/B00004U9VC/

some young guy

« Reply #61 on: 13 Jun 2008, 11:33 pm »
Nice looking bark Phil.  :thumb: Where did you purchase the stand-up rack?

Thanks!  The rib rack is from Weber:

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-3601-Rib-Rack/dp/B00004U9VC/

Thanks! I should have just enough time to play around with it before the 4th gets here. Then it's serious ribs time!

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #62 on: 14 Jun 2008, 12:14 am »
I eat at the Salt Lick all the time. Right here in Austin we have the Mecca of BBQ- World Famous Lockhart and Elgin are 20 min away, Salt Lick, County Line and Stubbs all in town- Good Lord I love Austin!!!

Eric

« Reply #63 on: 24 Jun 2008, 10:24 pm »
I rub mine them smoke them low and slow at 225 for about 4-6 hours. Then serve sauce on the side

Brad

« Reply #64 on: 25 Jun 2008, 01:13 am »
Don't forget IronWorks in downtown Austin

Lots of good places in the ole capital city.  And   Elgin sausage...yummm...

Eric

« Reply #65 on: 25 Jun 2008, 05:55 pm »
I eat at the Salt Lick all the time. Right here in Austin we have the Mecca of BBQ- World Famous Lockhart and Elgin are 20 min away, Salt Lick, County Line and Stubbs all in town- Good Lord I love Austin!!!

Also Try Mueller's out in Taylor as well as Coopers, Rudy's. Love Salt-lick as well. We are in Round Rock

nikolas812

« Reply #66 on: 1 Sep 2008, 05:34 pm »
This thread is awesome!!

I have been trying to figure out how to cook ribs for the longest time. I'm 25 and have never really done much Barbecuing until recently. I have mastered chicken, I have mastered pork chops, I have mastered steaks. But I just can't figure out this rib thing. I think I am between 5-8 try's now and none of them have ended up the way I want. Two different times that I recall they did turn out pretty good. Awesome flavor and pretty tender. None have been fall off the bone type ribs. The rest i didn't even want to eat. I am looking to get fall off the bone ribs with great flavor that are cooked entirely on a gas grill.

So after reading this thread multiple times I decided to try it again today.

Here's what I am doing.

I got one slab of spare ribs.

I coated the slab in soysouce.

I made a rub consisting of 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup red pepper, 1/4 cup of black pepper, 1/4 cup of onion powder.

I evenly coated the ribs with the rub and let them set for about an hour( i know I should have let them set over night. But I will be busy tomorrow and don't have time to fool with them.)

I fired up the grill and have it set to 250 degrees. I have a pan of water and apple juice directly over the heat. And on the other side I have the ribs with no heat at all.

So this is were I am right now. I guess I am looking at 6+ hours of cooking time for these?

I will check them periodically and baste them with vinegar and apple juice.

I also have some Stubbs Original BBQ sauce to top them off with.

I also have some wood chips soaking that I plan to put on a couiple of hours before there done.

I also didn't learn about that membrane thingy until it was too late. I hope it doesn't matter too much.

So what do you guys think? Am I on the right track?

I would love to hear any opinions or recommendations anyone might have.

I'll report back when there done.

Cheers

Nick

PhilNYC

« Reply #67 on: 1 Sep 2008, 06:12 pm »
Nick, you're on the right track!  A couple of suggestions:

- Try to keep the temperature down between 200-225 degrees.  You can cook them longer this way, which is critical when smoking (and yes, 6 hours is the target time).  A higher temperature will cook them faster, and you won't get the "smoke ring" if they cook too fast.  (A "smoke ring" is when the rib meat turns pink...a sign that the smoke has actually cured the meat a little bit).  At 250 degrees, your ribs will be on the edge of overcooking at about 4.5 hours.

- "Fall off the bone" is actually a sign that the ribs are over-cooked.  You want the ribs to be at a point where if you tug at them, the meat is at the very beginning stages of separating from the bone, but not actually falling off.

- I recommend putting a small coating of the BBQ sauce on the ribs with about 1 hour left of cooking time.

I did a couple of racks yesterday:

nikolas812

« Reply #68 on: 1 Sep 2008, 06:34 pm »
Thanks!

I'll see what I can do about the temperature. Right now it is dead on 250. That's with only one burner and as low as it will go. I think anyway. I will go check it. I'll turn it completely down. But I don't think the temperature is going to get much lower. If not. You saying the they should be done at around 4.5 hours?

This is at 2.5 hours

Nick

PhilNYC

« Reply #69 on: 1 Sep 2008, 06:49 pm »
At 250 degrees, just start doing the "pull" test starting at 4 hours, and checking every 15 minutes.  As mentioned, pulling a little on a rib should show the meat to slightly separate from the bone.  Once it gets to that point, remove the ribs from the grill and let sit for 10 minutes before cutting.

nikolas812

« Reply #70 on: 1 Sep 2008, 06:55 pm »
Will do...

Thanks.

Nick

nikolas812

« Reply #71 on: 1 Sep 2008, 09:18 pm »
There still not done but they are starting to lool real damn good. The sauce is starting to thicken on them and they smell great!

I'm just waiting for the meat to seperate correclty from the bone. And then its dinner time!

These are looking like the best ones yet!

Eric

« Reply #72 on: 3 Sep 2008, 03:35 pm »
Another method is the 3-2-1 method. 3 hours smoke, 2 hours foiled, 1 hour out of foil with sauce.

ratso

« Reply #73 on: 26 Jul 2009, 05:28 pm »
hey gooberdude, try fat willy's on western ave. haven't actually had their ribs yet but that's because i can't get past their pulled pork sandwich - best Q i've had outside of kansas city.

PhilNYC

« Reply #74 on: 13 Jan 2010, 04:43 pm »
Did these just before New Year:

Because of the cold and wind, I had a hard time keeping the temp in my smoker between 200-225 (the wind kept burning out the charcoal too quickly), so after 2 hours, I moved them to the oven for another 3.3 hours.  They actually turned out pretty good...not quite as moist as they usually come out, so maybe I should have wrapped them in foil in the oven...

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #75 on: 13 Jan 2010, 05:04 pm »
Did these just before New Year:

Because of the cold and wind, I had a hard time keeping the temp in my smoker between 200-225 (the wind kept burning out the charcoal too quickly), so after 2 hours, I moved them to the oven for another 3.3 hours.  They actually turned out pretty good...not quite as moist as they usually come out, so maybe I should have wrapped them in foil in the oven...

I can attest to Phil's barbecueing prowess.  :drool:  This picture sure brings back memories of the last NY RAVE @ Phil's that I attended. Thanks of that Phil.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

BobM

« Reply #76 on: 13 Jan 2010, 05:09 pm »
Oh man, it's lunchtime and I'm hungry, but still working on that post-holidays diet to get back to fighting weight. Ribs will have to wait a few weeks.

PhilNYC

« Reply #77 on: 15 Jan 2010, 07:26 pm »
Btw - the actual ribs that I used in this latest picture were from Fairway...and I do think that they tasted better than the ones I usually use from Costco.  :scratch:

BobM

« Reply #78 on: 15 Jan 2010, 07:43 pm »
Welcome back to the forum Phil. Looking forward to catching up.

PhilNYC

« Reply #79 on: 7 May 2010, 02:20 pm »
Did these last weekend for a tailgate with my daughter's soccer team (the coach arranged for the team to attend a women's pro soccer game).  Didn't get to take a pic after cutting them, but they might have been the best I've done ribs in a year or so.  Completely dry-rubbed, no sauce, smoked with cherry wood for 4 hours...