Partial Bathroom Remodel

Early B.

Partial Bathroom Remodel
« on: 19 Aug 2022, 05:08 pm »
I'd like to perform a partial bathroom remodel which includes removing/replacing/recovering the 42-year-old bath wall tile. Besides being outdated, I've tried everything to remove the dark discolorations in the grout. Plus, the soap holder fell off several years ago. The tub, however, is in great shape, so there's no need to replace it. 

Should I replace the wall tiles, cover them up, regrout, or pursue another option? Thanks.

WGH

Re: Partial Bathroom Remodel
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2022, 08:23 pm »
Remove the tile.

After 42 years the plumbing inside the wall should be updated so you will end up removing tile anyway. You only get one opportunity to do it right the first time.

New fixtures will need a different hot and cold water layout.

Finally, there is no such thing as a partial bathroom remodel. The Bathroom Remodel Gods can't stop laughing at that idea  :lol:

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2022, 10:53 pm »
Finally, there is no such thing as a partial bathroom remodel. The Bathroom Remodel Gods can't stop laughing at that idea  :lol:

A fair point, but if that's the case, I'll forget about it. A complete remodel will cost about $20 grand merely for aesthetics. May the old remain old.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2022, 11:05 pm »
Gotta agree with WGH...remove it all. If I just wanted to replace close to original coverage, I'd run an oscillating tool around perimeter just to studs. Then start the dusty demo. PROTECT THE TUB if you intend to keep it. Don't assume you can be careful enough...it rarely happens. Cardboard, moving blankets, something. Tape it in place. FWIW I converted a lot of these tub alcoves to nice big showers.

Judging from the thick edge tiles (mud caps), I'll venture that cement board was put on top of drywall and then tiled. Common for the era but not how I'd do it now. I completely changed my thinking about waterproofing over the years, and the general thinking has also changed. I only use surface applied waterproofing now. Tie-in to tub is critical and by far the most failure prone area. I don't think I ever demo'd a bathroom where there wasn't evidence of water intrusion behind tile substrate.

Know your tile first. Very few trim tiles available now. Egde trims are the order of the day in most all cases unless you're going back to original white bisque wall tile like you have. I actually like the look of mud caps, but it's mostly a dinosaur.

I can guide you in the minute details, but I really recommend you do some reading and posting here for tile related stuff. Many pros there that don't turn their noses up at DIY and that's not all that common. I post there as carbidetooth.Lots of pics too, if you're looking for inspiration.

https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2022, 11:11 pm »
A fair point, but if that's the case, I'll forget about it. A complete remodel will cost about $20 grand merely for aesthetics. May the old remain old.

Have you thought of a budget? DIY can save a bunch, but material still has to be purchased.

By the way that mold and mildew tells me either the wall behind is wet or your vent fan is ineffective. Most think they're for removing stink, but actually for moisture. Whereabouts in the country are you?

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2022, 12:16 am »
The house I bought "as-is" was built in 1950, the bathroom needed an update although the shower doors with etched swan design was a classic. Tile was thickset on a 1" concrete bed. A small electric jackhammer works best to get down to framing or concrete block.

You have a 50/50 chance that the plumbing has a very slow drip inside the wall, one drip a week will attract termites because the water can't evaporate.

All tile, grout, sealer, and plumbing fixtures need to be on-site before demo starts and subs arrive. I used to allow 8 -12 week lead time, it could be more now.

I opted for a walk in shower instead of a tub. I was amazed how wet a bathroom can get without a shower door. I put up a shower curtain after that experiment.

Kept the toilet and replaced the vanity with a pedestal sink, they are not that expensive. I got mine at a closeout sale, it is a Porcher 20348-00.001. The shut off valves fits behind the pedestal, have to keep an eye on the plumber to get it in the right location.

The changes make the standard 9' x 5' bathroom look and feel larger. I really like the hand held shower head.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2022, 02:49 pm »
You could try something like Bathfitters to redo the shower/tub only.  They also take care of the tiles and plumbing.

Early B.

« Reply #7 on: 20 Aug 2022, 03:04 pm »
You could try something like Bathfitters to redo the shower/tub only.  They also take care of the tiles and plumbing.

This might be exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks.

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 20 Aug 2022, 03:29 pm »
Re-Bath does the same type of personalized bathroom remodels. The photos look nice.

https://www.rebath.com/