Removing tweeters on HT3

MukAudio

Removing tweeters on HT3
« on: 25 Mar 2021, 01:05 pm »
Hello,

I potentially have a damaged tweeter or midrange on one of my HT3s.  Jim suggested I unplug the tweeter so I could see if the distortion was coming from it or the midrange.

I have the four outer screws removed, but it isn't obvious to me how to get the tweeter out.  My HT3 is an older model and has what I believe is the Aurum Cantus ribbon rather than the newer RAAL.

Thanks,

Mark

Big Red Machine

Re: Removing tweeters on HT3
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2021, 01:08 pm »
Get a larger screw than the hole can handle, like a sheet metal #12 size, and long enough to handle, start it in the hole with your hand, not a screwdriver and yank that bad boy out. You obviously see the damage from trying to pry it out so don't even try.

Also, put painters tape all around the opening before this exercise for added protection.

jsalk

« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2021, 02:04 pm »
You can also use a pick.  Sets of them can be had at almost any hardware outlet.

Some of these have sharp curved ends.  Insert them through the screw hole and under the frame and then pry the tweeter out.  You have have to use some force, but be careful.  Once you break the seal, the tweeter will tend to come out quickly and could mar the cabinet once gravity takes effect.

This can often be quite a task, especially with older speakers.  While the fit was fairly tight to begin with, the baffle will expand and contract over time with changes in temperature and humidity.  So the fit may be tighter than when originally built.

- Jim

MukAudio

« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2021, 05:17 pm »
You can also use a pick.  Sets of them can be had at almost any hardware outlet.

The pick technique worked great.  No difficulties getting it out after that.

And this confirmed that it is the midrange driver which is distorting, not the tweeter.

Thanks,

Mark

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2021, 04:54 am »
Glad you were able to get it out.  However, with a ribbon tweeter, it's very unlikely there's a problem if the ribbon is tight and in tact.  There are no other fragile or  moving parts.

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2021, 01:44 pm »