Announcing 300B compatibility in Big 7

Gopher

Announcing 300B compatibility in Big 7
« on: 2 Nov 2014, 01:47 pm »
I wanted to make a formal announcement to all 7 owners that we officially support the 300b tube in 2a3 setting on our statement DACs.

Results aren't predictable and so far the Golden Lions are the ones to beat! 

Happy rolling!

shahed

Re: Announcing 300B compatibility in Big 7
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2014, 11:21 pm »
2.5V filament 300B tubes are said to be direct replacement of 2A3 in a 2A3 circuit for example the sophia electric 2.5v 300B. Does that mean, if we are putting regular 300B with 5v filament, it'll be operated with a lower voltage compare to a typical 300B circuit?  I also came across some DIY post saying that AC or DC voltage application to the heater will determine if higher/lower voltage is better.

I heard from Lukasz that he tried Psavne 300B in level 7 dac and loved it. Have you compared Golden Lion with any other 300B?

wisnon

« Reply #2 on: 3 Nov 2014, 09:06 am »
I think the 2A3 setting can work up to say 6.5watts, while the 45 setting is up to 4.5watts.

Some guys are busy testing out different 300Bs and will likely report back when they have made conclusions.

Personally, i like the 6A3.

sfox7076

« Reply #3 on: 3 Nov 2014, 02:10 pm »
I am sticking to my 101d's for now, but I have some 6A3s to try at some point. A pair of RCAs and some more on the way.

shahed

« Reply #4 on: 3 Nov 2014, 03:57 pm »
The report from theartofsound forum is that while 6A3 sounds glorious on 45 circuit, the sound is distorted on 2A3 circuit. Unfortunately, my level 7 only has 2A3 circuit. I've been patiently waiting for the 300B feedbacks. I've tried sovtek, Emission Lab 2A3 mesh and ken-rad 2a3 tube with different encouraging results.

Gopher

« Reply #5 on: 3 Nov 2014, 04:05 pm »
The report from theartofsound forum is that while 6A3 sounds glorious on 45 circuit, the sound is distorted on 2A3 circuit. Unfortunately, my level 7 only has 2A3 circuit. I've been patiently waiting for the 300B feedbacks. I've tried sovtek, Emission Lab 2A3 mesh and ken-rad 2a3 tube with different encouraging results.

Yes, the 6a3 has to be driven in 45 mode to sound right.  I did get a report yesterday that the Sophia 300B 2.5V you inquired about is another holy grail tube for the Level 7 though.  In some ways it is supposed to better the 6a3 and its definitely better than the Golden Lions.

shahed

« Reply #6 on: 3 Nov 2014, 04:16 pm »
Thanks Fred for the update! This is great news. Do you know if the Sophia 300B 2.5v was mesh plate or carbon plate?

wisnon

« Reply #7 on: 3 Nov 2014, 04:20 pm »
Yes, the 6a3 has to be driven in 45 mode to sound right.  I did get a report yesterday that the Sophia 300B 2.5V you inquired about is another holy grail tube for the Level 7 though.  In some ways it is supposed to better the 6a3 and its definitely better than the Golden Lions.

It makes no difference on my B7, but its a late Sept. build...

I tried on both setting and could hear no difference.

Geardaddy

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jan 2015, 05:43 am »
Can anyone explain why using a mismatched voltage tube sounds better or is advisable longterm?

wisnon

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jan 2015, 11:29 am »
Check out Ohm's law.

There is no voltage rating on the settings, they are auto balancing wattage ratings.

Lissnr

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jan 2015, 05:28 am »
I have been fairly busy with the Big 7/300B topic for a little while now after getting the OK from Lukasz himself about experimenting with them about a month ago. I had  mentioned how I liked the 300B tube in former amps over the years and he told me "It should be fine" to try it on my B7 with the switch set to the 2A3 position.I happened to have a "leftover/used" pair of Electro Harmonix 300B's from an amp I had sold awhile ago (I sold it with the Sophia Ceramic Base Gold Pins) and I found the 300B's a refreshing breath of air to my entire presentation. Compared to my Sovtek 2a3's (which were the first tubes I used when I received it) my B7 was more full bodied and much more fleshed out...tonal shadings were more defined and the "tangibility factor" was more apparent.  At the time I was using the Shuguang 274B rectifier. Swapping the Shuguang for a NOS "National Union" 5u4 wasn't much more than a lateral move and I am temporarily  back to the Shuguang while looking forward to trying an EM Lab 5u4G Mesh plate...
Meanwhile, for me, the big news for "The Big 7" is the topic here... my exuberance over the brand new Sophia 2.5v 300B Carbons I installed 2 days ago. In a word: WOW. Again: WWOWW!
I can't believe that this dac had ANY more room for improvement and it keeps shocking me every time I do something "nice" for it! Whether it's a power cord designed for digital (see some earlier posts on the TWL Digital American), some sort of superior vibration isolation (I use Sistrum Stands to great effect) or the most obvious choice: premium tubes...this Dac never ceases to truly amaze me.
Sophia Carbons brought : Deeper, richer tones; deeper, wider soundstage; perfect timing/pace of each notes' "attack and decay"...highs drifted or sparkled and bass rumbled or slammed...and all the while my system just said "Do me, I'll keep up...!".
The friend who recommended them said the difference between the EH's and Sophia Carbons will be like a chevy sedan and a Porsche 911 turbo. He was right.
So, YES, try your favorite 300B's and share your thoughts here. But mostly just enjoy your time in the sweet spot...listening just keeps getting better and better and better..... Happy Lissn'n, Lissnr

sfox7076

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jan 2015, 02:02 pm »
I am down to only the 300bs left to roll to.  So far, the Western Electric 101Ds with the Western Electric 274b rectifier has won the day.  No real shock to me there.  I need to get a pair of Sophias 2.5v Carbons, but that will take some tube sales.  Anyone who has interest in tubes for a Big 7 should send me an email.  I have the following I would potentially let go:  1 pair RCA JAN 2A3s (they are of different years, but matched construction and testing (well over NOS on my Hickok, 94% on an Amplitrex); 2-3 pairs of 6A3s (testing at NOS or one pair slightly below (which for the DAC is fine as you don't need a driver tube GM to use it)); a pair or two of 45 globe tubes (they test below NOS, but not low and I cannot find any of my 45 globes that test at NOS for a 45 tube); a few 5U4G tubes and, possibly, a U52 Brimar rectifier.  I don't have a huge desire to sell these, so this is not a fire sale, but I am not seeking to make a profit either.

Shawn

Geardaddy

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jan 2015, 02:26 am »
Check out Ohm's law.

There is no voltage rating on the settings, they are auto balancing wattage ratings.

Is that your answer or L's?  I was told fairly recently that he was unsure.

I figured the 6A3, being a 6V version of the 2A3, is simply a Spinal Tap type phenomena with "11" sounding better than 10.

Its a moot point as it sounds like the Carbons are the way to go....for now. 

sfox7076

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jan 2015, 05:55 am »
Yeah.  I got a pair of tubes in a trade that has me rethinking some of my prior comments.  More to come...

wisnon

« Reply #14 on: 11 Jan 2015, 12:40 pm »
Tap, tap, tap…we are waiting...

ALRAINBOW

« Reply #15 on: 21 Jan 2015, 12:49 am »
I have 5 pairs of 300B as they have some commanality they still sound very diffenet . If there is only one tube to roll the 300 B is the one that has many options to choose from. While 6A3 is very clean it does have less meat thana 300B. My current fav is the elrogs . They have the most detail and maintain meaty . Second to that is the ps vane we300 b and the eml ananveesry globes.bitthey are 45 ,s. But they do have the details and meaty .
Al

sfox7076

« Reply #16 on: 21 Jan 2015, 05:21 am »
I am waiting for Gopher to let me know the tube I am using is ok for the DAC.  If it is, I will let you all know. 

wisnon

« Reply #17 on: 2 Oct 2015, 11:50 am »
I am waiting for Gopher to let me know the tube I am using is ok for the DAC.  If it is, I will let you all know.
What was this tube Shawn?

« Last Edit: 2 Oct 2015, 02:15 pm by wisnon »

dminches

« Reply #18 on: 2 Oct 2015, 12:17 pm »
This weekend I will be trying a pair of KR Audio 300Bs and then a pair of Takatsukis.

wisnon

« Reply #19 on: 2 Oct 2015, 01:59 pm »
This weekend I will be trying a pair of KR Audio 300Bs and then a pair of Takatsukis.
Sweeet. let me know how that goes David. Also please compare to other tubes you have tried...