Honey Oak
4 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Voting closed: 21 Sep 2004, 08:51 pm

ACI Finish choices

Mike Dzurko

ACI Finish choices
« on: 21 Sep 2004, 08:51 pm »
Please vote for the finish of your choice. Also, suggest any finishes you'd like to see us add. Remember, we do lots of custom, but just want ideas here. Thanks!

Link to finishes page:

http://www.audioc.com/products1/finishes.htm

MaxCast

ACI Finish choices
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2004, 09:01 pm »
I've come to admire the lighter woods/stains.  I voted for Maple but would also like the lighter Oak and Cherry.

Eric

ACI Finish choices
« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2004, 09:55 pm »
I like the cherry, because it actually deepens and matures over time

Jay S

ACI Finish choices
« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2004, 10:37 pm »
I really like the Rose Walnut.  I've got these beautiful panels on my Force sub.  My sub is in a reasonably conspicuous location (right next to a couch, facing the front door) and I've gotten many compliments on the way it looks.  Its also functional -- some people use it as a low coffee table to place drinks.  No one has ever pointed out (localized) the sub when I've played music so I guess that's a testament that it integrates pretty well too!  I haven't played with the settings too much so I guess it can only get better.

Rich Carlson

ACI Finish choices
« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2004, 10:55 pm »
I'm a fan of cherry, because I like the looks and it fits in with other medium-tone woods (e.g., maple). I think (and my wife agrees) that the darker woods such as rosewood are hard to fit into a room that has lots of woods already.  As for new finishes -- piano black lacquer can look really cool!

Rich

brj

ACI Finish choices
« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2004, 10:56 pm »
When you say cherry, do you mean natural cherry or the "red" variety?

I like the natural cherry that, as other pointed out, darkens over time.  I don't like the red variety.

Mike Dzurko

ACI Finish choices
« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2004, 08:01 pm »
Quote from: brj
When you say cherry, do you mean natural cherry or the "red" variety?

I like the natural cherry that, as other pointed out, darkens over time.  I don't like the red variety.

Brj:

We mean a natural cherry with a clear stain. Here's a link to our finishes page. Thanks to all for your input, I'd like to see a lot more!

http://www.audioc.com/speakers/finishes.htm

thedeskE

• http://www.thedeske.com
ACI Finish choices
« Reply #7 on: 22 Sep 2004, 08:42 pm »
Mike - I love the no frills look of my Essence in Arch Black. If there were a black textured side panel option for the Pano/Saphs, I would have ordered that instead of the wood model.

Don't know if an HDF panel would damp properly or be durable enough, but I had those thoughts when I ordered.

Another item having to do with finish is the sheen of my front set. I use my Essence right in front of my TV and less than an inch from the screen. I cover the top with flat black thaeter cloth to kill the reflection. The L/Rs are angled slightly, so it's not a problem. A 5-10 point sheen would be less durable for scratches, and shows less depth in the wood, so it might be a tough sell. In black, it would almost look unfinished to some people. B&W comes in at about 15 or so, but they really pile on the number of coats. Too expensive.
I'm guessing your shop tells you the more gloss, the tougher the finish. It's true.

I'll be the rare bird with the matte black request. You could call it Studio. How's that sound?

E

durholt

ACI Finish choices
« Reply #8 on: 23 Sep 2004, 08:36 pm »
I would have to say there are two scenarios... :-) why make it easy.

We chose Black Oak because it sort of fades into the back and we were afraid a RoseWalnut or Cherry would clash with the Cherry cabinet (red variety) we had made for our widescreen and audio gear. I love the way the Black Oak looks. Sort of a "check me out" kind of look minus the "Here I am!" attitude. (I have to say my wife was right on this one)

If the look worked, however, I love the Rose Walnut as well. If it were a screen/projector setup then I would probably go with the Rose Walnut.

The Cherry looks nice, but too "natural" for my taste.

EMT

ACI Finish choices
« Reply #9 on: 28 Sep 2004, 10:37 am »
My overwhelming favorite by a wide margin is natural cherry. I love the deep color that it turns with age and exposure to sunlight. My Essence Vs get better looking every day.

circularduck

ACI Finish choices
« Reply #10 on: 8 Oct 2004, 02:14 pm »
If I had to pick a favourite (which would be the point of this thread), it would be the natural cherry.  I think it has a fairly neutral tone.  I am not a big fan of oak, so I won't comment on it.  I like the look of the maple, and the mahogany in certain environments.  I actually made my DIY Titan using a figured mahogany type wood veneer, with solid maple accents.  I don't have much experience with the walnuts, so I won't comment on them either.  So I rank them

1) Natural Cherry
2) Mahogany
3) Natural Maple

I'm not sure how it would look on a speaker, but there are many newer maple stains used in kitchen cabinets.  For example, I have a pecan like stain on mine which I really like.  I know it's not the easiest wood to stain, but have you done any experimentation with it?

Marbles

ACI Finish choices
« Reply #11 on: 8 Oct 2004, 02:23 pm »
Black in the reference HT room in the basement to hide itself when a movie is playing.

Medium Oak in the family room to blend with the furniture.

Red cherry finish in the bedroom to blend with the furniture.

mgalusha

ACI Finish choices
« Reply #12 on: 8 Oct 2004, 02:34 pm »
I really like natural cherry followed closely by maple and oak. I like most woods better with just a clear finish allowing the wood to display it's natural characteristics. I will say that the cherry stained birch on my ELT is very nice and I'm not generally a fan of birch but this looks great.

JoshK

ACI Finish choices
« Reply #13 on: 8 Oct 2004, 02:39 pm »
My top three wood finishes, equally favorite, but just a matter of context and decor which I choose.

1) Natural Cherry - Cherry has a beautiful grain and it changes over time which gives it a very cool character
2) Walnut - especially dark walnut, or dark walnut with light patches
3) Mahogany - IMO it is the color, more than the grain that I love about mahogany.  The grain is cool and has an old world charm, but not the best of the grains.   I especially enjoy dark stained (not red!) mahogany which looks very rich and elogant.

Least favorite:  any red-stained, red-dyed wood. yuck!  ymmv

thugh

ACI Finish choices
« Reply #14 on: 8 Oct 2004, 03:13 pm »
A Birdseye Maple would be awesome.

Eric

ACI Finish choices
« Reply #15 on: 8 Oct 2004, 03:15 pm »
I have a tiger maple finish on one of my guitars that is also awsome. Koa wood is gorgeous as well

bubba966

ACI Finish choices
« Reply #16 on: 11 Oct 2004, 04:44 pm »
I voted for Maple as there wasn't any Satin or Gloss Black Lacquer option in the poll.

If I had to have speaks in a room where the finish would be desirable to be seen, I'd want to have them in Maple (or maybe Walnut it it doesn't have any sapwood).

But for a HT setup, I'd want Satin Black Lacquer.

Andrikos

ACI Finish choices
« Reply #17 on: 11 Oct 2004, 04:54 pm »
I'm a maple guy.
Are there any chances to see birds-eye, curly, quilted, burled, tiger etc. etc. maples? Those are awesome! :)

ohenry

ACI Finish choices
« Reply #18 on: 11 Oct 2004, 04:55 pm »
I like maple veneers due to the diverse grain patterns that are available.

mcgsxr

ACI Finish choices
« Reply #19 on: 11 Oct 2004, 05:39 pm »
I guess JoshK and I butt heads over this one, I am a fan of the red mahogany, but think that black would be best suited for HT applications.

Maple is my next fav, for the record.

Mark in Canada