Welcome to The Tube-O-Phile Circle

m.oreilly

Re: Welcome to The Tube-O-Phile Circle
« Reply #60 on: 8 Aug 2021, 10:21 pm »
Love this site!
After spending years lost in SS, I started missing the tubes. I kind of jumped the gun this time and forgot how I love the EL34, and picked up a KT88 power amp to mate with my old Audio Mirror T-61. While I am burning in a quad of KT77 (I just could not get into the 88/90 sound), I am close to purchasing a few other tube type amps (300B, 845, etc.). I think I can pull it off as my wife sees all my gear as either silver or black metal boxes...
Sorry, my name is Michael, I'm from the US and love purchases that I can mod/need some TLC. I just finished a set of Devore clones with the help of HumbleHomeHiFIs Tony Gee and am burnt out on speaker tweaking for a bit, so it's back to something with tubes...

Michael

richidoo

« Reply #61 on: 9 Aug 2021, 12:14 am »
I just finished a set of Devore clones with the help of HumbleHomeHiFIs Tony Gee and am burnt out on speaker tweaking for a bit, so it's back to something with tubes...

Welcome to AudioCircle, Michael!

Tony is very talented. I'm working on a speaker like that too, inspired by his Plutone.
Rich

MAS_audio

« Reply #62 on: 25 Aug 2022, 12:10 am »
I am new to the group but have had a Audiopax Model 88 tube monoblocks for about 20 years.  They are unique because they use KT88s but output in triode mode.  Very wonderful sounding and a great match for the Avantgarde Duo horn speakers.  I am looking at changing out the KT88s (4 total) and wonder what others are using and what you recommend for a quality 88.  I am using Mullard 12AT7 NOS for the drivers and love them - don't plan to change them - but the current 88s have probably 3000 hours on them and are ready to go!

richidoo

« Reply #63 on: 25 Aug 2022, 12:45 am »
Welcome to AudioCircle, MAS
I've used Gold Lion KT-88s with good results in Audio Research amp. Nice sound, and reliable. Jim McShane is a good source for NewSensor tubes.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #64 on: 25 Aug 2022, 01:50 am »
Jim McShane is out of GL KT88s, I believe he still has some EH KT88s.

hififanatic

« Reply #65 on: 16 Sep 2022, 01:15 am »
just bought my first piece of tube equipment since  college back in the 80's.  Raven Blackhawk 20w integrated.  Love the sound but I'm driving very inefficient speakers (b&w 802 series 80).  considering Reference 3A de capo BE.  thoughts?

mick wolfe

« Reply #66 on: 16 Sep 2022, 11:57 pm »
Once again the question is, room size, music choices and listening levels? The 3A's would be excellent for an average sized room at decent but not outrageous listening levels. Add a REL or similar sub or 2 if necessary. For larger rooms at even higher vol. levels, 4th generation Klipsch Heritage starting with the Heresy 4, Tekton Lore's or new ZU DW 6's..... or something more upscale in any of their lineups if needed.

jwags818

« Reply #67 on: 17 Nov 2022, 06:39 pm »
 Hello all,
 I am Jeff from Corvallis Oregon. A 57 year old engineer with a habit of spending all my money on my stereo. I have a 300B DIY amp that I just love. It has all Lundahl iron, tent labs filament boards, D3a driver tubes, Duelund coupling caps, Soviet Mil Spec paper in oil power supply caps and autoformer volume controls. A pair of Klipsch La Scalas ( my amp is dead silent even with these speakers). A VPI Aries Extended TT with a 12.6" JMW arm. Dynavox 20X2 MC Cartridge, Tube S2 phono amp, PS Audio DirectStream DAC and Audiolab CD transport. If anyone is in my area drop me a line and we can get together.

Jeff

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #68 on: 17 Nov 2022, 09:37 pm »
Hello all,
 I am Jeff from Corvallis Oregon. A 57 year old engineer with a habit of spending all my money on my stereo. I have a 300B DIY amp that I just love. It has all Lundahl iron, tent labs filament boards, D3a driver tubes, Duelund coupling caps, Soviet Mil Spec paper in oil power supply caps and autoformer volume controls. A pair of Klipsch La Scalas ( my amp is dead silent even with these speakers). A VPI Aries Extended TT with a 12.6" JMW arm. Dynavox 20X2 MC Cartridge, Tube S2 phono amp, PS Audio DirectStream DAC and Audiolab CD transport. If anyone is in my area drop me a line and we can get together.

Jeff

Dude,

I knew I couldn't be the only audiophool in Corvallis.  :thumb: I'll send you a PM if I can. You may need to post two more times before anyone can PM you. [Edit: I just noticed you included an email link.]

Michael

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #69 on: 18 Nov 2022, 07:37 pm »
Hello all,

Jeff
Welcome to AC.  I am just a few miles up streem on the Willamette in the lovely Hamlet of Harrisburg.

Alan

Arzupancic

« Reply #70 on: 23 Aug 2023, 02:05 pm »
Hey all,

New to the forum and new to the circle. Have already found some great info and loving all the glam shots of peoples’ systems.

- Tony

Cmdc

• Vinyl. Tubes. OB and single driver speakers.
« Reply #71 on: 1 Oct 2023, 01:49 pm »
New to this circle and to AudioCircle.  I listen primarily to vinyl and primarily to tubes. A Dodd Audio phono stage was my introduction to tubes years ago. I stumbled onto Decware amps in 2018 or so, and have never looked back. In addition to the Dodd, I’m currently running Decware Se84UFO25, ZMA, Torii Mk IV, SE84UFO, ZP3, ZRock2, and ZBox in various systems. I’ve been on the waiting list for a Sarah for 7 months, with another 2+ years to go. I suspect. In the meantime, I keep pondering Dennis Had and Will Vincent gear despite having no conceivable place to put it. As with most folks, I tend to think my taste in music is pretty wide ranging; whether that’s quantitatively true or not, who can say.

mick wolfe

« Reply #72 on: 1 Oct 2023, 05:23 pm »
You might also check out the Kenny Russell offerings at www.getdynaco.com. This especially if you're fond of EL84 based amps. His "new" ST-35 build is superb and "supposedly" tops the little 2 or 3 watt Decware Zen with ease. Now before you shoot the messenger, this is according to drD E, an audio reviewer you can find on YouTube. He has or had both amps in house and if nothing else, he retained the ST35.