Stunning performance Met Opera

JBrahms

Stunning performance Met Opera
« on: 22 Jan 2013, 03:41 pm »
Every now and then I hear a performance that reestablishes the primacy of music among my hobbies and passions.
Saturday's Met in HD performance of Maria Stuarda was such a performance. 
Joyce DiDonato was simply brilliant, lifting the rest of the cast up in every scene.

I was unfamiliar with the music so it just hit me without any preconceptions.  What a find, fantastic, opera at its best.  Some great ensemble scenes, to rival those in Lucia.

The confrontation scene between Elizabeth and Mary was just high theater at its best.  When DiDonato was offstage things stepped back a bit, but only just enough to confirm the importance of her contribution.

I just called the Met Opera store and they won't have it on DVD for perhaps a year.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Stunning performance Met Opera
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2013, 06:47 pm »
I saw Joyce DiDonato as Dorabella in Così fan tutte 12 years ago in DC and as Rosina in Le Barbier de Séville a couple of years ago in Milan.  She has really matured as an artist and has a lovely voice.   She also has great control over her voice and does all the subtle things well to deliver the emotions of the music.  She has become a great coloratura.  I like her a lot.

I am glad you caught a great performance.   :thumb:

JBrahms

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2013, 09:13 pm »
I'm jealous!

Randy

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2013, 01:36 am »
I saw Joyce DiDonato as Dorabella in Così fan tutte 12 years ago in DC and as Rosina in Le Barbier de Séville a couple of years ago in Milan.  She has really matured as an artist and has a lovely voice.   She also has great control over her voice and does all the subtle things well to deliver the emotions of the music.  She has become a great coloratura.  I like her a lot.

I am glad you caught a great performance.   :thumb:

I saw her in Don Giovanni  at the Royal Opera in London three or four years ago. She made me proud to be an American.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2013, 04:23 pm »
I saw her in Don Giovanni  at the Royal Opera in London three or four years ago. She made me proud to be an American.

Definitely.  She and Juan Diego Flores made a perfect pair for Rossini's Barber on this de facto opening night at La Scala.  There was some kind of worker's strike going on that cancelled the first performance.  Lucky for us they resolved the issue for our night at the opera.  The pair did not bring the house down as I thought the orchestra had some issues that night but singing was really good.  They kept the loggionisti (opera hooligans of La Scala) at bay.  8)

BTW,  that must have been the season when she broke her leg.  Did you see her before or after the accident?  I haven't been to Covent Garden yet.  I must, soon.   

Randy

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2013, 06:49 pm »
Definitely.  She and Juan Diego Flores made a perfect pair for Rossini's Barber on this de facto opening night at La Scala.  There was some kind of worker's strike going on that cancelled the first performance.  Lucky for us they resolved the issue for our night at the opera.  The pair did not bring the house down as I thought the orchestra had some issues that night but singing was really good.  They kept the loggionisti (opera hooligans of La Scala) at bay.  8)

BTW,  that must have been the season when she broke her leg.  Did you see her before or after the accident?  I haven't been to Covent Garden yet.  I must, soon.

I had to look it up, but I was at Covent Garden for that performance of Don Giovanni in Sept. of "08. It was a new production that got mixed reviews overall, but everybody raved about Didonato. She broke her leg in July of the next year. Yes, the Royal Opera House is a special place. I've been back since, and always hope there's something on of interest to me when I go to London. I hope you can get there soon.

JBrahms

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2013, 08:46 pm »
Which one of her recordings would you recommend?   

Randy

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jan 2013, 10:18 pm »

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #8 on: 25 Jan 2013, 11:01 pm »
HDtracks has a couple of Didonato albums. Any opinions?
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2013, 10:38 pm by Atlplasma »