Cooking Bacon

Mag

Cooking Bacon
« on: 9 Aug 2023, 06:54 pm »
  I love Bacon! :drool:  I like it crispy and up until now I've been cooking bacon in the microwave on a hot plate until crispy.
The problem however has been the disposal of the grease. I dump most of it in a jar and throw it in the trash. However washing the hotplate in the sink will eventually clog the drain pipe even while being careful to keep it to a minimum. And now my microwave is not working at high power and I haven't replaced it yet.
  So I decided to try a different method for cooking bacon. First I defrost the bacon, then I take it out of package and place in pot on my induction stove top. Then I season with a light coating of genuine Maple syrup and cook at 350 for 9 to 12 minutes until near crispy.
  The Maple syrup makes it taste so yummy I can't get enough. :inlove:
 The little bit of grease that is left in the pot I dump down the toilet and flush. I can now enjoy the great taste of bacon and not clog the sink pipe using this method.

Loki57

Re: Cooking Bacon
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2023, 07:13 pm »
We always use the oven. The drippings go in the garbage when it cools. Then the dogs get to lick the sheet pan. They love the flavor of bacon too.

qdrone

« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2023, 08:33 pm »
Why not just buy Maple Flavored Bacon? Also I would recommend poring the fat in the sink not the toilet. Get the water in your sink as hot as it can be to help move the fat down the pipes in liquid form before it hardens.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2023, 08:44 pm »
Could stop eating bacon too. Win-win for your drains and your arteries.  :lol:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 9 Aug 2023, 09:11 pm »
We always use the oven. The drippings go in the garbage when it cools. Then the dogs get to lick the sheet pan. They love the flavor of bacon too.

Mostly we cook in the oven as well (sometimes I will fry it).

When cooking in the oven, we use a sheet pan covered in foil and wire rack on top of that.

This approach creates super crispy bacon and with minimal clean-up required (just need to wash the wire rack).  Let the grease harden on top of the foil, roll it up and throw it out - clean and easy.

This approach also allows you to easily add flavorings/seasonings to your bacon.  Bourbon, maple syrup, spices, rubs, etc...

George

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 9 Aug 2023, 10:25 pm »
I use the very traditional cast iron skillet.  I catch the drippings in a jar, which go to make my vegetables taste better and make them less healthy. 

Don't ever put grease down a drain, any drain.   Catch what you can, wipe out what you can, soap the tiny remainder (except for cast iron- leave a bit in the skillet). 

jpm

« Reply #6 on: 9 Aug 2023, 10:26 pm »
For the longest time we used an old air fryer - quick, easy cleanup, get the exact crispiness you want.

The downside was that the air fryer had to become dedicated to cooking bacon as, despite cleaning out the pan during and after cooking, bacon fat must have been blown further into the machine by the "air" part of air fryers.

Every time we fired up the old air fryer there'd be a smell of bacon cooking, which while being a good thing wasn't always what you wanted.

Since the old air fryer died I've gone back to pan frying bacon rather than dedicate a new air fryer. With a good frying pan (and a splatter guard) the results are hard to beat.

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 9 Aug 2023, 10:51 pm »
Cast iron here too with a splatter shield and the outside vented range hood is on. My previous house didn't have a hood and after years and years of roasting chicken at 450°F (oh so good) and frying bacon the walls and everything else was covered with a thin film of oil.

Grease and oil is poured into a container and stored in the freezer, when it's full it goes out on trash day.

When my Dad made breakfast for the family he used a pound of bacon. When the bacon was crispy it was piled up on paper towels and covered to keep warm.
He then carefully cracked the eggs into the same pan with the 1/2" of bacon drippings and basted the yokes with hot bacon grease until set.
Toasted white bread with margarine and cheap strawberry preserves rounded out our breakfast feast.

I can't remember if he smoked an unfiltered Camel cigarette while cooking but he probably did. 

MttBsh

« Reply #8 on: 9 Aug 2023, 11:15 pm »
Am I the only one who likes bacon cooked just enough to still be tender? I far prefer it chewy than crisp. I just microwaved 4 large strips for 1 1/2 minutes then put them on toasted sourdough with mayo, large slices of homegrown tomatoes, avocado and a handful of arugula. Absolutely delicious.

Mag

« Reply #9 on: 10 Aug 2023, 12:39 am »
Why not just buy Maple Flavored Bacon? Also I would recommend poring the fat in the sink not the toilet. Get the water in your sink as hot as it can be to help move the fat down the pipes in liquid form before it hardens.

What happened was I wanted to try real Maple Syrup, not the fake cheap stuff. So I bought a bottle for $25 cdn and have been trying it in various things like coffee, waffles, bacon and I think I'm going to try mixing it in hamburger next along with other spices like ginger, paprika, garlic, vegetable seasoning, lemon juice, salt.
  Clogging the kitchen sink has been a pia for me. I figure the toilet should be okay, much bigger pipe. :smoke:

WGH

« Reply #10 on: 10 Aug 2023, 12:58 am »
I figure the toilet should be okay, much bigger pipe.

Given time, even a big pipe will clog

Read about London's fatburger
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/sep/12/total-monster-concrete-fatberg-blocks-london-sewage-system

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #11 on: 10 Aug 2023, 01:46 am »
Am I the only one who likes bacon cooked just enough to still be tender? I far prefer it chewy than crisp. I just microwaved 4 large strips for 1 1/2 minutes then put them on toasted sourdough with mayo, large slices of homegrown tomatoes, avocado and a handful of arugula. Absolutely delicious.
I'm pretty sure the preference of floppy bacon is a sign of psychosis.  :lol:

Bacon on a grittle or in a pan for me. If cooking large batches, place in the oven on a wire rack to get nice and crispy. Or my favorite way for bacon delivery device is make a woven mat of bacon, and replace that for the top crust of an apple pie. Add a couple slices of gruyere cheese on the plate, and oh man...

GentleBender

« Reply #12 on: 10 Aug 2023, 08:32 am »
I like to cook my bacon on a pellet smoker. I like the really thick cut bacon so I can smoke it for about 20 minutes at 180 before cranking it up to 350. I like a crisp outside with a bit of chew on the inside. Mmmm bacon…

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #13 on: 10 Aug 2023, 10:08 am »
Bacon lovers = the future cardiac patients club.

I wish bacon came in 2ib packages so there'd be enough for two people.

I have a bacon addiction, the doc says I can be cured.

I found some bacon in the back of the freezer that was more than ten years old. It was ancient grease.

mcgsxr

« Reply #14 on: 10 Aug 2023, 12:54 pm »

I am more on the floppy end vs crispy yes.  Mixed with egg yolk (I am an over easy guy) it is a fantastic breakfast moment.  At Christmas I add maple syrup... oh boy is that good, but special occasions only!

qdrone

« Reply #15 on: 10 Aug 2023, 02:43 pm »
    What happened was I wanted to try real Maple Syrup, not the fake cheap stuff. So I bought a bottle for $25 cdn and have been trying it in various things like coffee, waffles, bacon and I think I'm going to try mixing it in hamburger next along with other spices like ginger, paprika, garlic, vegetable seasoning, lemon juice, salt.
  Clogging the kitchen sink has been a pia for me. I figure the toilet should be okay, much bigger pipe. :smoke:
If there is a Trader Joe's or Aldi near by pick up your Maple Syrup there.. it's really good and cheaper. Aldi owns Trader Joes..

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #16 on: 10 Aug 2023, 02:47 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QXt1AhlYqs

"The bacon sandwich is a sacred part of British culture, but how do you like yours – industrial or executive?"

GentleBender

« Reply #17 on: 10 Aug 2023, 07:54 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QXt1AhlYqs

"The bacon sandwich is a sacred part of British culture, but how do you like yours – industrial or executive?"
I’m an industrial type of guy, but I like tomatoes and lettuce on mine. I guess sort of both… :scratch:

jpm

« Reply #18 on: 10 Aug 2023, 10:08 pm »
Aldi owns Trader Joes.

Yes, but not the same Aldi who have stores in the US. It's a little complicated ...

https://www.tastingtable.com/910536/the-connection-between-trader-joes-and-aldi/

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #19 on: 10 Aug 2023, 10:52 pm »
I wish we had the real Aldi (Sud) in America, or Edika, or especially Kaufland.