Why does my DSD DAC sound flat???

wisnon

Re: Why does my DSD DAC sound flat???
« Reply #20 on: 23 Apr 2015, 11:06 am »
From Jussi, on a CA thread last weekend:
"OK, I'm looking into adding external control interface to the desktop version. Eventually it will also allow someone to write a control app too (if someone would like to). "

Is this a potential interface to JRiver? or is it an invit for people to write their own media handling software?

wisnon

« Reply #21 on: 23 Apr 2015, 11:10 am »
I'm following this as I'm a new Amber owner and I have no luck getting native DSD either using combo 384asio 1.03 driver with bitstreaming or DOP using wasapi usb driver 1.0.57 neither in JRiver or Foobar... I just get static. PCM plays fine.. I'm open to any help Thanks

Amber uses a chip for DSD (Sabre?) and may be DoP only? All I know about it is that the USB cable must always be connected for it to work properly, according to posts I read on a thread here.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #22 on: 23 Apr 2015, 12:46 pm »
DoP for sure, but JABS at CA says he can run it "native" in PC, over at CompAudiophile forum...not sure if ASIO or Wasapi (Amanero has PC drivers).

The only way to run raw/direct on a pc is to use custom ASIO drivers, period.  WASAPI or KS is going to have to go DoP.  Luckasz would have had to write custom ASIO drivers for the Amanero board (doubt it).  ALSA on Linux maybe.

pmctexas

« Reply #23 on: 23 Apr 2015, 02:01 pm »
Thanks gang - I was informed this morning mine was built with some sort of Level 4 upgrade and DSD is not supported.. I didn't know and bought it used.. At least, I can stop trying to get DSD to work...

wisnon

« Reply #24 on: 23 Apr 2015, 02:25 pm »
The only way to run raw/direct on a pc is to use custom ASIO drivers, period.  WASAPI or KS is going to have to go DoP.  Luckasz would have had to write custom ASIO drivers for the Amanero board (doubt it).  ALSA on Linux maybe.

I hear ya Ted. I use Mac, so no direct experience myself, but Jabs was adamant. Maybe/apparently he was just wrong?

bmoura

« Reply #25 on: 24 Apr 2015, 04:07 pm »
From Jussi, on a CA thread last weekend:
"OK, I'm looking into adding external control interface to the desktop version. Eventually it will also allow someone to write a control app too (if someone would like to). "

If that allows the filters to be added to JRiver, the way we can today with the Foobar filters, that will be huge! 

bmoura

« Reply #26 on: 24 Apr 2015, 04:08 pm »

The Lampizator DSD DAC actually needs to be run in ASIO mode, without DoP enabled, to use the new DSD 256 playback feature.  So it does work with the Amanero USB card.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2015, 10:14 am by bmoura »

shadowlight

« Reply #27 on: 16 May 2015, 11:39 pm »
I am using Windows 10 based NAA with Amanero ASIO drivers installed with HQPlayer running on another system and playing with out any DoP Settings.  I confirmed that DSD is working by putting the switch for dsd/pcm in pcm setting and I get no sound.

doak

« Reply #28 on: 17 May 2015, 01:37 am »
Using my Lampizator G5 L4, I too am successfully playing DSD64 & DSD128 via JRivers20 on a Windows 8.1 machine with no DoP.  My DAC has the dual-mono DSD module.  Was using DoP for First 6 weeks of ownership because I thought I needed to according to instructions.  The dropouts and stuttering I experienced when playing DSD was quite frustrating.  All that appears 99% gone after dropping DoP.

Still having probs when converting/up sampling to DSD64 or 128 within JRiver. Can't figure out why. I hve done this previously with other DACs.   Suggestions?

shahed

« Reply #29 on: 18 May 2015, 03:08 pm »
Do not use ASIO for playing DSD with Lampizator dac. It works but doesn't even remotely come close to what Lampi is capable on DSD. I'm using HQ Player to upsample PCM to DSD on my dedicated music server. Even though Jussi recommends ASIO but for whatever reason it is not that good with Lampi on DSD. Use WASAPI. The sound is out of this world. I bet it'd solve your problem.

doak

« Reply #30 on: 18 May 2015, 04:14 pm »
Do not use ASIO for playing DSD with Lampizator dac. It works but doesn't even remotely come close to what Lampi is capable on DSD. I'm using HQ Player to upsample PCM to DSD on my dedicated music server. Even though Jussi recommends ASIO but for whatever reason it is not that good with Lampi on DSD. Use WASAPI. The sound is out of this world. I bet it'd solve your problem.

VERY interesting.

However, I do not have, and cannot find a WASAPI driver from Lampizator or Amanero.

Clues please.

shahed

« Reply #31 on: 18 May 2015, 04:30 pm »
Very likely that you are using Microsoft Remote Desktop that is causing you to not show up 'WASAPI' option. Do the following:

When connecting to your remote desktop the 'Remote Desktop Connection' window has an option icon/button towards lower left corner. There should be a tab 'local resources' when you click options and then you have to select 'Remote Audio'. Click settings and check 'Play on Remote Computer'. Save the settings and connect to your remote machine. Now you should see WASAP as an option from your favorite music player.

doak

« Reply #32 on: 18 May 2015, 04:38 pm »
Nope.

Using a Windows 8.1 laptop with connected USB storage playing through JRiver20 into Lampi G5 L4.

shahed

« Reply #33 on: 18 May 2015, 04:46 pm »
Not sure whats going on.  :scratch:  I do not think there's a separate WASAPI driver for Amanero. After installing the amanero driver, I could just select the WASAPI driver on JRiver from Tools -> Options

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #34 on: 18 May 2015, 04:48 pm »
Using my Lampizator G5 L4, I too am successfully playing DSD64 & DSD128 via JRivers20 on a Windows 8.1 machine with no DoP.  My DAC has the dual-mono DSD module.  Was using DoP for First 6 weeks of ownership because I thought I needed to according to instructions.  The dropouts and stuttering I experienced when playing DSD was quite frustrating.  All that appears 99% gone after dropping DoP.

Still having probs when converting/up sampling to DSD64 or 128 within JRiver. Can't figure out why. I hve done this previously with other DACs.   Suggestions?

Doak,
Explain what you mean by "dropping DoP"?  DoP is not an option; your DAC either has to use a custom ASIO driver to get raw direct DSD, or it needs to use DoP to get DSD.  There is no option to choose.  It's driver-centric. 

Assuming Lampis's ASIO is custom (I didn't think it was) you need to choose a different setting for upsampling in JRiver than you do for DoP.  It is in the pulldowns in the DSP output section (it asks you if you have an ASIO-capable or DoP capable DAC driver).

doak

« Reply #35 on: 18 May 2015, 05:01 pm »
Using "Combo384 ASIO 1.03 [ASIO]" driver selected in JRiver dropdown menu.
There is  NO WASAPI driver listed there.

Driver sourced here:  http://amanero.com/drivers.htm

In JRIver under "Device settings" "DSD in DoP format" is UNCHECKED.

Of course, under "Bitstreaming" "DSD" IS checked.

Both DSD64 and DSD128 play AND sound just fine with these settings.

Yes, I made the requisite changes to which you refer for upsampling and still get continuous stuttering.

Thanks

*Scotty*

« Reply #36 on: 18 May 2015, 05:37 pm »
Ted is referring to the DSP STUDIO, Output Format, Output Encoding,drop down menu. This is where you will find DSD in DoP format and DSD in native format options.
These options are not located in the Playback Options area, but in the DSP Studio.
Scotty

doak

« Reply #37 on: 18 May 2015, 05:46 pm »
Ted is referring to the DSP STUDIO, Output Format, Output Encoding,drop down menu. This is where you will find DSD in DoP format and DSD in native format options.
These options are not located in the Playback Options area, but in the DSP Studio.
Scotty

Yep, that's what I am doing.
Still stuttering.

shahed

« Reply #38 on: 18 May 2015, 10:37 pm »
I'm now confused about Amanero ASIO driver and native DSD abilities. Just noticed the following post and the URL for ASIO driver download takes me to a different page:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/216474-usb-i2s-384khz-dsd-converter-118.html#post3351431

http://www.amanero.com/drivers/asio/

doak

« Reply #39 on: 19 May 2015, 12:47 am »

Where is this info about WASAPI being "the way to go with Lampi DSD"??

Your own experience?

Please elucidate.