This Just In: Sony is eating MS & Nintendo's lunch...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
I just read the latest figures for console sales, and Sony is crushing the "competition"; 51 MILLION units sold worldwide vs. 13 million for the 'box and 9 million for the 'cube.  Sheesh, I'd hoped MS could at least make it interesting.

This is one instance where making the better mousetrap doesn't seem to be enough; maybe it's the ill will many folks feel towards Gates/MS, 'cos it sure ain't the machine.  The Xbox easily crushes the PS2 on a technical level.  I rarely touch my PS2 anymore except to play some Diablo.

Still, there'll be a totally-new Resident Evil for the Playstation 2 before long, and I'll have to buy that.  Also I may get the new Tomb Raider game, although Eidos' unwillingness to have it reveiwed prior to release is probably a bad sign.  Think I'll wait for some feedback first.

bob82274

« Reply #1 on: 2 Jul 2003, 12:09 am »
One of the things that has really helped the PS2 is that it can play DVDs right out of the box unlike X-Box or Cube.  But I agree I don't understand how so many more people want a PS2 vs the other two as I much prefer the Box and the Cube.  Only games that I would want for it are GTA III and Vice City but I play them on PC.

Woodsea

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jul 2003, 12:23 am »
I talk to so many people that talk about backwards compatibility that it astonishes me :|   Do you think I have played Ultima IV lately (damn fine game) no.  But so many people base their decisions on what they can play based on their library of games.   Why don't they just play it on the playstation?   Because SONY stands for quality in the American's eyes, and MS stands for Monopoly, hackers and patches.  Xbox is the king until PS3...err Xbox2.  The problem is the PS2 is the Queen, 'she who rules' and has the most 'power' on the board.  Xbox2 will completely dominate even greater than the PS2 over the cube and the box when they all come out.  
Hail to the King!!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 2 Jul 2003, 01:03 am »
I readily admit the superiority of the 'box, but I hated my game cube and eventually sold it.  There weren't any games I liked and the controller totally sucks.

Of course, I drool like a lunatic at the thought of a P3, and I bet it will be godlike.  Naturally, if MS waits a year or two after the P3 comes out then of course the technology will have advanced and their machine will be superior.  I think MS is really f'in brilliant to use as much "off the shelf" parts as they can.  A Pentium 4 and Nvidia G-force are awesome components, why reinvent the wheel with each successive console?

Of course, Sony was F'in brilliant for carrying over the same controller and making games backward compatible with the original PSX.  What the kernel of wisdom has taken so long to sink in is beyond me.  Hopefully MS will be smart enough to copy that feature with the Xbox 2.

BTW, I think Sony has the best controller, but the original larger 'box controller is about dead even with it.  I hate the 'cube controller and the new Xbox S controller; I guess my hands are just too big for them.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 2 Jul 2003, 01:06 am »
Actually, Woodsea, I play more original PSX games on my P2 than P2 games, primarily Risk, Mechwarrior 2, and Diablo.  And I don't play them on a PSX 'cos I had like a billion hours on that thing and it finally crapped out! :lol:   I do have a PSOne, but that's in my bedroom system right now.

I absolutely love that the new machine plays the old games, and that's saved me some money not having to get another PSOne for my main entertainment system.

bob82274

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jul 2003, 02:14 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
BTW, I think Sony has the best controller, but the original larger 'box controller is about dead even with it. I hate the 'cube controller and the new Xbox S controller; I guess my hands are just too big for them.

See I am the exact opposite.  I hate Sony's controller.  Always have and probably always will.  But I love the Wavebird and Controller S.  I don't own an X-box but I do own a Controller S.  I switched after playing Halo for 8 hrs straight and started to get cramps in my right hand.  Now I can go about 12 hrs.  Sad I know :oops:

bubba966

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jul 2003, 04:58 am »
Quote from: bob82274
Quote from: Rob Babcock
BTW, I think Sony has the best controller, but the original larger 'box controller is about dead even with it. I hate the 'cube controller and the new Xbox S controller; I guess my hands are just too big for them.

See I am the exact opposite.  I hate Sony's controller.  Always have and probably always will.  But I love the Wavebird and Controller S.  I don't own an X-box but I do own a Controller S.  I switched after playing Halo for 8 hrs straight and started to get cramps in my right hand.  Now I can go about 12 hrs.  Sad I know :oops:

I'm with bob here all the way. :mrgreen: Though I've not had a cramping problem using my Controller S. But I don't recall if I've ever played Halo or Mechassault more than 12 hours straight... :shake:

The Dual Shock is kinda lame. But the Wavebird & Controller S are sweeeeet. :thumb:

bob82274

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jul 2003, 09:06 pm »
Quote from: bubba966
I'm with bob here all the way. :mrgreen: Though I've not had a cramping problem using my Controller S. But I don't recall if I've ever played Halo or Mechassault more than 12 hours straight... :shake:

Ok so I have only played Halo that long once... 15 hrs straight I seem to remember. Won't be doing that again :lol: