WTA GT with Denon DL-103GL

Antinchip

WTA GT with Denon DL-103GL
« on: 24 Apr 2018, 10:07 am »
Hello from the UK.

I have been using a Linn LP12 for many years but thought I would explore other vinyl replay options to see if the grass might be greener.

I have recently bought a pre-loved Well Tempered Amadeus GT. I used this initially with a Shure V15iii and Jico SAS as used in the LP12 with Infinity Black Widow tonearm and was very pleased with the results, WTA the winner I think.

I have now added a pre-loved Denon DL 103GL refurbished with a new cantilever, shibata diamond, additional damping and bronze shim/spacer to add mass. This used together with a Harmonious Audio MPA-1a Mk2 battery powered head amp feeding a Croft RIAA-R valve phono stage.

Set up was interesting as I needed to add bolts to the counterweight. I have now added an XTC heavy counterweight to ensure correct VTF and tracking. All sounding sublime but I suspect I might need to tweak a little more to really dial it all in. I am running VTF at 2.2g for now but will try different settings in the 2.0g to 2.5g range.

I would be interested to know if any other members have experience of this combination. Many thanks.

Cheers

Anthony

mick wolfe

Re: WTA GT with Denon DL-103GL
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2018, 04:55 pm »
I have an Amadeus (the original) as well.  Have used stock Denon 103's (and R's), Zu 103's, Zu 103R's and an ESCC re-built 103R with aluminum body. The XTC "heavy" counterweight is used with the Zu's and ESCC. SUT is the "entry level" A23. FWIW, Ive gotten nothing but superb results from any of these combinations.

Antinchip

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2018, 11:20 am »
Mick,

Thank you for your reply. Glad to hear that you have had good experiences with the WTA and Denon 103.

My WTA GT has the black golf ball and came with both GT and GTA manuals so might be an "inbetweener". I purchased the 103GL just recently via classifieds on the UK Pinkfish forum (might be worth a look if you don't know it). The seller bought it "refurbished" from an Ebay seller in Japan (sahkha) who I contacted yesterday for advice on best VTF. He recommended 1.8g and I have been using it at 2.2g. Now adjusted and sounding very good indeed.

I would be interested to know what sort of level you use for the golf ball in the damping fluid. I have it at no more than 1/3 depth and wonder if I might need a touch more damping.

Enjoy the music.

Cheers

mick wolfe

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2018, 03:28 pm »
I think 1/3 depth is somewhat the gold standard. It has been for me anyway. Wouldn't go any higher. When I experimented with near 1/2 depth, VTF was near impossible to set among other issues. So go with 1/3 or perhaps slightly lower. I've tracked all of the 103's at roughly the recommended 2.5g. ESCC recommended 2g, but I found 2.4g to be more to my liking. The Zu's are quite happy in the 2.5g-2.6g range. That said, not at all familar with the version of the 103 you have.

Antinchip

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2018, 04:14 pm »
Mick,

That is interesting, thank you. I will probably leave things as they are for now. Details of the DL 103GL follow;

1990 : DL 103 GL (Gold Limited) – special black housing, output 0.25mV, 40ohms, spherical stylus, 5cu, VTF 2.5 +/- 0.3grams, coils 4N High Purity Gold Wire 99.99%, ltd. production of 2000 – 50000 Yen.

Mine has been refurbished as described in my original post. Clearly the shibata diamond needs less VTF.

All the best.

wsill

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jul 2019, 09:41 pm »
I have a 103R works great with my Amadeus. Its more musically natural sounding than my Dynavector XX-2 and 20x2l

blefebvre

« Reply #6 on: 24 Aug 2019, 12:38 pm »
This is interesting. I’d gone up the Denon chain - 103, 301mkii and 304, the latter two on my WT table. The 304 just doesn’t seem to work - I’ve fiddled with it constantly but can’t get it to sing as well as the 301mkii did. Now I keep hearing how well the aluminum–shell 103 sounds on WT arms. Right now going back and forth between the Zu 103, the Grado Statement Sonata or possibley a Soundsmith MI cart.

mick wolfe

« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2019, 04:07 pm »
I have a 103R works great with my Amadeus. Its more musically natural sounding than my Dynavector XX-2 and 20x2l

I've never compared  my 103 or 103R's to a Dynavector, but like you say, they all perform beautifully with the Amadeus arm. FWIW, all mine have aluminum bodies as well.