Help me pick some budget (<$800) floorstanders

sunnydaze

Re: Help me pick some budget (<$800) floorstanders
« Reply #20 on: 14 Oct 2020, 03:54 pm »
"Thanks for the suggestions, but again, I'm looking to narrow my list, not add to it.  :)"

Sorry, I mis-read your original post.  Why limit your search to just your shortlist?  You are excluding some excellent candidates that will do just as well, some even better.

I have heard the Tekton Lores.  IMO, all the speakers I mentioned sound (and look!) better.  The Dirty Weekends absolutely crush them.  And at about $500 for used VA Bachs and Conquests, those are well below your budget.

Shop wisely and $800 in the used market will buy you a much better speaker than that same expenditure on a new speaker.

AvsFan

« Reply #21 on: 14 Oct 2020, 06:44 pm »
"Thanks for the suggestions, but again, I'm looking to narrow my list, not add to it.  :)"

Sorry, I mis-read your original post.  Why limit your search to just your shortlist?  You are excluding some excellent candidates that will do just as well, some even better.

I have heard the Tekton Lores.  IMO, all the speakers I mentioned sound (and look!) better.  The Dirty Weekends absolutely crush them.  And at about $500 for used VA Bachs and Conquests, those are well below your budget.

Shop wisely and $800 in the used market will buy you a much better speaker than that same expenditure on a new speaker.

I couldn't agree more! I just cancelled my ZU Soul Supreme order and went with the Dirty Weekends with the Jupiter Copper Cap upgrade in a Ferrari Red High Gloss. Hope to have them in about 1.5 months.
I am VERY familiar with Dirty Weekends as this is now my 3rd pair. I LOVE these speakers1 I have also owned many Tekton's as well. The Dirty Weekends are better, IMO. Up your spending to $1000 and buy a pair of DW's next time they go on sale. You won't regret it. 

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #22 on: 14 Oct 2020, 11:18 pm »
I couldn't agree more! I just cancelled my ZU Soul Supreme order and went with the Dirty Weekends with the Jupiter Copper Cap upgrade in a Ferrari Red High Gloss. Hope to have them in about 1.5 months.
I am VERY familiar with Dirty Weekends as this is now my 3rd pair. I LOVE these speakers1 I have also owned many Tekton's as well. The Dirty Weekends are better, IMO. Up your spending to $1000 and buy a pair of DW's next time they go on sale. You won't regret it.

Hmm...I still think the Omen DWs are too big for my space though. Maybe I'll have to mock up a cardboard replica and see how it fits.

sunnydaze

« Reply #23 on: 14 Oct 2020, 11:59 pm »
Hmm...I still think the Omen DWs are too big for my space though. Maybe I'll have to mock up a cardboard replica and see how it fits.

I'm confused.    :scratch:

Unless I'm mistaken, weren't you on the verge of pulling trigger on Tekton Lores?   The Lore footprint is actually slightly larger:  12 x 13 vs 12 x 12.   Additionally, the DW is 3 inches shorter and 6 lbs lighter.  In every category the DW is smaller.

So if sizewise the Lores are OK, why do you have a problem with the DW?

sunnydaze

« Reply #24 on: 15 Oct 2020, 12:17 am »
Sorry...just realized you refer to the Lore Reference, which are 10 x 12 footprint.

Is 2 inches really a deal killer??

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #25 on: 15 Oct 2020, 01:48 pm »
I have owned the Vandersteen 1C as well as the 1Ci and preferred the earlier version by a bit. The 1C had a smoother sound to my ear while the 1Ci could sound harsh.

Also owned the Mlore. One the quickest in-and-out speakers I've owned. Glad I bought them used.

I know you're not looking to add to your list, but the recommendation by Sunnydaze for the Vienna Acoustic Bachs is a winner. Add them to your list and thank us later.

sunnydaze

« Reply #26 on: 15 Oct 2020, 02:51 pm »
Since we are expanding the list.......... :lol:

Look at the older and smallish towers by Meadowlark:  the Kestrel and Shearwater models.
Because so old and discontinued they are within budget and HUGE value.  Pennies on the dollar.

For example:

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649655190-meadowlark-shearwater-hot-rod/

Search on hifishark.com for other examples.

Simple 2-ways that are musical, easy to drive, and loved by many.  Given their age, not seen very often on used markets anymore.

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #27 on: 16 Oct 2020, 12:21 am »
Sorry...just realized you refer to the Lore Reference, which are 10 x 12 footprint.

Is 2 inches really a deal killer??
Yeah it is unfortunately. My little Sonys are really the ideal size for our space and decor, at 7"x7" with a 9"x10" base. So Lore reference is already really bigger than I'd prefer.

Also, the space I have for the left speaker is about 14" wide, and there's a limestone fireplace ledge on one side that's sure to scratch the speakers at some point, since I pull the speakers out and push them back in every time I listen.

Not to mention, from what I've read the price of the Zo Omen DWs doesn't include shipping does it? Plus the cool finishes and cap upgrade that I would have to get (lest my audiophile FOMO drive me crazy), and then you're realistically talking about $1300-1500+ for the Zus, which is nearly double my budget.

I'm not saying they're not a better speaker than the Lore Reference; I've never heard either. But it's just too big for my space and to big for my budget...at least for now.

WGH

« Reply #28 on: 16 Oct 2020, 04:15 am »

So, with all that said I need some great-sounding speakers that meet all these criteria:
1.   Small floor standers.
2.   Easy to place and work well in less-than-ideal spaces
3.   Relatively high efficiency
4.   Has the potential to sound great with as little as 25wpc
5.   Available for about $800 or less
6.   Sound good at low volumes
7.   Non-fatiguing; easy to listen to for hours.
8.   Preferably front-ported, since I’ll have to have the speakers (rear baffle) within 12-18 inches of the front wall (depending on the depth of the speaker).

The GR Research A/V-3 checks all your boxes and would be a lot better sounding than any new $800 speaker you can buy.

http://gr-research.com/av-3.aspx

1 inch GR-T3 soft dome tweeter
Two M-130-16, 5.25 inch composite paper woofer with polymer chassis, and vented Kapton voice coil
Frequency response is within +/- 1.5db -3db down point is 40Hz
Sensitivity is 91db (1watt/1m)
Nominal power range 5-200 watts RMS
Impedance 6/8 ohms.
Cabinet size 41.875" high (plus base thickness), 8" wide, and 11.5" deep.
$329.00 per pair

The catch is the A/V-3 is a kit. I would think you could find a woodworker to make the MDF boxes for $400 but at that price you would have to do the finishing. No grills either if that is important.

sunnydaze

« Reply #29 on: 16 Oct 2020, 01:42 pm »
Your size, cosmetics, SQ and budget requirements combined are so limiting that your list of possible speaker candidates is gonna be quite small.  Throw in all your other requirements, it is damn near impossible.  You need to make some compromises.  The size part is especially difficult.   I notice many recommendations in this thread don't come close.

A slim, quality looking and great sounding tower at $800 is gonna be very hard to find.  I would never recommend what I have not owned or at least heard.  The Vienna Acoustic Bach footprint is 7.5 x 10, has furniture grade cabinets, and sounds great.  There are several used pair of Bach Grand available right now for below your budget. 

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=vienna+acoustics+bach

The Grand is a better and newer version of the orig Bach which I paid $500 for over 10 yrs ago (used).  I believe the Grand retailed for $2000.  That Grand Symphony pair in Conn retailed for $2500.

I'm not pushing it, just saying it's the only speaker I have direct experience with that is at least somewhat "high-end" and meets some of your requirements. There may be some mid-fi ones that meet your needs,  but I don't play in that market and have no knowledge.  And the audiophile snob in me says they will not sound as good as the ones I have mentioned.   Not always, but you usually get what you pay for. 
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2020, 03:45 pm by sunnydaze »

sunnydaze

« Reply #30 on: 16 Oct 2020, 02:52 pm »
Have a look at Elac from Andrew Jones.  Highly reviewed speakers at mid-fi prices, if you focus on the bottom of the range.  Maybe the entry level Debut 2.0 floorstanders?  They are within budget, small 7 x 9 footprint, and front ported.  Can't comment if they meet your other requirements.

https://www.elac.com/category/floorstanding-speakers/

mcgsxr

« Reply #31 on: 16 Oct 2020, 07:33 pm »
OP has been clear he doesn't want additional ideas.  He wants us to help him select from the list originally posted.

I haven't heard any of those, nor your room so I know I cannot help.

Good luck!

WGH

« Reply #32 on: 16 Oct 2020, 10:58 pm »
As Mick Jagger once said " You can't always get the advice you want, You get the advice you need". Or something like that, I'm getting old.

But keeping in the spirit (if not content) of the OP's wishes I checked out the St Louis Brentwood Best Buy and they have a couple of brands mentioned, if they have a showroom at least you can listen:

ELAC - Debut 2.0 Dual 6-1/2" 3-Way Floorstanding Speaker - Black $369.98 each - 7.64"w x 10.55d, ready to pickup in 1 hour (open to 8pm) Try out at home. Return them if you don't like them.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/elac-debut-2-0-dual-6-1-2-3-way-floorstanding-speaker-each-black/6198600.p?skuId=6198600

ELAC - Debut 2.0 5-1/4" Floorstanding Speaker - Black $279.98 each - 7"w x 9.21"d - ready for pickup in 7 days

Best Buy Extended Holiday Return Period
For your holiday purchases between Oct 13 and Jan 2, returns and exchanges will be accepted through Jan 16.

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #33 on: 16 Oct 2020, 11:02 pm »
EDIT: [angry embarrassing rant removed]

The GR Research A/V-3 checks all your boxes and would be a lot better sounding than any new $800 speaker you can buy.

http://gr-research.com/av-3.aspx

[img]removed

1 inch GR-T3 soft dome tweeter
Two M-130-16, 5.25 inch composite paper woofer with polymer chassis, and vented Kapton voice coil
Frequency response is within +/- 1.5db -3db down point is 40Hz
Sensitivity is 91db (1watt/1m)
Nominal power range 5-200 watts RMS
Impedance 6/8 ohms.
Cabinet size 41.875" high (plus base thickness), 8" wide, and 11.5" deep.
$329.00 per pair

The catch is the A/V-3 is a kit. I would think you could find a woodworker to make the MDF boxes for $400 but at that price you would have to do the finishing. No grills either if that is important.
Yeeeahhh. Yes I know GR Research, I see lots of positive things about them around here, and I even bought & installed a GR upgrade kit for my old Insignia NS-B2111s. Sounds excellent. I’d be listening to those instead of the Sonys if the Insignias weren’t standmounts.  I definitely plan to build a GR Research kit at some point. A/V-3, X-MTM, or maybe even an N3 (if I can still get the Neo3 tweeters and deep back cups by the time I get around to it). But I know myself, and I do not move fast on DIY projects.
I have plenty of experience with DIY audio electronics, but none with building speakers. Speakers are of course very different from electronics. I don't have any real experience woodworking, nor the tools. My brother-in-law does though, and he’s only about 12 minutes from my house. But unfortunately there's this damn pandemic right now, his daughters are back in school, and as such I don't feel comfortable spending much time in close quarters with him until this pandemic is over.

Maybe I should just hold out a little longer with the Sonys and gather the materials for a GR research kit. Send the cabinet plans to my BIL, talk about finishes, maybe build the crossovers, etc. And start building cabinets when the pandemic is over...but who know how many more months (or years?!) that's going to be?

Ugh. Maybe I’ll just stick with what I have for now.
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2020, 02:56 pm by pinkfloyd4ever »

sunnydaze

« Reply #34 on: 17 Oct 2020, 12:22 am »
I think someone needs a chill pill.   :roll:

"You have repeatedly told me you don't like A, B, C, D, or E"

I haven't done that at all.  I've barely mentioned those on your list.  I've tried to be mindful of most of your needs, and with good intent, have simply provided alternatives that I know sound great....from actual ownership.  And TBH, I'm not sure most on your list will.

Throwing darts??   don't even know what you mean by that.

At least try to be accurate in your criticisms.  Your own shortlist violates your stated requirements:

*  Q Acoustics has a rear port.  It also has "a big honkin 12 x 12" footprint....to use your words.  Apart from the Zu DW, no speaker I mentioned does.  And the DW is only about 1 inch larger than the Tekton.

*  Vandy is even bigger.  And it is much harder to drive than any of my mentions.

* the KEF is harder to drive than anything I mentioned.

The moral of the story:  you can't have everything.  Your own shortlist falls short.  And you are limiting yourself with it.  So those with good intentions.....who are only trying to help you achieve good SQ .....while honoring MOST of your parameters.... should not be criticized.

I know you prefer front port.  But you did say you'd be pulling spkrs forward to listen.  Makes port location less critical.  Besides, front ports are not so common and finding one plus fulfilling ALL your needs is near impossible.  Always compromises.  Especially in the 800 range.  It's fact, no need to be insulted.

Beyond me why you find helpful input such an intrusion.  If it is not on point or unwelcome, maybe just realize it comes from a good place and move on.  There's tons of experience on here that I sense you could learn from.  That's OK, everyone has a beginning.

Plus, many folks read these threads.  Check the view count up top.  If it wanders a bit off point but still provides useful info, IMO that is fine.  No harm done.  Other folks that are trying to learn or with the same question as you may benefit from it.

Your shortlist comes no closer to meeting your requirements than any that I have mentioned.  And while I have not heard all on your list, I can state with a fair bit of confidence (apart from maybe the Triton 7) that they will likely sound inferior.  Because a free lunch in this game is very rare and price typically is an indication of performance.  Especially when operating in the low end of hifi.  I've been in this game almost 30 yrs and have heard tons of speakers.

"But I do want to get the best sound possible for my musical tastes and my room, within my budget and list of requirements."

Apparently you don't.  Because if you did you'd be paying more attention to some of the recs made, and not attacking those that make them.

Good luck in your search.  I'll move along now.

PS: sorry I missed your earlier reference to Elac.  Easy to do in these threads.  No need to get your panties in a twist.

sunnydaze

« Reply #35 on: 17 Oct 2020, 01:07 am »
PS:  Since you can't have it all, I endeavored in my recs to capture what I thought you would consider to be the key parameters:

* small floorstander
* footprint
* good looks  (your room is nice, assumed this is important)
* budget
* power requirements - easy to drive
* great non-fatiguing SQ, with an emphasis on musicality 
(a main criteria for me personally when speaker shopping)

and as I mentioned, port location less critical when pulling spkrs forward to listen.

If you dig into my mentions you will see they all hit these key elements.  I did put some thought into it so it's unfair, and inaccurate, to say I have ignored your requirements. (With the possible exception of Elac which I've never heard, only mentioned based on reputation and price point)

Just sayin.  Carry on.    :thumb:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #36 on: 17 Oct 2020, 01:02 pm »
Just a reminder from your favorite facilitator that you are allowed to scroll on by and not comment on any particular post or thread.  I might also suggest that asking for recommendations on audio forums will inevitably lead to more confusion than clarity and the job of the OP is to seperate the wheat from the chaff.  Dictating what you'll receive when asking a question will limit the value of the answer.

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
« Reply #37 on: 17 Oct 2020, 01:56 pm »
On a separate note, that rug really ties the room together!!  :lol:

sunnydaze

« Reply #38 on: 17 Oct 2020, 02:10 pm »
...... the job of the OP is to seperate the wheat from the chaff.  Dictating what you'll receive when asking a question will limit the value of the answer.

Bingo!  Thank You!    :thumb:

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #39 on: 17 Oct 2020, 02:37 pm »
Just wanted to apologize to Sunnydaze and anyone else I may have offended with that nasty rant. I had a really crappy day yesterday, and logged on here at the wrong time, in a very foul mood. My apologies.