Response Audio Bella SP/AV-1 Speaker

audiojerry

« on: 11 Dec 2005, 04:06 pm »
Some of you may be wondering – Audiojerry is reviewing another component? Before you think I'm some kind of nut, I can explain ....................................... ...........Ok, maybe I can't.  :oops:
I hope that's not what you are thinking. Then again, if you were, you probably wouldn't be reading this.  :)

So if you are still here, it means you might be interested in hearing about the Bella, a highly modified SP Technology Essence, which got big kudos from me in a recent review (yes, another review). So, in essence, the Bella is an Essence.   :D

Those of you unfamiliar with Response Audio and Bill Baker, its owner, I highly recommend you visit his website. It's a great site, nicely laid out and extremely informative with nice photos.
“Dedicated to 2-Channel Tube Audio” “Specializing in Tube Amp Modification” “It's all about the Music” “Custom High-End Audio Since 1995”. Those first few statements taken from his website nicely sum up in a nutshell what Response Audio is about. If he's managed to stay in business since 1995 specializing in modifications, then he must be doing a pretty good job of it.

Obviously, he has expanded his modification expertise to speakers, which is why I'm here writing another review. Bill was aware that I had recently reviewed the SP Tech Essence, and he thought it might be a good idea to have someone who had experience with the Essence evaluate the Bella, too. Bill wanted a neutral party (me) to see how his work measured up. I had never talked with Bill previously, although I have been aware of Response Audio by reading about it on AudioCircle, and I also may have responded to a few of his posts on various topics on AC.  

The Essence has undergone a rather extensive replacing and upgrading of parts, according to Bill. It's all very eloquently explained here, http://www.responseaudio.com/bellaSPAV1main.htm.
and here,  http://www.responseaudio.com/SpeakerDesign.htm.
But changing parts alone isn't enough. It takes lots of measuring, listening, re-measuring and more listening to get it right.  

Why bother?
And is it worth it?
Two good questions.

Why bother? I thought the Essence was an impressive speaker, and quite adept at home theater in addition to 2 channel. It was exceptional and unique in the way it projected into the room and created a larger than life soundstage. You can read all about my favorable impressions if you want in the Critic's Circle: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=23318.
But I did explain there was a caveat. “The Essence wasn't built as a cost-no-object reference speaker, and this was most evident to me in the manifestation of some cabinet resonance. There was a fair amount of ringing resonance in what appeared to be the upper midrange / lower treble region.” I also said that “you may be able go from a really good loudspeaker to an exceptional loudspeaker. ”. Well, apparently Bill felt the same, and that's what he sought to accomplish.

Was it worth it? I received Bill's latest version, which represents the culmination of all his extensive mod work. Luckily, I still have the Essence on hand, which Bill was glad to learn.. (I think Bob of SP Tech is getting senile or something, since he must have forgotten that I still have them. :lol: ) This made it possible to perform direct side-by-side comparisons between the Bella and the Essence. When I got the Bellas, they were not fully burned in, so I put them under the 24/7 burn-in process playing music and burn-in signals. At the time I am writing this, the Bellas have been burned in for only about 48 hours. The change I heard between 24 hours of burn-in on Thursday and 48 hours on Friday was very apparent, so I'm reasoning that more change will logically follow with additional burn-in. Every speaker I've owned has gotten steadily better through 200 hours and beyond.

I believe Bill currently has an introductory price of $2100 for the standard cabinet, which as the SP Tech Essence is $995, I believe. Response Audio is currently offering an additional 10% off through December 31st.  Bill said this to me, “As you know, my goal with these speakers was to produce a system that involves the listener in the music while still maintaining the high qualities everyone looks for in a speaker of this price point.”

At the 48 hour mark, I believe the Bella's have already accomplished his goal. They are sounding mighty good.  Because I believe the Bellas haven't reached their full potential, that's about all I'm going say right now. The Bella mods have taken the Essence from a  “really good loudspeaker to an exceptional loudspeaker.”

More to come later.

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2005, 05:04 pm »
Jerry,

I think Bob of SP Tech is getting senile or something, since he must have forgotten that I still have them.

Although I am probably going senile, I haven't forgotten - just been busy.  I figured this would give you the opportunity to do the comparison as I knew Bill was sending you the Bellas.  Never fear, you won't be "stuck" with them much longer.  I will need them back as they're going to CES.  You can have fun for a couple more days though. :wink:

Enjoy,
-Bob

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2005, 05:05 pm »
Hey there audiojerry. Way to keep'em (us) hanging. While we await your full findings, I just wanted to elaborate on a few aspects.

Obviously, he has expanded his modification expertise to speakers,

Response Audio actually started out in 1995 custom designing and building speakers. This went very well for a few years until I got inside and started playing with my first modifications on a tube amp. Bringing forth the Musica bella speakers was simply going back to my roots.

Having spoken with and learning a lot of "tricks of the trade" from many highly regarded speaker designers, I felt I could take all this information and experience into the enhancement of an already proven design.... i.e. the WAVEGUIDE.

The Essence has undergone a rather extensive replacing and upgrading of parts, according to Bill.

In a nutshell, rather than being a simple upgrade, we have decided to incoperate some advancements into the circuitry, crossover and internal cabinet arrangement  that cannot be found in the SP Essence loudspeaker. There are a few circuits found in the Bella that are unique to the design.

At the 48 hour mark, I believe the Bella's have already accomplished his goal. They are sounding mighty good. Because I believe the Bellas haven't reached their full potential, that's about all I'm going say right now.

Again, way to keep us hanging. I like the idea of posting the "introduction to the full review". Till then. Happy Holiday to you and anyone who might be reading this thread.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2005, 06:15 pm »
Jerry,

Looking forward to reading your full review.  If you can hook your ARC VT200 on 8 or 16 ohm tabs just to see how big amp drive them it will be a bonus.  Better yet, insist on Bill sending you a pair of 'Canes for the Bella SP/AV1 audition.  :wink:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2005, 06:28 pm »
Looking forward to reading your full review. If you can hook your ARC VT200 on 8 or 16 ohm tabs just to see how big amp drive them it will be a bonus.

They would LOVE that kind of power!!

Better yet, insist on Bill sending you a pair of 'Canes for the Bella SP/AV1 audition.
:lol:  :lol:  If I only had a pair of these for myself. I have not yet had the time to build a pair for myself but I almost always have a pair in a system burning burning in. I have 5 pair in now for EXtreme mods and two pair for Signature plus mods. One pair of each are done and burning in. The Bellas love these amps.

audiojerry

« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2005, 10:16 pm »
Better yet, insist on Bill sending you a pair of 'Canes for the Bella SP/AV1 audition.

Why didn't I think of that - doh!