Hello and Bryston question

BrystonNewb

Hello and Bryston question
« on: 31 Jan 2018, 09:45 pm »
Hello All:

I'm new to Audio Circle and have a question about my Bryston 2B LP amp and 0.5B pre-amp (non pro) which until today had been carefully stored for the last couple of years.  The amp was just inside the warranty when I bought it and was shipped by the seller to Bryston for a check up, then delivered to me as bench testing ok.

I hooked up the pair today and have a noticeable hum in both speakers.  I've tried moving cables and interconnects around, I've plugged the amp directly into the wall with the pre on a good quality power bar, but still have the hum.

Any suggestions as to a cause and possible solutions?  Any chance the amp power supply needs replacing?  I was hoping to get another 20 years out it, lol!

Cheers,
BrystonNewb

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hello and Bryston question
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2018, 10:21 pm »
welcome aboard BrystonNewb :thumb:

Ron D

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2018, 10:42 pm »
Welcome!

Post the same question on the Bryston board and I am sure you will get quick feedback

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2018, 11:39 pm »
Welcome!  As noted above, posting on the Bryston board will help.  Is there a cable box in the system?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2018, 10:54 am »
Hi NewB - welcome!

If you plug the amplifier in and turn it on with just the speakers connected (no inputs to the amplifier) does it hum?

james

rob80b

« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2018, 02:53 pm »
As James mentioned is there hum with just the 2B connected to the speakers to rule out grounding issues between the pre-amp and components.
Are the .5 and 2B stacked and what components are you using...turntable?

Also you’ve designated the .5 as non pro, are we to assume the 2BLP is the pro version with balanced XLR inputs.

If so are you using a XLR to RCA adapter, which may cause possible grounding issues.

These are the worst culprits...

Having had multiple 2BLP reiterations on hand since 1985 I’ve had the most recent success by forgoing an adapter and settled on an actual RCA to XLR wired cables, one up to 50'.
Monoprice offers very affordable lengths so if all else fails you may want to give them a try.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4777&AID=11051853&PID=5567334&ref=cj&utm_source=cj&utm_medium=11051853&utm_term=Skimlinks-2617611

BrystonNewb

« Reply #6 on: 1 Feb 2018, 02:58 pm »
Wow, thanks for the feedback so far - a very friendly and helpful forum.

To reply to some of your questions - no cable box on system; amp and pre-amp are both non-pro.

James, will try your suggestion tonight after work.

Thanks to all!

rob80b

« Reply #7 on: 1 Feb 2018, 04:43 pm »
Does the ground lift, toggle switch on the left, help at all?

BrystonNewb

« Reply #8 on: 2 Feb 2018, 06:43 pm »
Howdy:

Ground lift either position doesn't seem to help, and with amplifier and just the speakers connected (no inputs to the amplifier) I still hear speakers hum.  Amp and pre-amp are stacked and I'm just using an MP3 player for now.  I will separate the units and see if that helps.

rob80b

« Reply #9 on: 5 Feb 2018, 03:18 pm »
Hello All:

.........  The amp was just inside the warranty when I bought it and was shipped by the seller to Bryston for a check up, then delivered to me as bench testing ok.

Cheers,
BrystonNewb

I'd contact Mike at Bryston to see what they can do, I'm sure they'll take care of you...... may or may not be, but sounds like an internal issue which could originate from many things...an aging component., oxidized connections...etc, etc.