The Wii U (what a stupid name)

Rclark

The Wii U (what a stupid name)
« on: 5 Jun 2012, 11:58 pm »
 will be amazing!

Watch this demo of E3 footage of the controller in use during an upcoming zombie game. Absolutely incredible, as immersive a gaming experience as there ever has been. Put down the mouse.

If the horsepower is right in this console it might be the best one ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEoR9Qv8akI&feature=related

even non gamers have to be slightly impressed by that.

cujobob

Re: The Wii U (what a stupid name)
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2012, 12:04 am »
That was pretty cool! I worry how much it will be incorporated into most games and with that awkward controller ports that come out for every system might not be so great. I loved that the Wii had two controllers, it made playing many games quite enjoyable...my favorite Madden ever was from the Wii right after I got the system. If the graphics were equal to other systems, I'd have played every sports game like that. This seems like a great way to have a portable + system interaction instead of just making it the basic controller...something like PS3/PS4 could do with the Vita.

Rclark

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2012, 01:50 am »
Here's the full conference. What a device.

http://e3.nintendo.com/presentation/#/e3-presentation

cujobob

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2012, 02:15 am »
Watched a chunk of it..the system can only support two devices, which sucks because Nintendo was the kid-friendly party system. These controllers seem pretty high end...was there a price mentioned for them? I wonder if an app could be developed to control one's music collection. I'll have to look into what hardware is being used.

Rclark

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jun 2012, 02:23 am »
I linked to the actual Nintendo stream. Much higher res and doesn't screw up 25 mins in. Don't know much else yet.

They showed a lot of family friendly stuff, but also surprises like Mass Effect 3, Aliens: Colonial Marines, and others.

Rclark

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2012, 03:01 am »

Processors:
 CPU: IBM Power Architecture processor based on the POWER7 architecture also used by the Watson supercomputer.[3][69]
 GPU: AMD Radeon HD based GPU[5]

Storage:
 Internal flash memory, expandable via SD memory cards and USB hard disk drives[70]
 Slot-loading optical disc drive compatible with 12 cm "proprietary high-density optical discs" (25GB per layer)[71][72] and 12 cm Wii optical discs

Ports and peripheral capabilities:
 SD memory card slot (supports SDHC cards)
 USB 2.0 ports (2 at front of console, 2 at rear)
 Sensor Bar power port
 "AV Multi Out" port
 HDMI 1.4 out port[58]

Wii U GamePad:
 Built-in 3-axis accelerometer and 3-axis gyroscope
 Speakers and Microphone
 Front-facing camera
 IR Sensor strip
 6.2 inch (15.7 cm) 16:9 resistive touchscreen
 Two analog sticks and one D-pad
 Stylus
 Select, Start, Home and Power buttons
 A/B/X/Y face buttons, L/R bumper buttons and ZL/ZR trigger buttons
 Rumble
 Controller sync button
 Bluetooth
 NFC[61]

Note: The Wii U is also compatible with the Wii Remote, Wii Nunchuck, Wii Classic Controller, and the Wii Balance Board.[73] It has been announced through Nintendo Network that the Wii Remote will still be used not only for Wii games, but as a new way to combine it with the experience brought by the tablet controller.

Video:
 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 576i (PAL Only), 480p, 480i, standard 4:3 and 16:9 anamorphic widescreen
 "AV Multi Out" port supporting composite video, YPBPR component video, S-Video (NTSC consoles only), RGB SCART (PAL consoles only) and D-Terminal (Japan only)
 HDMI 1.4 out port supporting stereoscopic 3D images.[58]

Audio
 "AV Multi Out" port. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_u#Technical_specifications

The NintendoLand footage hinted at a machine clearly more powerful than the PS3. There was a fine detail to everything regardless of distance, and lots going on without any apparent strain. Should be a good machine.

Of course, PS4 will be much more powerful but this comes out this year.

cujobob

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jun 2012, 03:17 am »
Thanks for the info...some nice stuff, I read somewhere in a blog that the system will have similar power to the current PS3 or XBOX 360 (give and take in diff areas). I guess that's what game designers were saying. The current systems are quite capable so I don't think that's necessarily as big of a deal as it was when the Wii came out. Would like to see DVD/Bluray...being able to double these systems as DVD players and such makes it easier to justify purchasing and simpler to integrate  :lol:

Rclark

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jun 2012, 03:26 am »

I'm almost done watching the good stuff from it. They have not given performance numbers yet but said they will soon. But from the very little shown so far of some exclusive titles, the graphics should be excellent.