Wired alternative to the Belkin CableFree?

brj

Wired alternative to the Belkin CableFree?
« on: 11 Aug 2006, 05:21 pm »
Hi Steve.

I know that you have been looking forward to the Belkin CableFree wireless USB extender as a means of enabling remote, computer-as-source audio, but that product seems to be rather slow in coming.  In addition, I've read a few articles that suggest that the underlying Freescale technology may not easily penetrate walls lined with pipes, wires, etc..

I like the concept of a USB DAC powered by a remotely located computer, however, so I was looking around for wired USB extenders and ran across the Icron USB Rover series of products.  These provide a local and remote unit that can be connected with Cat5 Ethernet cable.  (One model also allows the use of fibre-optic multimode fiber.)  Run lengths for the Cat5 versions can be up to 50m/164 ft.  The single port USB Rover 1650 model can be found for $110 online, which is less than the expected CableFree price.

Do you have any reason to believe that something like this wouldn't work at least as well as the Belkin CableFree?  (One possible issue might involve the product versions that rely only on the power from the source, rather than a separate power supply.)

Thanks for any comments!

texendo

Re: Wired alternative to the Belkin CableFree?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2006, 05:40 pm »
the usb cables from opticis.com are supposed to be the cat's meow, especially when run on battery power...

barkerpj

• PC -> Berkeley USB -> Berkeley DAC
« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2006, 08:15 pm »
Be careful - the icron is only USB 1.1 The new Belkin Cablefree is USB 2

brj

« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2006, 08:23 pm »
True, although I believe that will only matter if you want to upsample.

Icron does offer USB2.0 devices (Ranger series), but they are several times the price.

audioengr

« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2006, 09:09 pm »
Hi Steve.

I know that you have been looking forward to the Belkin CableFree wireless USB extender as a means of enabling remote, computer-as-source audio, but that product seems to be rather slow in coming.  In addition, I've read a few articles that suggest that the underlying Freescale technology may not easily penetrate walls lined with pipes, wires, etc..

I like the concept of a USB DAC powered by a remotely located computer, however, so I was looking around for wired USB extenders and ran across the Icron USB Rover series of products.  These provide a local and remote unit that can be connected with Cat5 Ethernet cable.  (One model also allows the use of fibre-optic multimode fiber.)  Run lengths for the Cat5 versions can be up to 50m/164 ft.  The single port USB Rover 1650 model can be found for $110 online, which is less than the expected CableFree price.

Do you have any reason to believe that something like this wouldn't work at least as well as the Belkin CableFree?  (One possible issue might involve the product versions that rely only on the power from the source, rather than a separate power supply.)

Thanks for any comments!

I would avoid anything that is not USB 2.0.  It takes a lot of horsepower to do computer audio currently, even with USB 2.0

The Ranger 140 sounds like the ticket, but even things that are called USB 2.0 may not be "high-performance USB".  The devil is in the details.  If you buy one, make sure you can return it for a full refund if it does not work well in this application.

I was just listening to my new Off-Ramp Wi-Fi.  Incredible sound, and only 16/44.1.  Once the data is decoupled completely from the computer on the network and reclocked in the Wi-Fi, the result is amazing.  Cannot wait to finish the Wi-Fi with I2S output.  Just need time, have all the parts......

Steve N.
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2006, 09:20 pm by audioengr »