A I2S Question for Steve

JoshK

A I2S Question for Steve
« Reply #20 on: 13 May 2006, 07:28 pm »
Quote from: audioengr
Quote from: JoshK
Why is that?  Is it because it converts from another format prior to conversion to I2S?  

No, it's because the bandwidth of WIFI is insufficient to handle upsampled data streams.

Steve N.

I see, but a number of us, like myself use the wired version, which I believe isn't so limiting on bandwidth.

audioengr

A I2S Question for Steve
« Reply #21 on: 13 May 2006, 10:43 pm »
Quote from: krikor
Yes, but aren't the bandwidth restrictions eliminated when using a wired Squeezebox?  Of course for upsampled audio the limiting factor becomes the capabilities of the SB (website says it will pass a maximum 24bit/48khz digitial signal).

I would think that if you are just passing non-upsampled audio in the original CD bit/sample rate, there should be no difference between USB>I2S and SB>I2S.

From there, if you wanted to upsample, you could go into a Perpetual P-1A or some upsampling DAC ... thou ...

In theory, there should be no difference between USB to I2S and SB to I2S, but the S/W drivers and associated circuitry may make a difference.
I expect the SB with I2S to be excellent though.

Steve N.

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
A I2S Question for Steve
« Reply #22 on: 12 Jun 2006, 09:10 pm »
According to this thread at audioasylum, it appears someone has succeeded in going from Squeezebox>I2S>DAC.

So at least we know it is possible.

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/t.pl?f=pcaudio&m=12871

audioengr

A I2S Question for Steve
« Reply #23 on: 13 Jun 2006, 09:29 pm »
Quote from: krikor
According to this thread at audioasylum, it appears someone has succeeded in going from Squeezebox>I2S>DAC.

So at least we know it is possible.

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/t.pl?f=pcaudio&m=12871

Not quite I2S, and not quite ready for prime-time either.

If someone sends me a SB3, I'll put a high-performance I2S on it that can be used with my DAC's.

Steve N.