Question about I2S, Perpetual Tech P1, Versatility

kfr01

« on: 14 May 2006, 02:12 pm »
I'm finally looking to upgrade my M-Audio Sonica device to a better USB converter.

My issue:

I plan to try a variety of DACs and digital preamps, including the Tact audio room correction devices.  Thus, I'm wondering if a USB-I2S converter is wrong for me, versatility-wise.  It seems that I must stick with SPDIF somewhere in the chain to easily evaluate and use these devices.

However, I had an idea:  I buy an Empirical Audio Offramp I2S and get a P1 modded for better I2S input, then use the SPDIF output of the P1 to obtain the versatility I need while still taking advantage of USB->I2S conversion out of the computer.  

Does this make sense, or am I better off ordering a regular Empirical Offramp?

Is the Perpetual Tech. P1 neutral enough and does it "play nice" with non perpetual technlogies DACs?  

Thanks!

audioengr

Re: Question about I2S, Perpetual Tech P1, Versatility
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2006, 06:15 pm »
Quote from: kfr01
I'm finally looking to upgrade my M-Audio Sonica device to a better USB converter.

My issue:

I plan to try a variety of DACs and digital preamps, including the Tact audio room correction devices.  Thus, I'm wondering if a USB-I2S converter is wrong for me, versatility-wise.  It seems that I must stick with SPDIF somewhere in the chain to easily evaluate and use these devices.

However, I had an idea:  I buy an Empirical Audio Offramp I2S and get a P1 modded for better I2S input, then use the SPDI ...

The I2S interface on the P-1A should work in theory, but I have one modded here and I'm having some trouble with it. This particular P-1A is a bit flakey anyway.  I will try to trace the problem...

If you do not plan to use the speaker correction of the P-1A, then I would not use it.

I think any advantage of the I2S will be eliminated if you add S/PDIF after the P-1A.  Better to go I2S direct to the DAC chip.

Steve N.

kfr01

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2006, 12:35 pm »
Steve:

Thank you.  Any possibility of an I2S interface on a Tact device, then?

Karl

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2006, 04:57 pm »
Steve:

Karl

Actually, because of your question I figured-out what was wrong with the P-1A.  It was a matter of transmission-line termination.  After some rework to the P-1A, it is working great now with the Off-Ramp I2S.

I'm not familiar with TACT, so I can't answer the question.  If I knew the chips used, this might help.

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2006, 04:59 pm »
Quote from: audioengr
Steve:

Karl

Actually, because of your question I figured-out what was wrong with the P-1A.  It was a matter of transmission-line termination.  After some rework to the P-1A, it is working great now with the Off-Ramp I2S.

I'm not familiar with TACT, so I can't answer the question.  If I knew the chips used, this might help.

I would recommend using the Off-Ramp Turbo S/PDIF converter if you want versatility.

Steve N.