Will you modify the DVD-3910 when it is out?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« on: 24 Aug 2004, 03:06 am »
Dan,

The DVD-3910 is supposed to be the replacment for the 5900 at almost half the price.

Will you be modifying it?

George

mca

« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2004, 03:18 am »
Wow, I was just going to ask the same question  :o

I was just about to talk to Dan about getting my 2900 modded, then I had a look at the Denon website and read about the 3910. Sounds like it could be a great piece. So do I get the 2900 modded or wait and check out the 3910?

Marbles

« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2004, 12:35 pm »
Here is the description of the 3910 from the Denon website.

Progressive Scan DVD-Audio/Video Super Audio CD Player • Powered by the latest DCDi by Faroudja FLI-2310 Decoding Engine - Finest available processing for film, video, graphics or mixed-mode content • Adjustable Chroma Delay and Level, White/Black Levels, CCS On/Off controls • Exclusive Denon Picture Image Correction - provides for Vertical and Horizontal pixel enhancement • New ESS Vibrato "Chroma Bug Free" MPEG/DVD-Audio Decoder • Sony CXD-2753 Second Generation DSD Decoder • Dual, discrete, Analog Devices ADV-7310 - 216 MHz, 4:4:4, 12 bit Video D/A Conversion system featuring Noise Shaped Video processing (1 chip each Progressive and Interlace) • 8x Oversampling Progressive and 16x Interlace output  • Wideband relay switched component video outputs • Variable Black Level (Setup): 0 and 7.5 IRE • Passes below-black (PLUGE) on progressive and interlace outputs • (1) DVI-D (HDCP) and (1) HDMI Multi-Channel Audio Compatible, outputs with selectable 480p/720p/1080i output  • (1) each - Component Video, Composite and "S" outputs  • 2X DVD read speed; 4X CD/CD-R/CD-RW read speed; with 8MB drive buffer memory • Built-in Dolby Digital, dts, DVD-Audio and SACD decoders with 5.1 analog outputs • Burr-Brown 24-bit, 192-kHz DSD-1796 Audio DACs that decode PCM and DSD signals discretely with no cross-conversion of DSD • Full Digital Bass Management for DVD-Audio/SACD (optional), featuring dual Analog Devices Melody 100 'HammerHead' processors (DSD signals are converted to PCM) • 40/60/80/100/120Hz crossover points with 12dB high and 24dB low pass slopes; Adjustable delay time and Channel Levels • Source Direct Mode for PCM or SACD, bypasses Bass Management Speaker Configuration, but permits Channel Level and Delay Time adjustments (No conversion of DSD signals to PCM)  • MP3 and Windows Media Audio (WMA 9) Playback • Plays Audio/Video CDs; DVD-Audio/Video; Super Audio CD; DVD +/-R/RW(conditional); Audio CD-R; Audio CD-RW; Decoders for MP3 (128kbps or greater recommended) and WMA-8 (64 ~ 160kbps) CD-R/RW & DVD +/-R/RW discs • JPEG photo file viewer, Kodak Picture and Fujicolor CD compatible • HDCD decoding • New AL24 Processing Plus for all 6 Channels • 24/96 compatible digital outputs - optical and coaxial • DENON Link for connection to AVR-5803/AVR-3805 (compatible with Second Edition Units) • PCM and DSD Compatible IEEE-1394 Outputs, featuring exclusive DENON Clock Synchronized System (DCSS), a proprietary and defeatable system • Anamorphic Scaling for 4:3/16:9 Sets • 4:3 Squeeze and Zoom Controls • Pure Direct Modes to defeat unneeded portions of player for the ultimate in audio performance • 3 box, 3 block internal layout to isolate analog, digital and video circuits • SRS TruSurround • RS-232C and Remote in/out ports • Backlit remote control • Dimensions: 17.1"w x 5.2"h x 13"d • Weight 18.7 lbs. • SRP $1,299 • Click on the tech note icon to download the Users Manual in Spanish

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/products.asp?l=1&c=4

What are the restrictions on component outputs that limit them from being able to transfer an upsampled signal  of 780p or 1080i?  My TV takes component inputs and is digital "ready", but does not have the newer interfaces :-(  

I guess the question is why am I limited on what I can get from this DVDP?  Is it that the decoder for the HDMI is in the TV?

Thanks...and I know that this is asked in the wrong forum.......  

Thanks

jgubman

« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2004, 01:38 pm »
Just to be clear (and maybe save you an unneeded upgrade), the 3910 is the replacement for the 2900 the 5910 will be the 5900 replacement.

Over on the AVS board, KMMD clarifies:
The 3910 has a S/N ratio of 118dB and THD of 0.0009% (DVD-3910 New Model Info) compared to the 5900's S/N ratio of 120dB and THD of 0.0008% (DVD-5900 New Model Info). This may be partially due to the use of different DAC's. Also, the 3910 does not have independent audio and video power supplies like the 5900 and will most likely have a similar analog output stage using budget op amps, resistors and capacitors. Of course, the best way is to listen and compare the two side-by-side when the 3910 is released.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 24 Aug 2004, 02:21 pm »
Think you might have that worng...

Here is what is in the Denon release:

DVD-3910 $1,299.00, available August, 2004. It's essentially the current DVD-5900 with more capabilities, while being much less expensive. It has DVI and HDMI outputs. Dual discrete Analog Devices ADV-7310 12 bit/216MHz video converters. An RS-232 port for two way integrated system control. Denon Link technology for Digital multi-channel audio (DVD-audio only) and bass management.

There is no mention of a 5910 model.

George

jgubman

« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2004, 02:34 pm »
There's been a lot of talk over on the AVS forum about the 5910. It will be a later release than the 3910, supposedly the official announcement will be at CEDIA w/ a 2005 release date. The discussion seems to be saying if you want Denon's top-of-the-line universal player, wait for the 5910.

I'd query Kris Deering or Kal Rubinson over at AVS about the 5910, they seem to have the inside info on the unit.

jgubman

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2004, 03:30 pm »
Thanks for the clarification.

George

mca

« Reply #8 on: 27 Aug 2004, 04:55 pm »
Well, it's the 3910 that I am interested in. For the price, it looks to be a nice step up from the 2900. So how about it Dan, will it be modworthy?

StevenACNJ

modwright

ModWright's Back!
« Reply #10 on: 7 Sep 2004, 03:25 am »
Hi guys, we will DEFINITELY be investigating this unit and our standard offer of 20% off for the first customer to send us a unit as a 'guinea pig' stands.

I did read the reviews on AVS forum and it looks VERY promising.  It sounds like it has a fantastic picture for video and as long as the audio is also up to the task, then I think it will be a fantastic unit.

I expect that we will offer both a tubed and non-tubed mod and would expec mod prices to start at or about $400-$500 for non-tube mods.  Tube mods MAY or may not include an outboard supply.  If we go with an external supply, it will only be because we can provide a more advanced power supply design and will also improve performance by keeping the transformer out of the player.

All those who are interested in mods for this player should defniitely contact me and we will gladly accept the first unit from anyone interested, with which to develop the mods.  That is unless I buy one sooner :).

Thanks,

Dan