NX-Otica question

gguy

NX-Otica question
« on: 23 Aug 2020, 04:44 pm »
I have a pair of NX-Otica’s with about 30-40 hrs on them.  Through that time I have noticed that vocals have a sharp/sibilant/spittiness to them, anything with an “sssss” sound is pretty rough.  I have tried a variety of different sources and amp/preamp combos, but the sound remains.  Everything else is sounding great.  My question is, is this something normal with break in, or do I need to look elsewhere (room acoustics, etc..)?  I didn’t have this issue with my previous speakers in the same room.

Equipment tried:

Preamps: LTA micro ZOTL 2, Modwright SWL 9.0 AE, no preamp
Amps: Decware Torii MKIII (tried swapping tubes), Carver TFM-25
Digital: Sonos Connect, Topping D90 (tried multiple combinations with both and on their own)
Analog: Technics SL-1210GR, Ortofon Cadenza Blue Cart, Sutherland 20/20 pre, Lounge LCR tube pre
Interconnects: Blue Jean LC-1
Speaker Cables: Mogami W-3103
Room treatment:  Pi Audio MR. T diffusers on front walll

The NX-Oticas do not have the sonicap upgrade, but have the copper bypass cap and erse foil inductor upgrade

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: NX-Otica question
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2020, 05:43 pm »
Try reversing phase.  Spittiness is very often a result of inverted phase.

Also, put some pink noise through your system and measure the response.  Make sure it's measuring well.

Captainhemo

« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2020, 06:01 pm »
Yes, both the tweeter   and  lower  4 woofers should be wired   out of phase  on those
Definately not  normal,  shouldn't  have  a sibalance issue ....

jay

gguy

« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2020, 06:09 pm »
Try reversing phase.  Spittiness is very often a result of inverted phase.

Also, put some pink noise through your system and measure the response.  Make sure it's measuring well.

Thanks, I’ll give that a shot.

Yes, both the tweeter   and  lower  4 woofers should be wired   out of phase  on those
Definately not  normal,  shouldn't  have  a sibalance issue ....
I did wire them out of phase as they’re supposed to be.

Jaytor

« Reply #4 on: 24 Aug 2020, 02:07 pm »
I found the midrange (particularly female vocals) to be kind of rough sounding initially. But after a few weeks (probably a couple hundred hours) they really smoothed out and vocals sound fabulous. Mine have all the standard crossover upgrades though (Sonicaps included).

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2020, 02:20 am »
You have a long way to go in the burn in process. Put some time on them and then tell me what you think.

gguy

« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2020, 03:03 pm »
You have a long way to go in the burn in process. Put some time on them and then tell me what you think.
I found the midrange (particularly female vocals) to be kind of rough sounding initially. But after a few weeks (probably a couple hundred hours) they really smoothed out and vocals sound fabulous. Mine have all the standard crossover upgrades though (Sonicaps included).

Thanks for the replies, I was hoping this was the case.  I will let them run in for a while and report back.

I did try inverting phase and could not tell a difference.

tosob570

« Reply #7 on: 22 Nov 2020, 11:57 pm »
gguy

After about 3 months how do you like them now? Did they clear up? Happy with the speakers

Marty