Virtue ONE.2/TWO.2 usability questions

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Virtue ONE.2/TWO.2 usability questions
« Reply #20 on: 20 Jun 2010, 01:49 pm »
OzarkTom-THANKS!!!
 Got some Allenkeys at Walmart for $1 and jumped the jumpers!! I moved them for the high pass filter to 80hz(to use a powered sub-Polk PSW10)-very simple tweak, took less then 5 minutes and sounds wonderful. The TWO.2 sounded awesome out of the box and broken in and this easy tweak just made it sing much clearer-so its sounds Awesome+2!!!!

Rclark

« Reply #21 on: 21 Jun 2010, 02:34 am »
what's it like switched to 80hz but run without subs? Does it fall off pretty hard?

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #22 on: 21 Jun 2010, 11:43 am »
I was originally using Bookshelf speakers and a sub with the TWO.2 as shipped and it sounded great. When I moved to larger speakers I kept the full range setting again with a sub and the sound was excellent. For whatever reason when you change the jumpers and use a sub the sound is even smoother and clearer all the way around. It does not sound like it drops off really fast to me at all..that being said if you intend on using without a sub I would suggest leaving jumpers as shipped.

The thing with these units is they sound good either way you set it up, I'm personally loving the 2.1 setup with 80hz filter in place. I actually think for me I'm getting more nice tight midrange,midbass and more detail. You will be happy I think with a Virtue amp. :thumb:

dvenardos

« Reply #23 on: 21 Jun 2010, 05:29 pm »
That would also mean that all Class D subwoofer amps have phase issues with all the Class A/B receivers out there that people are using for home theater.

You will have the phase issues that I spoke about if you use a class A or class AB (analogue) amplifier for the subs. There are no (specific) phase "problems" with the Virtue amps, or the other class-T amps on the market. However, it is a fact that with class-T amps the phase changes with frequency, and it doesn't with 'analogue' amplifiers. Therefore, where the two overlap, there will be a phase issue and it won't sound right (whether you use the output from the Virtue amp, or the output from your receiver). Fortunately there are many (if not a majority) of subwoofer amps that are class-D (because they are more efficient) and they will match with a class-T amp.

It does take a bit more thought to get a more complicated system optimised!  :wink:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 22 Jun 2010, 03:12 pm »
Just to throw this out for anyone, as is my TWO.2 has no phase issues whatsoever. I have simply used it as shipped to me, the only change I made was the 80hz filter and that was very easy and took less then 5 minutes. So the phase thing if its even a "thing" is a non-issue I think...these babies are plug-N-play-N-play-N-play all day!! Haha...Enjoy!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Nuuk

• Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
    • Decibel Dungeon
« Reply #25 on: 22 Jun 2010, 06:02 pm »
Just to throw this out for anyone, as is my TWO.2 has no phase issues whatsoever. I have simply used it as shipped to me, the only change I made was the 80hz filter and that was very easy and took less then 5 minutes. So the phase thing if its even a "thing" is a non-issue I think...these babies are plug-N-play-N-play-N-play all day!! Haha...Enjoy!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

What amp are you using for the sub(s) then?

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #26 on: 22 Jun 2010, 06:52 pm »
Powered sub, I presume.  The servo stuff is truly different and amazing (bi-directional control of the woofer with feedback) but general purpose subwoofer amps work well enough and are commodity parts.  High fidelity ain't at a premium below 100 hz.  Am I right, Nick?

brother love

« Reply #27 on: 22 Jun 2010, 06:56 pm »
Many subs have phase/ delay controls (my Rythmik Audio F12G servo sub does & I've had other subs that did).

Brian Ding of Rythmik Audio wrote a good article on phase alignment: http://www.rythmikaudio.com/phase1.html

He notes that phase lag can be improved by adding distance to an HT AVR determined speaker distance.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 22 Jun 2010, 07:38 pm »
POLK-PSW-10 Powered sub, I bought it when I didn't have a clue about lo-fi,mid-fi or anything fi and its been a great performer. Only piece I have that hasn't been under the evil upgrade eye!! :thumb: :thumb:

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #29 on: 22 Jun 2010, 08:05 pm »
We use this one for testing.  It's not Rythmik, but for low-bass in a small sized room, even a modest goes a long way!  You're never going to get such low-bass out of a modest sized bookshelf speaker, ever.

jusbe

• vivo media
« Reply #30 on: 24 Jun 2010, 09:39 am »
Bi-amping with two TWO.2s.

How easy would it be to do this? At present, I am using one TWO on a pair of Epos ES11s which can be bi-amped (but are not at present). Eventually, I'd like to replace the ES11s with something like the Stirling V2 Cicables. Would I need a separate preamp to use the TWO.2s as poweramps or could one of the TWO.2s handle the input and feed the full signal to both power sections of both amps?

Cheers.

dvenardos

« Reply #31 on: 24 Jun 2010, 03:45 pm »
Without re-casing and modding the Two.2s, yes you would need a separate pre-amp since the Two.2 only has a mono out.

Bi-amping with two TWO.2s.

How easy would it be to do this? At present, I am using one TWO on a pair of Epos ES11s which can be bi-amped (but are not at present). Eventually, I'd like to replace the ES11s with something like the Stirling V2 Cicables. Would I need a separate preamp to use the TWO.2s as poweramps or could one of the TWO.2s handle the input and feed the full signal to both power sections of both amps?

Cheers.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 24 Jun 2010, 04:06 pm »
I think its possible actually-I read somewhere that it can be done pretty easily...I'll dig around to find the post...

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #33 on: 24 Jun 2010, 05:20 pm »
The buffered mono pre-amp in the ONE/TWO.2 sums the signal.  Different topology all together with Sensation.

The schemes customers invent to get the last mile out of their sound systems just amazes me ;-)  Wow!

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #34 on: 24 Jun 2010, 05:49 pm »
The cool thing is that these units can be so, so versatile. The fact that -as is- they sound amazing and can get even better with some easy tweaks just adds so much value and so many options if you want to explore them. Yesterday I listened to how I was listening to music before the TWO.2 showed up and its like night and day...this is real hifi but without the cost..but hey thats just me and my thoughts FWIW :thumb: :thumb:

jusbe

• vivo media
« Reply #35 on: 24 Jun 2010, 06:54 pm »
The buffered mono pre-amp in the ONE/TWO.2 sums the signal.  Different topology all together with Sensation.

The schemes customers invent to get the last mile out of their sound systems just amazes me ;-)  Wow!

Okay. So the Sensation will do this. What would be the necessary configuration then? Would using a 901 with a TWO.2 mean that the full frequency Tripath output from the 901 is maintained alongside a full frequency output to the TWO.2? The speaker would have its own crossover, naturally.

Cheers.

CSI

« Reply #36 on: 26 Jun 2010, 06:23 pm »
"The thing with these units is they sound good either way you set it up, I'm personally loving the 2.1 setup with 80hz filter in place. I actually think for me I'm getting more nice tight midrange,midbass and more detail. You will be happy I think with a Virtue amp."

Hi everybody,

I just ordered my TWO.2 so thought I'd jump in with a preliminary comment. Re: the above quote, I'm a bit surprised no one has elaborated further on why a 2.1 system sounds better (as it should with nearly any gear provided the mfg. does a good job with the filters - as Seth & Co. have apparently done). In addition to taking the strain off the amp (thus providing what will subjectively sound like 2-3 dB more headroom - which is like nearly doubling the power) there are enormous benefits to the speakers. In a typical 2-way system your woofers are hard pressed to produce sub 100Hz frequencies AND clean midrange at the same time. When you let them roll off below 80Hz harmonic distortion in the woofer goes way down - thus the tighter mids and lows and greater detail.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying my Virtue both ways (she said) then experimenting with upgraded power supplies.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #37 on: 29 Jun 2010, 12:37 pm »
Question, probably a dumb one...is it OK to hook up two sets of speakers to the main speaker outs. I currently have a pair of highly efficient speakers connected via bare wire and have banana plugs still wide open for a second pair of highly efficient speakers...thats doable right...I know the power will be thinned a bit but hey its worth a try, or no Ed it will blow s_it up!! :thumb:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #38 on: 29 Jun 2010, 01:00 pm »
Question, probably a dumb one...is it OK to hook up two sets of speakers to the main speaker outs. I currently have a pair of highly efficient speakers connected via bare wire and have banana plugs still wide open for a second pair of highly efficient speakers...thats doable right...I know the power will be thinned a bit but hey its worth a try, or no Ed it will blow s_it up!! :thumb:

What are the specs for the two pairs? 

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #39 on: 29 Jun 2010, 01:11 pm »
JBL L20T are 6 ohm, Sensitivity 87db for 2.83V @ 1M
JBL 4312A's are 8ohm, Sensitivity 91 db 1W 1M.......thats not gonna work is it?? Ohms have to match up correct?