Pass Labs XA200.8 vs Cherry KING Desktop Maraschino (monoblocks)

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
A quick comparison....

Cherry: Proprietary alternate-topology Class-D, DC coupled, 100KHz bandwidth
Pass: Class-A, AC coupled, 100KHz bandwidth

Cherry is about 1/10th the price, 1/14th the weight, and has 1/4 the idle noise, 1/10 the idle power consumption, and more than 2x the damping factor (and Cherry is wideband, Pass is unspecified).

Think I'll pass on the Pass  8)  Cherry wins!

dpatters

Nothing like tooting your own horn...

oskar

To Amp Designer: I think that is worthy information.

RonN5

There are a lot of reasons people buy amplifier A over amplifier B..."looks, status, reliability, sound, price, size....."

I've owned the 2Cherry for more than a year now.  Clarity, Realism, Tone, Dynamics, Soundstage, Musicality....not only a fantastic sounding amplifier but an absolute bargain at the price.

Hopefully, a few people have heard one the Pass amps and one of the Cherry amps and can post a few comparative comments about they hear...and most importantly, the other equipment in their system, their room and their music selection.

dpatters

A quick comparison....

Cherry: Proprietary alternate-topology Class-D, DC coupled, 100KHz bandwidth
Pass: Class-A, AC coupled, 100KHz bandwidth

Cherry is about 1/10th the price, 1/14th the weight, and has 1/4 the idle noise, 1/10 the idle power consumption, and more than 2x the damping factor (and Cherry is wideband, Pass is unspecified).

Think I'll pass on the Pass  8)  Cherry wins!

Have you ever heard the Pass Labs amps? If so, please provide your listening impressions, other components in the system, types of music played etc.

oskar

Do you understand that you are posting in the DAC circle.
What is the problem with a site sponsor commenting on their own products?
I'm sure that PASS products are great; they certainly have many people touting their performance.
I'm more intrigued with products that hit way a above their price point.
All relative of course.

dpatters

No worries. I just dont feel a manufacturer should post comments on a comparison of a product they have never listened to. This is an Audio hobby.

PMAT

Click-bait self promotion for people googling for Pass? Unfortunately it feels like a low class sophomoric stunt. Nelson Pass, Pass Labs, First Watt and Pass DIY are all proven class acts spanning decades. Pass customer service and support for the DIY community is peerless. I’m embarrassed just reading the post.

Phil A

There are some independent reviews of similar items.  I've not heard either amp noted in this thread so I have no personal comments.  Here's one review take - https://hometheaterreview.com/digital-amplifier-company-megaschino-power-amplifier-reviewed/

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
+1 on the Maraschino.
Class A amps are nice to listen in the friends house but not to own, they run too hot and after 1 or 2 years all inside components are fried on my experience, along this the Pass price are beyond the excessive as usual on all Pass associated brands.
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2020, 04:22 am by FullRangeMan »

RonN5

When I saw Tommy's post...it struck me as an interesting comparison.  You can name names like Pass, McIntosh, Luxman and many others that have a great reputation for their sound, build, looks, etc...and maybe for not as long, but Cherry has been getting pretty good reviews for it's sound as well.

I viewed the post as implying that Pass is a great amp...and Cherry is pretty good too.  And if you don't have the budget, the space, the ability to handle the heat, etc., then Cherry has an advantage in these areas and should be on your consideration list.

As for the "Cherry wins" at the end....for me, the smiley face just lightens the whole thing up a bit.

I.Greyhound Fan

+1 on the Maraschino.
Class A amps are nice to listen in the friends house but not to own, they run too hot and after 1 or 2 years all inside components are fried on my experience, along this the Pass price are beyond the excessive as usual on all Pass associated brands.

My Pass amp is 15 years old and still running strong.   My BAT preamp with 8 tubes gets even hotter and it is about the same age without issues.

Phil A

With any component that generates lots of heat, manufacturers will generally have recommendations for proper ventilation.  There's many audio racks that don't have sufficient ventilation for specific manufacturer recommendations.  In my old house, I framed around the (Target) rack I had so the it sat inside the unfinished part of the basement.  For an older receiver I had at one point, I had it on the top shelf so there was ventilation above it and drilled holes in the sides of the adjacent walls so that it was able to get ventilation (pic below)

dpatters

+1 on the Maraschino.
Please let us know what Pass Lab Class A amps fried on you. This is a company with decades of longstanding customer service and support. Their reliability in the long term can’t be questioned. I don’t own Pass amps or Cherry amps. I’m still wondering why the topic was presented to begin with except for self promotion. I would certainly hope the op would please chime in as to his intentions. Nuff said.

oskar

I will speculate that his intentions were to promote the product that he designs and builds.

rajacat

• Washington State
The OP should've posted it in the Solid State circle. IMO it's bad taste, especially for the sponsor of an industry circle, to post about competitor's gear on his own circle. He should leave those comparisons to his customers.

ehider

I agree with the statement "Cherry wins" ...

Cherry wins the biggest Ego award! ...IMHO  :wink:

rajacat

• Washington State
I think that he wants to keep establishing new threads as a way of creating more online visibility IOW, advertising.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
I will speculate that his intentions were to promote the product that he designs and builds.
Correct.  A customer asked me to pick a well known amp to compare against, so I did.  Digital Amp Co is a customer driven company. I’m proud of what I have created; not just the products, but the company itself even more.  I’m honored by the positive comments regarding Cherry products!  Thanks for your kind words.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Anyone aside from me that has heard BOTH ??