Looking for your Best Jazz Guitar Recommendations

jackman

Re: Looking for your Best Jazz Guitar Recommendations
« Reply #60 on: 9 May 2011, 11:04 pm »
At my local used cd store this afternoon, & came across a copy of this & scarfed it up (along w/ Sonny Rollins- Colossus).  Sounds great. Thanks for the recommend mgalusha!.  :thumb:

You did well, that recording is regarded as one of the best Jazz guitar pieces of all time and essential to any Jazz guitar lover. 

I have a couple other suggestions that I forgot earlier.  I highly recommend:

-  Scofield (he has several great albums and is a true artist).

-  George Benson - when he was young (before the singing career) he was regarded as one of the best Jazz guitar slingers on the planet.  Check out his debut album, It's Uptown, and his follow-up album Ready and Able.  The guitar work on both of these albums is some of the best ever laid down on vinyl (or CD!).   George's solo work on Ready and Able is breathtaking and his technique is mind boggling. It's not just his speed, his melodies  and chord progressions are amazing.  Both are essential Jazz guitar CD's. 

George doesn't get much love these days fromo Jazz lovers because he gave up straight Jazz a long time ago.  In 1965 and 1966, he was about as good as it got in the Jazz guitar world.  My old guitar teacher turned me on to these and I still have them on vinyl (i think, but I don't have a TT setup anymore). 

Also, Gentle Rain and Plum are two other great Benson records.  The final record is George at the top of his game. 

If you are ever in Chicago, make sure to catch Bobby Broom.  A great local player.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSbpX17N6sY

Tbadder1

« Reply #61 on: 14 May 2011, 04:34 am »
I've got two opposites I'm in love with.  Grant Green's First Stand and the McLaughlin/Santana collaboration.  Their version of Love Supreme is really moving.

50jess

« Reply #62 on: 8 Sep 2011, 05:43 am »
Joe Pass solo guitar CDs.  Great playing and quality recording.

jackman

« Reply #63 on: 8 Sep 2011, 12:42 pm »
Pass is an absolute genius.  There are lots of great players but he is special.  Anyone interested in Jazz guitar should give him a listen. 

50jess

« Reply #64 on: 8 Sep 2011, 01:36 pm »
Thre are a new breed of excellent jazz guitarists worth checking out - the likes of Jonathan Kriesberg, Lage Lund, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Gilad Hekselman, Dave Stryker, Mike Moreno, etc etc.

rofo

« Reply #65 on: 8 Sep 2011, 02:57 pm »
anything by Lenny Breau. Some say he was the best guitar player ever.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenny_Breau

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #66 on: 8 Sep 2011, 03:15 pm »
Terje Rypdal-ECM- Experimental, way out there jazz
Lee Ritenour- Session cat, excellent known worldwide
Larry Carlton-Session guy, same level as Lee..the albums they have done together are phenomenal
Pat Metheny, Pat Metheny Group-Fusion- these guys turned music into a very serious thing for me
The four of these guys always entertain me.....polished cats A1 Rating

steve k

« Reply #67 on: 8 Sep 2011, 03:39 pm »
Of the old cats, I'd recommend  anything by:
Tal Farlow
Joe Pass
Herb Ellis
Wes Montgomery
Jim Hall
Barney Kessel

jjc1

« Reply #68 on: 8 Sep 2011, 09:51 pm »

Russel Malone

coverto

« Reply #69 on: 24 Jan 2012, 02:17 am »

Here's an insanely enjoyable and massively chilled out album...