• Industry Contributor
Re: Triple 12" OB H-frames
« Reply #100 on: 13 Jun 2015, 04:48 pm »
Wow, I am going to need 12 sheets of NoRez!   :o

Captainhemo

« Reply #101 on: 13 Jun 2015, 04:56 pm »
Wow, I am going to need 12 sheets of NoRez!   :o

Too funny,  I was just telling Don yesterday how much no rez you'd be needing for your sickness, or I mean project!!.

jay

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #102 on: 13 Jun 2015, 06:14 pm »
Hoping for a quantity discount!   :D

rak313

« Reply #103 on: 14 Jun 2015, 02:29 am »
hey Larry

All of the 6   driver cavities (3 front / 3rear) get lined with no res from baffle to basically the front edge to help reduce any cabint resonance.   Those sections are basically 6.5" x 13"  panels surrounding each driver.  Just trim about 1.25" of the foam from the baffle edge of the no rez to give the driver some clearence  .  On the  12's,  one sheet per driver works out  perfect.

jay

Do you really think the no-res is necessary, since this is not a closed cabinet?  Maybe for the sides but surely not for the front and back braces (as the pressure on the braces is balanced by the drivers - and shouldn't cause vibration).

Captainhemo

« Reply #104 on: 14 Jun 2015, 04:27 am »
Danny can better answer that but   I can tell you,  even in OB configuration, these drivers put a LOT of force on the cabinets.   
Necessary, no probably not, worthwhile, I'd say most definitely yes.  You can say that about pretty much any  place you are going to use no-rez.
If you are going this far why not do it right, my   $.02 of course

jay

bdp24

« Reply #105 on: 14 Jun 2015, 10:45 am »
Do you really think the no-res is necessary, since this is not a closed cabinet?  Maybe for the sides but surely not for the front and back braces (as the pressure on the braces is balanced by the drivers - and shouldn't cause vibration).
Danny has said that for H-frames the floor tile method of damping the MDF walls is an acceptable economy alternative to NoRez. Make sure to get the heavy (over a lb. each, at 12" square!) Armstrong non-Peel & Stick composite tiles. They have the ability to damp the physical resonance of the MDF, but not absorb acoustic energy. Since the frames are Open Baffles that doesn't matter.

rak313

« Reply #106 on: 14 Jun 2015, 03:57 pm »
Danny has said that for H-frames the floor tile method of damping the MDF walls is an acceptable economy alternative to NoRez. Make sure to get the heavy (over a lb. each, at 12" square!) Armstrong non-Peel & Stick composite tiles. They have the ability to damp the physical resonance of the MDF, but not absorb acoustic energy. Since the frames are Open Baffles that doesn't matter.

I would think  1 1/2" thick MDF sides, with those braces and open to the air, would not need no-res.  (I am a firm believer of no-res in a sealed box.) 

I see the point of not cheeping out after going to all of the trouble of building such a good sub, but at $50 added per driver, that is quite expensive. 

The floor tile method is interesting.

Edit: It would be really interesting to see someone put an accelerometer on the sides before/after applying no-res to the open baffle configuration and compare.
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2015, 05:53 pm by rak313 »

Captainhemo

« Reply #107 on: 15 Jun 2015, 02:00 am »
Purple heart amp boxes.    got the amps installed /wired this afternoon ,  waiting on wire to  do the other tower

jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #108 on: 15 Jun 2015, 02:08 am »
I would think  1 1/2" thick MDF sides, with those braces and open to the air, would not need no-res.  (I am a firm believer of no-res in a sealed box.) 

I see the point of not cheeping out after going to all of the trouble of building such a good sub, but at $50 added per driver, that is quite expensive. 

The floor tile method is interesting.

Edit: It would be really interesting to see someone put an accelerometer on the sides before/after applying no-res to the open baffle configuration and compare.

yeah, you can use the floor tiles/OCF , I've done it before in box speakers (X LS Encores) and you  know what ?  It is a major PITA if yo ask me,  I hate working with contact cement  and  just too mcuh cutting, basically double if you use the OCF on top.  I believe danny posted some time ago you'd get about 70% of the  dampening effect of no -rez, guess if you are happy with that and don't mind the extra work...
No rez is so dam easy to work with, cut it on the table saw,  PSA , no  fumes and, it works better !!

As I mentined  earlier, don't let the OB desing lead yo ubelieve there isn't much preasure/impact on the cabinets.    You'd be pretty surpriesed I think.

LOl , gues we could debate this forever  ,    if I were ever building more or building more for a customer,  there will be an adequet supply of no-rez coming with the other components..

PS, there's got to be a good reason Danny uses it in the Super V's, Super 7's,   tripl3 12 towers  for the LSX's  etc throughout the  cabinets

jay

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #109 on: 15 Jun 2015, 01:38 pm »
yeah, you can use the floor tiles/OCF , I've done it before in box speakers (X LS Encores) and you  know what ?  It is a major PITA if yo ask me,  I hate working with contact cement  and  just too mcuh cutting, basically double if you use the OCF on top.  I believe danny posted some time ago you'd get about 70% of the  dampening effect of no -rez, guess if you are happy with that and don't mind the extra work...
No rez is so dam easy to work with, cut it on the table saw,  PSA , no  fumes and, it works better !!

As I mentined  earlier, don't let the OB desing lead yo ubelieve there isn't much preasure/impact on the cabinets.    You'd be pretty surpriesed I think.

LOl , gues we could debate this forever  ,    if I were ever building more or building more for a customer,  there will be an adequet supply of no-rez coming with the other components..

PS, there's got to be a good reason Danny uses it in the Super V's, Super 7's,   tripl3 12 towers  for the LSX's  etc throughout the  cabinets

jay

Yep, that's all true.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #110 on: 15 Jun 2015, 01:40 pm »
Purple heart amp boxes.    got the amps installed /wired this afternoon ,  waiting on wire to  do the other tower

jay

Very nice Jay

lokie

« Reply #111 on: 27 Jun 2015, 03:05 pm »
Can you post specific pictures (the best you can anyway) of the no-res application?

Does it change the dimensions worth mentioning?

Also, can someone point me to a the plans for a 3 x 12" cabinet? And notes regarding wiring and (series etc..) and the specs on efficiency and resulting ohms?

Gracious.

Captainhemo

« Reply #112 on: 27 Jun 2015, 04:36 pm »
Can you post specific pictures (the best you can anyway) of the no-res application?

Does it change the dimensions worth mentioning?

Also, can someone point me to a the plans for a 3 x 12" cabinet? And notes regarding wiring and (series etc..) and the specs on efficiency and resulting ohms?

Gracious.

Hi lokie
The no rez is extremely easy to apply.    Becauase the  inner enclosure dimension for each driver is  13" x 13" X 6.5"  (each side)  I cut  each sheet of no rez into a 13" x 27" and a 11" x 27" strip (do all the sheets  like this before moving on).  Then I set my saw to  6.375" and cut all my pieces.  The 13"  strps go on the top  and bottom panels of each driver while the 11" strips  go vertially. You'll also need to  cut approx 1.25" of foam off the no res on the inner  edge of  each  piece for driver cleearence.  A few of the pieces will be notched in one corner to expose the holes drilled for the wiring but you can do that  as you  are installing the no rez.

The no rez uses a PSA so it is  basically peel & stick once you've got  everything cut.   Just be sure to apply to a very clean surface and use as much preasure as possible on each piece as you install it. 
Sometime today I'll  grab a couple pics of a mock  install as  I'm  still  waiting on the wire to  finish the 2nd cabinet so all the no rez is cut and trimmed,  just not installed.

Wiring is pretty  straight forward.  Parallel all the driver coils together with the middle  (rear facing) driver  being  wired out of phase.  The servo coils are wired in series, so start at the botto.  Go red from the amp to red on the bottom servo coil -> black from that coil to black on  middle servo coilo-> red -> red on top  servo coil,  then black from amp  to black on top servo coil (note that the middle servo coil is again out of phase  but in series).
I did up a couple quick little diagrams  for soneone else a while back , here they are:

Noe, this is assuming you've got the middle driver reversed. If it was facing forward, you'd just  wire it all in  phase.

Remember to  grab a couple of the 4 pole connectors from Danny when you order you  parts. Don't forget when you wire the  plugs, they need to be mirrors of each other so 2 of the 4 wires will need to be  reversed (which 2 depends on how you wire the plugs)

Not sure there are any actual drawing  for the triples.  I based mine off teh dual drawing and made  a few  changes (slight change to brace lauyout, dados , etc).    While I don't have a PDF , I do have a  little word doc I can send you with a cct list and other details  that  I used for  these.  LMK if yo uwant it

Will grab you a few pics later today
jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #113 on: 27 Jun 2015, 08:04 pm »
Here you....
After cuttingit all, just a matter of  peel and stick  :thumb:

Here's the trimmed edge, do this to every piece on the edge that goes up against the driver

Then it's  just a matter of peeling off the  backing...

Do the bottom piece

ZThen the top piece....

Finally slip in the  2 11" pices on the sides

Repeat for the other  44 pieces of no-rez.... or in Rich's case, the other 92  !!   :lol:
Remember, apply to a clean surface and try and  rub down each piece as you apply it with  preasure as best you can.  The no-rez actually adheres very well.

jay
« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2015, 09:20 pm by Captainhemo »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #114 on: 27 Jun 2015, 09:00 pm »
I didn't think No Rez would make much of a difference with an OB sub like mine, so I ran my Super 7's for a while without it installed, then put it in after a few weeks.  Uhm, yeah, that's a nice upgrade.

Captainhemo

« Reply #115 on: 27 Jun 2015, 09:27 pm »
I didn't think No Rez would make much of a difference with an OB sub like mine, so I ran my Super 7's for a while without it installed, then put it in after a few weeks.  Uhm, yeah, that's a nice upgrade.

That's why I was saying ealier in the thread if someone is  going to do them,  there really isn't any point in holding back  over a few sheets of no-rez.
I've never done the   sans no rez  test in the OB subs, but  I didn't figure Danny would be installing it if it didn't make a  signifgant difference.  The V series subs, the Super 7['s,  and the  triple subs for the LSX  all use it (lots of other examples too but as you know,  those are all OB subs)

jay

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #116 on: 27 Jun 2015, 09:39 pm »
I think it doesn't just quiet the panel vibration, I also think there might be a bit of cone noise that it absorbs too.  I think that some of these cones might generate home higher order harmonics that make it easier to locate the bass woofers, and maybe the norez damps that down significantly too.  Or at least that's my WAG.

Early B.

« Reply #117 on: 27 Jun 2015, 10:03 pm »
I have a pair of dual 12" OB H-frames currently without no rez.

When I look in my tool box, I've got some scissors, a couple of hack saws, and a circular saw that I never use.

How do I cut the no rez if I lack the commercial-quality tools you guys have? How much no rez do I need to order?
(To be honest, I'd really prefer to pay someone to pre-cut and ship the no rez to me.)

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #118 on: 27 Jun 2015, 10:13 pm »
 Danny will guide you about the amount.  As far as cutting... This isn't rocket science.  Use a straight edge and a Sharpie to mark the no-Rez on the vinyl side, set the blade of your circular saw at about 1/4 to 1/2" depth, cut, then finish the cuts with a sharp knife.  Easy peasy.

Captainhemo

« Reply #119 on: 27 Jun 2015, 10:20 pm »
^^
| |

yup, simple.
1 sheet per driver  for  12's, almost  zero  left over